Cycling DRY live rock progress thread (with photos)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should be good. Any ammonia will trigger the cycle and the shrimp was more than enough to do it. Just wait for the transition of ammonia to nitrites to nitrates.

OP
OP
T

TPetty84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty. I was just a little concerned that the shrimp in such a small volume of water left such trace amounts of ammonia. I used two separate test kits to confirm

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of this for seeding. I worked in a LFS/reef shop, and aside from my own tanks, I recommended bio-spira to most new tank builds - and the stuff cleared up a few crashes overnight as well, including the boss' 90 gal prem reef that crashed due to a power failure while he was in Thailand. I seeded with bio-spira, about 25% more than they recommended and never had it fail to have tank within parameters within a couple of days. Now.... I wouldn't put sensitive specimens in right away, but that's what I will do when I start a system again. I moved from CA to NE last year and brought two boxes of my most cherished pieces, so I will be cleaning and reseeding them as well. Like the idea of using a piece of shrimp though for what will be a nutrient depleted environment with it being dead rock to start. Great thread!

OP
OP
T

TPetty84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input. To be honest, I was a little concerned not too many people cared or read this thread. The encouragement is very helpful!!

Gazog2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a pretty good chance that you won't get anymore Ammonia than you already have. I have cycled dry rock before with out even cleaning it and never even registered anything. Where are your other parameters at right now?

Another note, next time when cleaning rocks like that use some Fresh RODI water, Bleach and some Dechlorinator. Soaking the rocks in vinegar isn't really going to do much besides melt off a very small amount of the rock since it consists of mainly calcium carbonate and vinegar is really good at removing Calcium and lime deposits.

Bleach how ever will kill off any algae cells and pretty much anything else that may reside in and on the rocks. You have to remember that some algaes can live on pretty much for ever while dry and come back to life with a vengeance then to be a real PITA in a reef tank.

Once you soak them in Bleach and water and do a light scrubbing on the rocks all you have to do is soak the rocks in fresh water RODI and a good dosing (about twice what it calls for) of a good dechlorinator. After soaking for a few hours you can move them right into your tank or Cycling container with out any issues.

This is also a good way of cleaning and storing reef rock when not in use. Then when you need it you just toss it into the tank and go.

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriotic acid is fun too.

Also someone must care about youre thread. They posted it on teh facebook page ;)

OP
OP
T

TPetty84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395280052.537593.jpg

Water cleared up nicely. Finally got more ammonia showing up. Tested at about .75 ppm. Still no nitrites or nitrates

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm concidering making my own agrocrete rock to add to my tank for plates, caves and bridges. This is good info for making them live.

Following along!

Jackie

OP
OP
T

TPetty84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm concidering making my own agrocrete rock to add to my tank for plates, caves and bridges. This is good info for making them live.

Following along!

Jackie

Thanks Jackie! If you're starting with dry new material, there won't be anything to die off inside. Since you have an established tank already, I THINK you would be ok with just giving it a good rinse in RO/DI to get any loose particles off and then just put it in your tank. The bacteria will colonize the new rock from what you already have. Thanks for following!!

OP
OP
T

TPetty84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked water parameters. Ammonia spiked to 2.0ppm. Still no nitrites or nitrates. Lesson so far: PATIENCE

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back