DESKMATE Q&A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you just have too much water in the tank? I just unplugged my tank, and when i do that, the water level drops down maybe 1/4-1/2" from the bottom of the "Deskmate" text, and then when it gets plugged back in it goes right up to the bottom of that text.

These two pictures are my water level when the tank is UNPLUGGED.

IMG_2907.JPG
IMG_2908.JPG

OP
OP
ESHOPPS.INC

ESHOPPS.INC

ESHOPPS REP
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I need help as soon as possible. I now am having issues with using basic filter floss in my overflow using the Kraken cup insert. Tank almost overflowed just now as I heard it pouring over the back baffle. Had to pull out the filter floss and now the level is back to normal. So far I can't use the filter sock that came with it or filter floss... meaning no way to filter out organic material!!! This is crazy.
That is pretty odd. As we have never had this issue before. I would love to send you some filter socks to use but we are currently out.

What return pump are you using. The pump that came with it should not cause this issue as it was tested to work even with max flow with no problem.

Take note, the filter cup used is not from us so we couldn't tell you if that filter cup is high flow and tested for use with the pump and the Deskmate from us. We will be releasing a new BIO CUP NANO that we tested for high flow. Meaning it will be able to support the flow coming from the return pump.

For the filter cup I would suggest not putting too much or too thick filter floss, make it as loose as possible so water can flow through without problems and still catch detritus.

The Back chambers of the Deskmate is designed not to overflow out of the tank and have water just overflow to the next chamber. So that should be one less thing to worry about.

Once we get the Nano Filter socks in we can send you some. Just email me sometime next month that's when we will get them. Here is my email [email protected]

Hope this helps. Thank you!!!

Willpre28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you just have too much water in the tank? I just unplugged my tank, and when i do that, the water level drops down maybe 1/4-1/2" from the bottom of the "Deskmate" text, and then when it gets plugged back in it goes right up to the bottom of that text.

These two pictures are my water level when the tank is UNPLUGGED.

IMG_2907.JPG
IMG_2908.JPG
I wish that were the case.... No matter the level in the return chamber or in the tank itself. Over time the filter sock that came with the tank setup stopped allowing water to pass through it. The sock was only in for two days and the tank was overflowing over the back baffle into the second chamber. I don't think I need to clean out and let the sock dry every two days.

Willpre28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty odd. As we have never had this issue before. I would love to send you some filter socks to use but we are currently out.

What return pump are you using. The pump that came with it should not cause this issue as it was tested to work even with max flow with no problem.

Take note, the filter cup used is not from us so we couldn't tell you if that filter cup is high flow and tested for use with the pump and the Deskmate from us. We will be releasing a new BIO CUP NANO that we tested for high flow. Meaning it will be able to support the flow coming from the return pump.

For the filter cup I would suggest not putting too much or too thick filter floss, make it as loose as possible so water can flow through without problems and still catch detritus.

The Back chambers of the Deskmate is designed not to overflow out of the tank and have water just overflow to the next chamber. So that should be one less thing to worry about.

Once we get the Nano Filter socks in we can send you some. Just email me sometime next month that's when we will get them. Here is my email [email protected]

Hope this helps. Thank you!!!
I am using the return pump that came with the tank within the bundle I ordered. The filter sock I disposed of as I order the overflow cup from Kraken Reef as it matches the tank perfectly. When I have no filter floss in the cup no issues with flow at all. But if I put the standard blue and white poly floss into the cup after about maybe 12 hours the level within the overflow chamber begins to rise. Which means everyday I need to change out the Poly Floss which doesn't seem realistic. I would love to test out the Nano Socks when they become available. Also I am up to help with any trouleshooting needed with this specific setup. Let me know as well. Email: [email protected]

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of water level, what should the water level be for both the 3.8g display tank and for the 1g chamber, respectively? I think that I placed too much water in the chamber, as the Prism ATO and tube would be fairly submerged if at the very top. I have the same tank and just set it up about an hour ago. Looking forward to it, but maybe it needs to evaporate a bit.

OP
OP
ESHOPPS.INC

ESHOPPS.INC

ESHOPPS REP
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the return pump that came with the tank within the bundle I ordered. The filter sock I disposed of as I order the overflow cup from Kraken Reef as it matches the tank perfectly. When I have no filter floss in the cup no issues with flow at all. But if I put the standard blue and white poly floss into the cup after about maybe 12 hours the level within the overflow chamber begins to rise. Which means everyday I need to change out the Poly Floss which doesn't seem realistic. I would love to test out the Nano Socks when they become available. Also I am up to help with any trouleshooting needed with this specific setup. Let me know as well. Email: [email protected]
With the Bio Cup Nano (soon to be released) our testing shows as long as you don't put too much filter floss (not pads) in it, water flow should be good. As you know when filtration becomes too compressed together it becomes tighter and will definitely get clogged faster. Same with filter pads and filter socks that are 250 microns and below. They will get clogged fast. Even as of now, we are still using the beta sample we designed, and we have never had any issues with it clogging. And I feed heavy. Try using filter floss in very small amounts. It will work better than pads.

OP
OP
ESHOPPS.INC

ESHOPPS.INC

ESHOPPS REP
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of water level, what should the water level be for both the 3.8g display tank and for the 1g chamber, respectively? I think that I placed too much water in the chamber, as the Prism ATO and tube would be fairly submerged if at the very top. I have the same tank and just set it up about an hour ago. Looking forward to it, but maybe it needs to evaporate a bit.
2 inches above the return pump should suffice. I have my ATO sensor and tubing on my return chamber too. works great.

