Cycling New Tank but with Live Rocks from the Ocean?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Did not know about that- coral hithchikers on live rocks near the surface.

As of the others, mantis yeah, I will get rid and set free on the sea. But are crabs really that bad? Should I get rid of them too?
Depends on the crab, but yeah they can wreak havoc on corals and fish. Even crabs we deem as reef safe are not always reef safe some more often than not go rouge. Some crabs are adept at catching unsuspecting fish while others just wait for a fish to sleep. I have seen emerald crabs destroy lps corals because they want the food the lps was given others just decide the lps is tasty. Typically if the claws are pointed they are not "reef safe" if the tips look like little cups or are flattened then their primary food is probably algae, but all crabs are opportunistic so caution is warranted.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the pinchers on the crabs. If the pinchers are spoon shaped, they are fine but if the pincher are pointed, it is best to remove them. Crabs are like hermit crabs but bigger and much more mobile. The spoon shaped pinchers are mainly herbivores while the pointed shape pinchers are mainly carnivores/omnivores.

I don’t worry about disease, however pest on these would be something to look for. You got the best live rock available. I am envious of you.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the pinchers on the crabs. If the pinchers are spoon shaped, they are fine but if the pincher are pointed, it is best to remove them. Crabs are like hermit crabs but bigger and much more mobile. The spoon shaped pinchers are mainly herbivores while the pointed shape pinchers are mainly carnivores/omnivores.

I don’t worry about disease, however pest on these would be something to look for. You got the best live rock available. I am envious of you.
Couldn't have said it better myself! lol jk

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoon shaped pincher
MG_4477.jpg

OP
OP
BadObsession

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the crab, but yeah they can wreak havoc on corals and fish. Even crabs we deem as reef safe are not always reef safe some more often than not go rouge. Some crabs are adept at catching unsuspecting fish while others just wait for a fish to sleep. I have seen emerald crabs destroy lps corals because they want the food the lps was given others just decide the lps is tasty. Typically if the claws are pointed they are not "reef safe" if the tips look like little cups or are flattened then their primary food is probably algae, but all crabs are opportunistic so caution is warranted.

Thanks again! Didnt know that(about the pincers), good thing most I see on the live rocks and on the beaches have spoon shaped pincers. I think the only time I see sharp ones are the ones at the supermarket.

Anyway, putting the rocks on quarantine, but a few of them suddenly smells rotten. Maybe the hitchhikers inside died? The rest seem fine though.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool looking crab. I am not a fan of crabs in the tank, even if I was that one I wouldnt trust....maybe its the color or the grumpy face lol.
Racist!!!!!!
Just because it is red, it doesn’t mean that it is a killer!!!!
;)

OP
OP
BadObsession

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go guys. Not much livestocks yet but so far, it is flourishing(3 weeks up and all the hitchikers are alive and well, including the few livestock I placed).

Didnt add much yet because my lights did not arrive yet(ordered a good one from Amazon, those sold locally are small).

Predator tank's water is a bit blurry. Might do a 50% or more water change. While the reef tank is crystal clear. Parameters all good too.
IMG_1379.jpeg
IMG_1413.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back