Cycling

library 112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So first saltwater aquarium and currently at day 15 cycling. Used dr Tim’s in my 112 that I set up with mostly dry rock and one small live rock. At 7 days I registered 2.5+ Ammonia (Hanna won’t go higher) and 2.5 nitrate. I did water change and took measurements ammonia still 2.5+ nitrates now 5.5 and diatoms appeared about 2 days ago. Trying to be patient but with ammonia staying that high for day 15 starting to worry. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Do you have any livestock in the tank now, or is this a fishless cycle?

For fishless cycle, the only problem with your ammonia going too high is it will potentially damage the biofilter that's trying to get established. 2.50 ppm is typically the concentration where you'd want to start to worry. But without fish or livestock, I'd be tempted just to let it go and let it run its course. Others with more experience may offer better advice. Good luck with your build!

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Dr. Tims is known to take a little while to get going - there's a thread about different cycling bacteria where you can learn more

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So first saltwater aquarium and currently at day 15 cycling. Used dr Tim’s in my 112 that I set up with mostly dry rock and one small live rock. At 7 days I registered 2.5+ Ammonia (Hanna won’t go higher) and 2.5 nitrate. I did water change and took measurements ammonia still 2.5+ nitrates now 5.5 and diatoms appeared about 2 days ago. Trying to be patient but with ammonia staying that high for day 15 starting to worry. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
I'd add a little flake food to simulate fish feeding and see how it goes. Normally it'll be done by 3 or 4 weeks.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add a little flake food to simulate fish feeding and see how it goes. Normally it'll be done by 3 or 4 weeks.
Why? The OP is already at high ammonia levels. What would adding more nitrogenous waste do here? It's unclear to me, but I *think* the OP is doing a fishless cycle and therefore likely dosing ammonium chloride. If so, that's all the ammonia the OP would need. In my opinion, he just needs more time. As you said, 3-4 weeks, and all the OP has to do is be patient and the tank will cycle on its own.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? The OP is already at high ammonia levels. What would adding more nitrogenous waste do here? It's unclear to me, but I *think* the OP is doing a fishless cycle and therefore likely dosing ammonium chloride. If so, that's all the ammonia the OP would need. In my opinion, he just needs more time. As you said, 3-4 weeks, and all the OP has to do is be patient and the tank will cycle on its own.
Fish food promotes a more realistic environment in my view. It also adds phosphorus, perhaps devoid in an ammonia only cycle.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not add any more ammonia. (Fish food is fine, but no more drops!!)
Agreed! I wanted to mention, if you're dosing ammonia chloride, then back off a little for sure.

But why add fish food? It's just a source of ammonia that is already being added (or coming off the dry rock and sand, possibly). If there's something I'm missing about adding fish food, please let me know.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish food promotes a more realistic environment in my view. It also adds phosphorus, perhaps devoid in an ammonia only cycle.
Why is phosphorous important to the ammonia cycle? I think this is just a throw back to when we used to toss a piece of table shrimp in the tank and wait for the smell to stop, which I think I last tried in 1984.

I'm not an expert, so please correct me, but adding fish food is just a source of ammonia, and if the OP is dosing ammonium chloride (and I'm only guessing), there's no reason to add extra organic waste at this point.

Am I missing something?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A cycle when two things occur. . . . when ammonia rises then falls and holds a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- then you are cycled.
Did you add ammonia chloride or something to increase ammonia initially ?
If you are using API kits , I would suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS and see what numbers they come up with and to compare with yours then you will know where your readings are at.
A typical cycle period is 7-21 days with dry rock and you want to stock very slowly to allow denitrifying bacteria to keep up with new bioload as tank matures

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 Do you see any reason to add fish food to this tank, assuming the OP is dosing ammonium chloride and already at >2.50ppm?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is phosphorous important to the ammonia cycle? I think this is just a throw back to when we used to toss a piece of table shrimp in the tank and wait for the smell to stop.

I'm not an expert, so please correct me, but adding fish food is just a source of ammonia, and if the OP is dosing ammonium chloride (and I'm only guessing), there's no reason to add extra organic waste at this point.

Am I missing something?
Throwback, maybe. I haven't started many tanks over the last 20 years, but it's always worked out fine, and I've never seen a Dino in person. Just my experience input as the OP requested.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throwback, maybe. I haven't started many tanks over the last 20 years, but it's always worked out fine, and I've never seen a Dino in person. Just my experience input as the OP requested.
And no part of me was trying to be hostile or augmentative, I'm sincerely asking. I remember starting tanks this way. I was out of the hobby for a long while, and I'm just getting going again, but I researched a lot about fishless cycling (again, I am only assuming this is what the OP is doing), and I'm just not sure that adding fish food is a good idea at this point, especially with the already elevated ammonia levels. I'm not an expert here at all, and I don't claim to be, so please let me know if I'm missing something.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All living matter requires phosphorous.
Of course, but do the bacteria involved in processing nitrogenous waste in our aquaria really need measurable (by our test kits) levels of phosphorous? I'm not sure, and worry it would lead to algae growth later.

Here's a great talk by Dr. Tim Hovenec from Dr. Tim's aquatics on fishless cycling aquaria using Dr. Tim's products. I don't think he mentioned phosphorus in this whole talk.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And no part of me was trying to be hostile or augmentative, I'm sincerely asking. I remember starting tanks this way. I was out of the hobby for a long while, and I'm just getting going again, but I researched a lot about fishless cycling (again, I am only assuming this is what the OP is doing), and I'm just not sure that adding fish food is a good idea at this point, especially with the already elevated ammonia levels. I'm not an expert here at all, and I don't claim to be, so please let me know if I'm missing something.
If you look at the link in post #3 most bacteria additives meet the type of timescale that we got back in the day. There are a few live bacterial cultures that are quicker, for sure. I did a little experiment a while ago where the cycle didn't really get going until I added fish, and the associated waste. Coincidence, maybe.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the link in post #3 most bacteria additives meet the type of timescale that we got back in the day. There are a few live bacterial cultures that are quicker, for sure. I did a little experiment a while ago where the cycle didn't really get going until I added fish, and the associated waste. Coincidence, maybe.
OK, I get you. And yes, back in the day I kicked off a few marine tanks using either the "hardy" clown fish or large hermit crab, or by allowing something like a shrimp to decay in the tank. It does work for sure, though it can be stinky, you have to agree lol!

I have more recently been a fan of the fishless cycling method, to me it makes sense. I also know that many members here regard bottled bacteria as worthless "snake oil".

This is all just my $0.02. I would encourage the OP to listen to the advice from the more experienced reefers here at R2R.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back