OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a huge fan of "sub compacts" for tank work. That may be a great choice for an around the house camera, easy to take with you on vacation etc. That particular model is not well suited for any ONE particular thing, rather a jack of all trades type.

That being said, finding a capable point and shoot for tank work is not easy. Admittedly I am out of the loop on current models, however the Canon G series performed wonderfully, as did a few of the higher end Nikon's.

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a huge fan of "sub compacts" for tank work. That may be a great choice for an around the house camera, easy to take with you on vacation etc. That particular model is not well suited for any ONE particular thing, rather a jack of all trades type.

That being said, finding a capable point and shoot for tank work is not easy. Admittedly I am out of the loop on current models, however the Canon G series performed wonderfully, as did a few of the higher end Nikon's.
Thanks posidon

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the rebel av is the way to go in my opinion. Aperture above 8.0, I use high ISO but that can mean grainy pictures in raw format. At least that's my understanding...
thats correct. You can lower shutter and lower Iso if you want to keep f stop

granocompany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depth of FIELD (or Focus)!!!!

Most simply stated depth of field is term used to describe how much or how little of your picture is in focus. There are several factors that determine the depth of field, but none is more profound then the aperture used to capture the image. A large aperture will result in LESS depth of field then a small one will. There are other factors as well, focal length, and the distance from the camera to the subject, but neither of these are as dramatic as aperture. Aperture along with ISO directly impact the shutter speed as well, so you can't change one without changing at least one of the other 2, but for this demonstration, I will only talk about the aperture.

So what is the difference between getting an image like this:
339219936_WZAG9-L-1.jpg

And this:
339219707_T8vra-L-1.jpg

APERTURE!!!!

Those of you that keep your SLR camera on the GREEN SQUARE, or the "P" mode are really losing out. If you use the camera "program mode" you are allowing the camera to decide what results you are going to get, you are giving control to the camera rather then keeping control for yourself. Aperture is the single most dramatic control we have over the finished result of our images, once you learn to control the aperture, you can decide what the finished image will look like. In some cases you may want to have as much of the picture in focus as possible, in other cases you will want to isolate the subject from the background by using the largest aperture you can.

Okay... enough typing! Here is a progression of images from the largest aperture to the smallest, meaning the least in focus to the most in focus.

339219936_WZAG9-L-1.jpg

339220144_Z6kUm-L-1.jpg

339220407_6swDe-L-1.jpg

339218611_hqMx4-L-1.jpg

339218865_iCVD4-L-1.jpg

339219123_DeRgU-L-1.jpg

339219421_W2HeT-L-1.jpg

339219707_T8vra-L-1.jpg

The scale from 2.8 to 32 are the "standard" f stops available on most cameras. Each stop allows in TWICE as much light as the next one, so from 2.8 to 4 is half the size. This is where the relationship between aperture and shutter speed is most evident, but that is topic for yet another thread!

As always, I hope you find the information presented here useful, and if you have any questions, please post them here!

-Mike
Hi Mike. I am going to buy camera for aquarium photography. Is the Canon 6d with 100mm macro or 50mm macro better option to me. I like your pictures. Very nice! Thanks.
Mike

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trying to figure this one out. I've been shooting in "M" mode on my Canon 5ti, but now I'm seeing lots of people use Av. Should I use that instead? Just got a new Tamron 90mm, and I've been playing with it for about 20 minutes...so far I'm getting my tail kicked in by this lens...not figuring it out very well. :cool::confused:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure this one out. I've been shooting in "M" mode on my Canon 5ti, but now I'm seeing lots of people use Av. Should I use that instead? Just got a new Tamron 90mm, and I've been playing with it for about 20 minutes...so far I'm getting my tail kicked in by this lens...not figuring it out very well. :cool::confused:
If you using Manual, set the iso high(1000?) Then choose a shutter speed(1/100?) Set for 2.8. If the exposure is too bright increase shutter, OR Fstop OR iso.

Av is Aperture priority. Set the aperture and the shutter speed will be chosen for you. I generally choose Aperture priority or manual.(fast)

The benefit of manual is you can increase the DOF for effect OR the shutter speed for effect(fish and fast things)

On Iso Id pic the on just below where it gets grainy. Go to manual, leave the lens cap on and increase iso in one stop increments and look at it on the computer.

Fun stuff bro! Can't wait for the pics!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you using Manual, set the iso high(1000?) Then choose a shutter speed(1/100?) Set for 2.8. If the exposure is too bright increase shutter, OR Fstop OR iso.

Av is Aperture priority. Set the aperture and the shutter speed will be chosen for you. I generally choose Aperture priority or manual.(fast)

The benefit of manual is you can increase the DOF for effect OR the shutter speed for effect(fish and fast things)

On Iso Id pic the on just below where it gets grainy. Go to manual, leave the lens cap on and increase iso in one stop increments and look at it on the computer.

Fun stuff bro! Can't wait for the pics!
Thanks! I'm gonna try the steps you've given here. Hopefully, I can figure it out!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm gonna try the steps you've given here. Hopefully, I can figure it out!
No sweat. Its an easy one to practice while your sitting around before you get to the tank.

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question does this photo look out of focus or is it because of the settings i had here are the basic photo info. it was taken awhile ago and dont remember how it looked in the view finder. but ive been having a issue beyond the settings on my camera and lens d40x 105mm micro Nikon lens
Aperture f/6.3
Exposure Time 10/1250
iso 200
f number 63/10

acorn  - Copy.jpg

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question does this photo look out of focus or is it because of the settings i had here are the basic photo info. it was taken awhile ago and dont remember how it looked in the view finder. but ive been having a issue beyond the settings on my camera and lens d40x 105mm micro Nikon lens
Aperture f/6.3
Exposure Time 10/1250
iso 200
f number 63/10

acorn  - Copy.jpg

it’s in focus but only a certain part is. looks like the pine cone or bark, or whatever that is.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a little more explanation.....

when you open an aperature (1.8, 2.8, etc) you are letting more light into the lens. this is what throws off your exposure and why you would need to also adjust your iso and/or shutter speed. i recommend everyone shoots in manual so they have full control over their settings. you can easily detect what your limitations are for your environment. and just the opposite, when you close the aperature (ex 11) you are letting less light into the lens.

the quality of blur produced by having a shallow depth of field is what we refer to as “bokeh”. not all cameras/lenses produce the same quality of bokeh. usually not a concern if you’re shooting your fish tank, but’s important for portrait or wedding photography.

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a little more explanation.....

when you open an aperature (1.8, 2.8, etc) you are letting more light into the lens. this is what throws off your exposure and why you would need to also adjust your iso and/or shutter speed. i recommend everyone shoots in manual so they have full control over their settings. you can easily detect what your limitations are for your environment. and just the opposite, when you close the aperature (ex 11) you are letting less light into the lens.

the quality of blur produced by having a shallow depth of field is what we refer to as “bokeh”. not all cameras/lenses produce the same quality of bokeh. usually not a concern if you’re shooting your fish tank, but’s important for portrait or wedding photography.

I love shallow depth of field when the point of focus is correct...but 22 or 32 gives such sharpness you can shoot a bit more lazy.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back