Deep Blue out of business, any alternatives that might be little better than Aqueon and Marineland

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without spending big bucks on Reef Savvy or Miracles?

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they went out of business? bummer, love their frag tanks and prices. i guess low prices only last so long

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a shame; though take what the LFS tells you with a large grain of salt.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some options
-cadlights slightly cheaper than red sea, do not have as high of ratings, they are very pretty in person though. Never owned one only saw someone elses.
-used
-glasscages.com

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concept Aquariums in Calgary is a custom builder who quoted almost half the cost of Miracles for my new build( and Miracles was half the price of Reef Savvy). Lots of options out there that are a little more budget friendly.

FWIW I ended up going with Miracles, no tank yet but I'm certain I'll be happy with it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If true, a shame. Nobody was building affordable frag tanks as well as they were. It's a tough business to be in these days - everybody expects cheap; few seem to want to pay for a quality product.

Desert Sea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention Deep Blue, Aqueon and Marineland so I'm assuming your looking into glass tanks. Depending on what size your looking for, look into SC Aquariums. They have stock sizes ready to ship and also do customs if your willing to wait. Had them build me a custom 150 and I'm very pleased with the quality and the price.

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not recommend SCA after my tank developed a leak. I also felt the tank looked good, but 4 years later I guess the quality issues started to show.

My new aquarium is going to be from planet aquariums.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was so bummed my lfs also told me deep blue was out of business as they are the only decent rimless around here lfs carry. I am hoping another company buys them

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS sold me a 135g Seapora that I’m very happy with. Good clean black silicone work, glass braces on top, nicely drilled. I’m very pleased and the price was comparable to the brands you mentioned though I believe the quality to be significantly better.

Only problem is, I think I recall seeing a thread where someone mentioned they were made by deep blue. Don’t quote me on that. Maybe this was part of their plan to make nicer stuff, get it selling well and then drop the old product line??

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom Aquariums. Don't have one but would consider if I go custom in the future. They have a few videos on YouTube showing build process and a nice website. Custom and standard sizes available. Prices seem pretty reasonable on standard size tanks.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank business must be booming because I solicited bids from 4 companies and only one has responded with numbers. If they will not respond to take my money, what will they be like if something happens?

So I am following along to see of I am missing anyone. If you want to talk to someone for something custom and will reply usually within 24hours to questions talk to Zoya at Crystal Dynamics Aquarium so far been great.

Tankmeusa is 15days to just quote FYI but at least the let you know off the bat which is nice.

I am waiting on a quote from Crystal Reef Aquatics, and Coast to Coast (to be fair. I did just contact C2C on Friday).

Good Luck

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back