Detritus!!!!

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I am having a nutrient export issue....My nitrates read 5 and my phosphates read 0 but I know they have to be high!! Every time before a water change I use a turkey baster for my rocks and I have SO much detritus come off every single time I do it....I have a lot of flow already (mp40 and 2 Jebeao RW 15s)....I guess my question is how do I get my detritus and nutrient export back under control? My tank is a 180 mixed reef and I have been doing 15 gallon water changes every week, clearly still not working enough. Is bigger or more frequent water changes the only option pretty much for me?

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya man bigger water changes. I have a 180 and do 35-40 g's at least once a month when im lazy but usually twice. You might want to think about more circulation too. I have 2 Jaebo 40's and 2 jaebo 25's plus the flow from my 2 1270GPH return pumps.

OP
OP
Gwitness

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I will step up my water changes then! I'm thinking 20 gallons TWICE a week until I get them under control and then I will do 20 gallons per week once I get everything under control....How many fish do you have? I have 21 and I know that's the reason for my issue and I just let the detritus get ahead of me and my water changes

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 13 but removed a few due to their bad behavior LOL. In the past I have had near 30 without issues. I say increase the circulation so that the waste wont settle and keep up with the WC's. Do you have any other ways to remove the nutrients such as a fuge,pellets or carbon dosing going on? If not you may want to start one up to help you out.

OP
OP
Gwitness

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay well that's good to know that you have had up to 30 before! I do not do anything extra, I just wanted to keep it as simple as possible I guess.... I wanted to do a fuge but my sump area is just too small for it to even make an impact.... I have debated bio pellets but I don't know much about them yet.. Someone also told me to run bio pellets I need a fuge?! I don't even know if that's true

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back