OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I ordered it! super excited. We will see when it will arrive. What system pump do you recommend? I want super quiet - maybe a Vectra S2 or Varios 4? I think you may have used a Sicce? Did you have any issues with plumbing the system pump? I have seen the return tubing is maybe metric and does not easily fit the standard pump outlets?
Awesome! You’ll hear from Samantha Obergas about shipping and stuff. She actually lives down the street from me.

On her recommendation I went with a Sicce. Got the SDC 6.0. You can run it around 65%-80% power before it starts to be too much flow for the sump. If I remember correctly it didn’t need any additional fittings.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always watching :grinning-squinting-face:
20231228-_DSC0536-Reef.jpg

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pic. What are you using for substrate? I have had bare bottom tanks but thinking of trying some in the 600. Also, have you retrofitted any of the roller mats?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pic. What are you using for substrate? I have had bare bottom tanks but thinking of trying some in the 600. Also, have you retrofitted any of the roller mats?
All my rock and sand is from Tampa Bay Saltwater.
I decided not to do a fleece roller. Instead, I use Reef Diapers.

I change it out every few days. A pack of 30 (currently $33) lasts me around 3 months. And it literally takes about 10 seconds to swap out.

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of the TBS sand and the "base rock"... About 15 lbs worth. :cool:
The "premium" stuff coming in the next shipment.

20221025-DSC_1904-Reef.jpg
20221025-DSC_1905-Reef.jpg

20221025-DSC_1906-Reef.jpg
20221025-DSC_1907-Reef.jpg
20221025-DSC_1908-Reef.jpg
20221025-DSC_1909-Reef.jpg
20221025-DSC_1910-Reef.jpg
20221025-DSC_1901-Reef.jpg

1666743994391.png
Dennis:

My tank arrived this week. In process of the dry set up. How many pounds of the live sand did you get and how deep is your bed? I have not had great experience with sand beds - I have 3 other systems all bare bottom - was a real pain to remove all sand from my 120 years ago but still remember the experience. Despite this, I am willing to try this system with sand. Thanks for your opinion.

Greg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis:

My tank arrived this week. In process of the dry set up. How many pounds of the live sand did you get and how deep is your bed? I have not had great experience with sand beds - I have 3 other systems all bare bottom - was a real pain to remove all sand from my 120 years ago but still remember the experience. Despite this, I am willing to try this system with sand. Thanks for your opinion.

Greg
Congrats!

I believe I got about 50lbs of sand.
Depending on the area of the tank it ranges from around 1"-2".

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bother you again, but want to get things right. Working on getting the system plumbed. Did you use the metal hose clamps on the upper part of the return (the part that is in the RO reservoir)? It looks like the tubing is glued and I am little leery of putting metal in the tank, even though it appears to be stainless steel.

Incredible build quality and so far very happy with this system!

Greg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bother you again, but want to get things right. Working on getting the system plumbed. Did you use the metal hose clamps on the upper part of the return (the part that is in the RO reservoir)? It looks like the tubing is glued and I am little leery of putting metal in the tank, even though it appears to be stainless steel.

Incredible build quality and so far very happy with this system!

Greg
Yep! I do have the metal hose clamp. I think mine actually came with plastic ones with screw mechanism to tighten but i couldn't get them tight enough and they'd break so I used a metal one there. Since it's freshwater and not saltwater, and since it's usually not submerged, i'm not really worried about it. They do now offer titanium ones on their website for purchase but they want both an arm and a leg for them so no thanks. LOL

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a bit of bad news... I've got white bugaboos! :face-with-head-bandage:
I dunno what they are called but that's what I'm calling them.
I ordered Interceptor from CanadaPetCare this morning. Hopefully it doesn't take too long!
But maybe this will explain why my sps never have any PE!

20240127-_DSC0777-Reef.jpg

20240127-_DSC0777-Reef-Crop.jpg

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could take pictured that good but that would also require me to have more equipment and knowledge.

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a bit of bad news... I've got white bugaboos! :face-with-head-bandage:
I dunno what they are called but that's what I'm calling them.
I ordered Interceptor from CanadaPetCare this morning. Hopefully it doesn't take too long!
But maybe this will explain why my sps never have any PE!

20240127-_DSC0777-Reef.jpg

20240127-_DSC0777-Reef-Crop.jpg
OH NO! Sucks to hear this. Have you been able to ID them yet? Hopefully this is just a blip on the radar for you. I've been dealing with some very slow STN on several frags, and all signs point to some kind of pest. Guess I need to get my magnifying glass out...

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH NO! Sucks to hear this. Have you been able to ID them yet? Hopefully this is just a blip on the radar for you. I've been dealing with some very slow STN on several frags, and all signs point to some kind of pest. Guess I need to get my magnifying glass out...
Ya it sucks but all things considered, at least it seems to be one of the easier things to deal with and not hard to get rid of. And now i finally know why I never have any PE on my SPS! Or at least I hope this is why. It's been driving me nuts.

Meds have shipped. Ordered from CanadaPetCare and drop shipped from Singapore. Go figure. :grinning-squinting-face:

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it sucks but all things considered, at least it seems to be one of the easier things to deal with and not hard to get rid of. And now i finally know why I never have any PE on my SPS! Or at least I hope this is why. It's been driving me nuts.

Meds have shipped. Ordered from CanadaPetCare and drop shipped from Singapore. Go figure. :grinning-squinting-face:
Hey Dennis:

Sorry to hear about your white bugs - I have not seen anything like that before. Have you treated the tank yet? wanted to pick your brain about a couple of items as I am finishing my set up.
1. Do you have some picks of the connections and orientation of your return pump? I did get the Sicce Syncra 6.0 and am anxious to set it up and get this tank filled.
2. Are you happy with your skimmer? I have been wading through the options for a small footprint skimmer that will fit.

Hope the rest of your set up is maturing.

Best,

Greg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dennis:

Sorry to hear about your white bugs - I have not seen anything like that before. Have you treated the tank yet? wanted to pick your brain about a couple of items as I am finishing my set up.
1. Do you have some picks of the connections and orientation of your return pump? I did get the Sicce Syncra 6.0 and am anxious to set it up and get this tank filled.
2. Are you happy with your skimmer? I have been wading through the options for a small footprint skimmer that will fit.

Hope the rest of your set up is maturing.

Best,

Greg
Hey Greg, I haven't treated yet.
The meds are in transit from overseas, trying to be patient. lol

1. I can't really get a pic of the pump but its nothing weird. It just sits there with the output side right next to the glass that separates the return section from the filter sock section. Tubing goes straight up into the manifold.

2. The Bubble Magus skimmer I started with was ok, nothing great. But the UltraReef i have now is AWESOME. Plenty of room for it. I have a carbon reactor in the skimmer section too.

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Greg, I haven't treated yet.
The meds are in transit from overseas, trying to be patient. lol

1. I can't really get a pic of the pump but its nothing weird. It just sits there with the output side right next to the glass that separates the return section from the filter sock section. Tubing goes straight up into the manifold.

2. The Bubble Magus skimmer I started with was ok, nothing great. But the UltraReef i have now is AWESOME. Plenty of room for it. I have a carbon reactor in the skimmer section too.
Ultra Reef Borie UKB-120?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back