Cycling DRY live rock progress thread (with photos)

OP
OP
T

TPetty84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp went from dead gray to "cooked" pink overnight. It's hard to see in the picture through the murky water
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394053275.193926.jpg

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you "cycling" the rock to put it into an existing tank or are you building a new tank?

OP
OP
T

TPetty84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is following this thread and has ANY advise for me please feel free to post. Also, if nobody cares let me know haha. At what point should I do a water change? It's just starting to get a minor smell, I haven't done any ammonia/nitrite/nitrate tests yet.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't change water while cycling. You want the bacteria to turn the ammonia into nitrites and then into nitrates

OP
OP
T

TPetty84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. As I stated at the beginning, I'm no expert. Just going off what I've read and the one time I bought "live" rock online it went through a full cycle in tank making my apartment smell like a marsh at low tide for 2 weeks haha. ANY info is greatly appreciated. Glad to have good people watching over me!

OP
OP
T

TPetty84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day three with shrimp in the mix. Ammonia is just starting to be produced. Got a reading of just under .25ppm. Let the games begin!

787will

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean what bacteria are you using to process the ammonia from the raw shrimp? could be a single piece of established live rock, bio-spira, dr tims....

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mean what bacteria are you using to process the ammonia from the raw shrimp? could be a single piece of established live rock, bio-spira, dr tims....

You can seed this way, but you don't have to. Could just use the shrimp and let the bacteria grow on their own as nature seeds them.

OP
OP
T

TPetty84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing a lot of reading, I came to believe the slower and more naturally these tanks mature, the better they seem to fare over the long term. So I decided to add the shrimp as an ammonia producer and let the bacteria naturally propagate over time in response. We shall see....

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing a lot of reading, I came to believe the slower and more naturally these tanks mature, the better they seem to fare over the long term. So I decided to add the shrimp as an ammonia producer and let the bacteria naturally propagate over time in response. We shall see....
Wow, I didn't realize that. Good to know.

OP
OP
T

TPetty84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394672701.576370.jpg

Water is clearing up a bit. Ammonia hasn't risen though. The table shrimp seems to have crumbled and I can't find it. No nitrites or nitrates showing yet.

OP
OP
T

TPetty84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so when I started this cycle, I could barely see the tops of the rocks because the water was so cloudy. The water is now clear enough that I can see right to the bottom no problem. My issue is: I've had a shrimp in 10 gallons of water for about ten days and it is completely dissolved (I looked under rocks and all). But my ammonia is holding steady at <.25. I can't see how a decomposed shrimp in 10 gals gave this little ammonia. Also, still no ITES or ATES

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back