Different readings from different brands of Calcium test kits

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my water with a Red Sea Pro Calcium test kit, I got a reading of 450, which seems very high. I keep my calcium level, through BRS 2-Part at 430.

I previously used Aquaforest test kits, but I was running low on reagent, which is why I bought the Red Sea Pro kit.

I tested the water with my Aquaforest test kit, and got a reading of 390.

I tested again with the Red Sea and again got a readiing of 450.

Tested again with Aquaforest, and got a reading of 390.

So, which should I go with? I got the Red Sea test because I had read they are supposed to be more accurate. But a difference of 60 between the different brands seems like a pretty wide margin.

Any suggestions?

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either go for salifert or RedSea. Their test kits work the best and have the most positive feedback. There are some test kits which are “more accurate” than others, but I wouldn’t start mixing salifert and RedSea. Pick one and stick to it.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like Aquaforest and found their Ca and Alk in sync with Salifert tests.( Mg is a bit iffy though)
Aquaforest test kits include standard solution, so you could test it with both Red Sea and Aquaforest and find your answer.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like Aquaforest and found their Ca and Alk in sync with Salifert tests.( Mg is a bit iffy though)
Aquaforest test kits include standard solution, so you could test it with both Red Sea and Aquaforest and find your answer.
Thats a good idea. I'm going to try their standard solution in a little bit and report back.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest it really doesn't matter. Calcium is fine as long as it's within a range That's acceptable and both of those are fine numbers. If it were me I would probably raise the calcium a little bit just so that if the aquaforest is more accurate, it's less close to the borderline

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, 450 ppm calcium is not "very high".

I recommend calcium to be 400-550 ppm. :)

The exact value is not very important since it is not a limiting factor for coral calcification the way alkalintiy is.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The exact value is not very important since it is not a limiting factor for coral calcification the way alkalintiy is.
So I'd be ok just going with the Aquaforest reading of 390, and adding the appropriate amount of calcium 2 part to bring it up to 430?

BTW, my Alk was 8.5 using a Hannah checker. I brought it up to 9.0 using the alk 2 part.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'd be ok just going with the Aquaforest reading of 390, and adding the appropriate amount of calcium 2 part to bring it up to 430?

BTW, my Alk was 8.5 using a Hannah checker. I brought it up to 9.0 using the alk 2 part.

That seems like a fine plan since any of the test results will still be OK with a 40 ppm boost, IMO.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a fine plan since any of the test results will still be OK with a 40 ppm boost, IMO.
Going back to your earlier reply, you think keeping the Calcium above 400 will be beneficial, as opposed to chasing numbers keeping the calcium at exactly a certain number (430 in my case)?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going back to your earlier reply, you think keeping the Calcium above 400 will be beneficial, as opposed to chasing numbers keeping the calcium at exactly a certain number (430 in my case)?

I do not think anyone can notice a difference in coral health between 390 and 430 ppm calcium, but it's a fine thing to do, and eventually if it got low enough and alk high enough (if it did), calcium might limit calcification.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is my recipe #1 (BRS sells this as their soda ash two part recipe), then that is correct.

Here's a better calculator (e.g., has more products):

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I test my Calcium with a salifert test - 450.
I take water to LFS and they use Red Sea - 390
The ATI ICP results show 368

If I want to add a second test kit besides the Salifert, which do you recommend?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back