OP
OP
ESHOPPS.INC

ESHOPPS.INC

ESHOPPS REP
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to test out the Nano Socks when they become available. Also I am up to help with any trouleshooting needed with this specific setup. Let me know as well. Email: [email protected]
The Nano Filter Socks are available to purchase. We just do not have them in stock. Message me late march we should have them by then.

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other question. What speed setting should the Circa 100 pump be set to for this tank size? I did wind up getting a Sicce Syncra Nano, but I think they are a similar gph rate. Side note: the Circa 100 pump tripped my GFCI, so there does appear to be a short for this device, which is odd. I'll inspect it later though.

OP
OP
ESHOPPS.INC

ESHOPPS.INC

ESHOPPS REP
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other question. What speed setting should the Circa 100 pump be set to for this tank size? I did wind up getting a Sicce Syncra Nano, but I think they are a similar gph rate. Side note: the Circa 100 pump tripped my GFCI, so there does appear to be a short for this device, which is odd. I'll inspect it later though.
Hi! Wow... sorry that happened to you. That is a first. Contact [email protected] so you can get a replacement pump. Regarding your question, i have mine setup to max. But I'm using dual RFG nozzles.

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Wow... sorry that happened to you. That is a first. Contact [email protected] so you can get a replacement pump. Regarding your question, i have mine setup to max. But I'm using dual RFG nozzles.
No worries, and appreciate it. I'll shoot them an email. Do you think that with the default, bundle setup that it would be fair to leave it at max? My intent in a little bit would be to get some softies and LPS.

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, and appreciate it. I'll shoot them an email. Do you think that with the default, bundle setup that it would be fair to leave it at max? My intent in a little bit would be to get some softies and LPS.
They shipped me a replacement after testing it for a couple of days. Thanks for the advice! I'll keep this as my backup.

Jhoekstra84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @ESHOPPS.INC - I just received and setup my deskmate. I am super excited about this tank for my office. However, I am running into some issues. The water level in the back of the tank drops to about 2 inches above the pump as soon as the pump is turned on. Also, the pump is LOUD - it wasn't at first, but after I returned from a meeting I heard a constant rattling that only goes away when the pump is turned off. I have taken the pump out several times and made adjustments, but cannot get the rattle to disappear.
deskmate.jpg

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @ESHOPPS.INC - I just received and setup my deskmate. I am super excited about this tank for my office. However, I am running into some issues. The water level in the back of the tank drops to about 2 inches above the pump as soon as the pump is turned on. Also, the pump is LOUD - it wasn't at first, but after I returned from a meeting I heard a constant rattling that only goes away when the pump is turned off. I have taken the pump out several times and made adjustments, but cannot get the rattle to disappear.
deskmate.jpg
Congratulations on the new tank....You're gonna love it! I've had mine up and running since the beginning of February, and am just about to start putting corals in it!

I see currently you do not have a lid on the tank, if you want to avoid a lot of evaporation I would definitely look into that (with my glass lid I only lose about 1/8 cup of water daily).

As for the water level, you need to make sure the level is high enough when the tank is off. When all my pumps are off, the water level in the tank is 3/4" from the top. When I turn the pumps back on, the water level in the pump chamber drops to 2 1/4" from the top (this is normal in any tank that has a dedicated pump chamber).

As for the noice level of the pump, you are correct, there is a little rattle to it that does NOT go away. When I plugged in my tank for the first time it was also silent, but the next day when I got back into the office it has a rattle that just won't go away. The fix to this is getting an after market pump like the Sicce Micraplus (it's on my short "want" list for a silent tank.

Good luck with the new tank!

Willpre28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nano Filter Socks are available to purchase. We just do not have them in stock. Message me late march we should have them by then.
Hey its a little after late March and curious if you have those nano socks for the Deskmate available. One thing I hate about the tank so far which is a strong word but has me constantly thinking about is the fact that there is no baffle going down within the return area. Since I don't have a sock I use the collection cup I ordered with filter floss. The reason is that there isn't any flow in the back chamber unless I order a pump to circulate the water that way. Honestly the way Nuvo has the baffles and pretty much any other AIO tank works wonderfully as it churns the water from the bottom back up. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Willpre28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way here is the tank so far. It's doing great!

Attachments

• IMG_168150201068F.jpg
    IMG_168150201068F.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230414_155638.jpg
    20230414_155638.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 94

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ESHOPPS.INC

Little bit concerned with my return pump as it’s gotten considerably weaker over the past couple of days and subsequently the water level has been dropping in the display and my salinity has swung like crazy with my ATO. I ordered a Sicce micra plus to replace this last night with a little bit more power and will arrive Wednesday but after checking the existing pump this morning, it’s clearly about to die completely today. I ordered an emergency Sicce Micra 90gph from Petco same day delivery so I can install as soon as I am home from work later as it was the only option between now and wednesday.

This tank has only been set up barely a month! Photo with the light on is from weeks ago, and the photo without the light on is from this morning showing the drastic change in water level and movement.

Hoping it doesn’t completely clunk out while I’m at work.

Attachments

• IMG_6067.jpeg
    IMG_6067.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_6068.jpeg
    IMG_6068.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 70

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 81 77.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back