Deep Blue out of business, any alternatives that might be little better than Aqueon and Marineland

GoGo98102

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Customaquariums.com used to have free shipping on any tank order over $2000. I don't think it's the case anymore. I frequent their site to check on prices. Without shipping cost, their prices are hard to beat. Too bad nowadays their shipping costs negate any savings you might have over local shops.

I personally bought from SC Aquarium as my first tank years ago. Their prices are probably the lowest I have seen. Their sales person Steve I talked to, gave me a great deal on a 150g Euro braced tank with stand, hood, sump, pump, all for $1,600 shipped.

T Carey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planet Aquariums. The make custom tanks. Don't know about lead times.

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Planet Aquariums 220 reeftank. When I upgrade to a 400-450gal this is who I will be using again.. Fair price and beautiful quality.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never, ever, EVER do business with coast to coast again. Crappy workmanship on the bracing including chipped glass that they blamed UPS freight for; several demonstrably bullsh$t lines of crap they gave me; and pat pawlowski (owner?) telling me he would make it his “life’s mission to go after anyone that badmouths the company on the boards.” Bracing was so bad I had to cut it off and rebrace whole top myself. I ended up spending at least 2k in glass and supplies and over 2.5 years getting something that looked decent enough to want it as my display.

Just got a quote yesterday. :(

Bill Howard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend Crystal Reef Aquatics. They built me a 150 (60x24x24) that is absolutely outstanding. Beautiful craftsmanship and very reasonably priced.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep Blue was a private label for royal pet who was bought out by Phillip's pet food a few years ago. Phillips dropped the Deep Blue line.

The same company that made Deep Blue makes Seapora they are similarly prices and offer the same tanks including the rimless and frag tank options.

I am also a big fan of customaquariums.com for larger or odd sizes.

Ive heard around that Deep Blue was purchased(?) (rebranded?) as Aquarium Masters. A quick look at their site ( http://www.aquariumindustrial.com/reef-ready-aquariums/ ) shows this may be true. Finding a distributor is another story...

Seapora are made in the same factory.
LFS told me Deep Blue is now Seapora. Same tanks one label

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm super happy with my tank from CustomAquariums.com. They were cheaper than the other quotes I got with the exception of glass cages. But they warranty their tanks for much longer so I felt i could trust them.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend Crystal Reef Aquatics. They built me a 150 (60x24x24) that is absolutely outstanding. Beautiful craftsmanship and very reasonably priced.

...If they send you a quote. I submitted for quote. Politely asked how long the quote process takes in their forum. The owner called me. So figure I will wait till the end of the week then roll with what I got. To be honest I believe my project is turning some builders off as it is only 135gals 60x25x21.

BryanJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass cages.com is where I bought my last two tanks and I have been happy with both so far. I’ve had both for at least 3 years with no issues

Sassifrass7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know guys, I have googled it, and I don't see any where any mention of Deep Blue going out of business. I asked them directly.
Seemed like the most intelligent thing to do. Let's see what they say first before panicking. I have always wanted their 80 gallon Frag Tank.
I'll be back.

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euro braced.
Did they use Starphire or regular float glass for the bracing? (I had originally requested Starphire and was talked out of it because, given the width, I allegedly wouldn't be able to see the difference; NOT!) Was the bracing chipped? was it flat polished or were the edges wavy/distorted? was it two panels of glass laminated together to form the bracing? if so, were there large fissures throughout the silicone used to bond the panels together, that looked like lightning bolts snaking throughout?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LFS told me Deep Blue is now Seapora. Same tanks one label

Seapora has been around for a while...
Seapora aquariums look allot like Deep Blue and I bet they were made by the same place.

If this is true which I have not heard before that leaves little off the shelf options for frag tanks. Seapora and Zoomed low boys which are much harder to find than Deep Blue.

Last edited:

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they use Starphire or regular float glass for the bracing? (I had originally requested Starphire and was talked out of it because, given the width, I allegedly wouldn't be able to see the difference; NOT!) Was the bracing chipped? was it flat polished or were the edges wavy/distorted? was it two panels of glass laminated together to form the bracing? if so, were there large fissures throughout the silicone used to bond the panels together, that looked like lightning bolts snaking throughout?

No, thankfully my tank was perfect. Personally I wouldn’t have bothered doing low iron glass on the bracing since it’s not viewing area, but especially in my case since my tank is in the garage. The bracing is all solid 1/2 inch glass. The tanks are built to spec, so I would recommend specifying exactly what you want.

I would definitely use C2C again. There are plenty of mfrs out there, you should use whoever you feel the most comfortable with.

Dave

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know guys, I have googled it, and I don't see any where any mention of Deep Blue going out of business. I asked them directly.
Seemed like the most intelligent thing to do. Let's see what they say first before panicking. I have always wanted their 80 gallon Frag Tank.
I'll be back.

I contacted them as well 5 days ago and asked if they were discontinued

No response

Fishboy42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the public letter Deep Blue / Phillips Pet shared:

Deep Blue External Communication.png

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back