d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey D2 everything looking great as usual. You have had a lot of sponges, I just aquired a red finger and have no idea how to mount it, do I just stick it in the crevice of a rock? and by the way I'm bare bottom( no snickering) I also have a clam cradle, could I glue it to that? suggestions please

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey D2 everything looking great as usual. You have had a lot of sponges, I just aquired a red finger and have no idea how to mount it, do I just stick it in the crevice of a rock? and by the way I'm bare bottom( no snickering) I also have a clam cradle, could I glue it to that? suggestions please
The sponges that have a solid base to them can be glued/epoxied to other rock. shells, etc. If it's just bare sponge tissue you can shove it in a crevice or thread some fishing line or something through it and tie it to something.
Remember to do this under water.

And FWIW, the red ones are always the first to die on me. Mine didn't even make it 6 months this time around.
The orange tree sponges and yellow ball sponges do much better for me.

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks for such a quick response.Did not know they were an issue always saw them looking really great in your tank, first one I've owned so Ill just give it my best
Thanks much

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks for such a quick response.Did not know they were an issue always saw them looking really great in your tank, first one I've owned so Ill just give it my best
Thanks much
Yeah, since I've been using TBS for years, I'm quite familiar with the various sponge lifespans in captivity. At least in MY captivity. :D
As always, YMMV and I wish you the best of luck, but in talking with Richard at TBS my experiences have been pretty on par.
Try areas with less light, and try feeding. A lot. Phyto and such. Turn off your skimmer for an hour or two.
I tried early on with this tank and my p04 went through the roof. At one point it was around .6 ppm.
The way I see it, if you can get 4-6 months out of it, that's 4-6 months of something really pretty in your tank. :)

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, using TM as suggested by Triton. I have always used Aqua Vitro Salinity in the past. Never liked the others all that much.
Alk is at 8 dkh. Well, it was last night. It's 7.8 tonite. Need to test once or twice more to make sure it's accurate.

Are you still using TM? Or did you switch back to Salinity? Can you compare them? The reason I ask is that I also have been using Salinity with good results in my nano cubes. My LFS seems to be waffling on carrying it much longer. Ive been considering HW. I will travel to get Salinity if needed. Just thought I'd get your opinion.

Second, any preliminary thoughts on the G4 Pros yet? I'm leaning heavily on them because I think I'll get the full tank coverage I need for a 60x32. Alternatively, I'm thinking 60" Giesemann hybrid.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still using TM? Or did you switch back to Salinity? Can you compare them? The reason I ask is that I also have been using Salinity with good results in my nano cubes. My LFS seems to be waffling on carrying it much longer. Ive been considering HW. I will travel to get Salinity if needed. Just thought I'd get your opinion.

Second, any preliminary thoughts on the G4 Pros yet? I'm leaning heavily on them because I think I'll get the full tank coverage I need for a 60x32. Alternatively, I'm thinking 60" Giesemann hybrid.
Technically the tank is still mostly TM, but I don't do water changes per the Triton Method.
I use Salinity for my nano though, so if I ever need to add a little water to this tank it now gets salinity.
I've got comments on the G4's further back. The spread is definitely better, as well as the color. Major improvement from the G3 Pros.
You'd want 4 for that tank.

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Salinity for my nano though, so if I ever need to add a little water to this tank it now gets salinity.

So you prefer Salinity over the TM? Have you used HW?

You'd want 4 for that tank..
Yikes, this makes me cringe. I can do a Giesemann 60" hybrid for just slightly more than half of the cost of 4 XR30 Pros but I don't know if I can reach the full 32" width of the tank. I was willing to bite the bullet on 3 if that fits. If I superimpose this 36x36 image over a 60x32 tank, the PAR appears even for two of them... This is why I was thinking i could easily do 3. But you think 4 is required? Are the actual PAR readings accurately reflected in this graphic from EcoTech?
upload_2016-12-1_15-27-55.png

I might have to consider something else entirely. By the way, thanks for your considerations.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want avoid shadowing with SPS. So tighter together and mounted high.
My tank is 47" across and 31" front to back and I have three units. Lights are 17" off the water.
You can start with 3 but I think you are going to want another down the road if you are mounting them front to back like mine to cover that deeper dimension.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a teaser of several things I picked up this past week...

The pics below are Plum Crazy and Insidious acros.

Also picked up RR Lady in Pink
JF Shock Tart
Ultimate Blue Stag
BC Esquisita
PC Rainbow
and a two head frag of rainbow Acan. :)

More pics soon. Just mounted some last night but need to mount the others.

15403752_1615424415429260_641854830862892493_o.jpg
15289270_1615424748762560_6395693517870375037_o.jpg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This baby will be a mature reef tank in short order!

PmRg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

So I finished this up.
All clean and got the egg crate in.
All I did was cut one support to run along the right wall and then zip tied the top of the divider to one of the overflow teeth.
Seems to be holding good for now.
I have a bit more space for the chaeto in back than I do for the other macros in front.

i-NZF7cqp.jpg

i-T35hPRv.jpg

Ohhh I will "steal" this refuge dividing idea :) :)

Have you had ciano algae growing in the refuge before? just wondering since I have a small patch showing up on mine.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 87 42.6%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 99 48.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.4%
Back