DIY Phosphate Dosing

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

I would say that 2 g/L is likely perfectly close enough since tank water volume is imprecise, a potentially large and unknown fraction will bind to rock and sand, and dosing is typically by trial and error. :)
So if Randy's recommended dose should increase phosphate PPM in tank by >
1ml = +1ppm in 1 Liter.

And NeoPhos says
1ml = +.25ppm in 1 Gallon.

3 years of calculus and I feel retarded trying to figure this out, but Is DIY 15.15x more concentrated when you make 1L as NeoPhos? Or is it similar concentration? Basically is it ~4x4 = 16x, or 1/4 x 4 = 1. I am getting both when I do math differently lol.

I am thinking it's similar to NeoPhos dosing, but can someone confirm before I mini nuke my tank lol.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if Randy's recommended dose should increase phosphate PPM in tank by >
1ml = +1ppm in 1 Liter.

And NeoPhos says
1ml = +.25ppm in 1 Gallon.

3 years of calculus and I feel retarded trying to figure this out, but Is DIY 15.15x more concentrated when you make 1L as NeoPhos? Or is it similar concentration? Basically is it ~4x4 = 16x, or 1/4 x 4 = 1. I am getting both when I do math differently lol.

I am thinking it's similar to NeoPhos dosing, but can someone confirm before I mini nuke my tank lol.

Solution A. 1ml = +1ppm in 1 Liter.

Solution B. 1ml = +.25ppm in 1 Gallon.

Those two solutions are nearly the same in potency.

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw it's kind of crazy that if my math is correct, one 4oz bottle (113 grams it says) is enough for ~56 liters of basically same concentration as NeoPhos, and it costs like $8 instead of NeoPhos being $35 for 2 liters lol? It's like 100x cheaper.

NeoPhos $18/L
DIY $0.18/L lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw it's kind of crazy that if my math is correct, one 4oz bottle (113 grams it says) is enough for ~56 liters of basically same concentration as NeoPhos, and it costs like $8 instead of NeoPhos being $35 for 2 liters lol? It's like 100x cheaper.

NeoPhos $18/L
DIY $0.18/L lol

Which, along with no purity information, is why I do not recommend Neonitro (or Neophos).

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate is 58% (57.93 % ) of trisodium phosphate. 1.88 is the grams of TP you will need to achieve about 1090 mg/l PO4 in the solution (1.88x0.58=1.09)
So you need to dissolve 1.88 g of trisodium phosphate to form 1 liter solution with 1090mg/L PO4 in it.
Actually I doubt Randy would give this 1.88 grams because it is not very accurate if you want 1000 mg/l PO4 solution :)
If the TSP is pure and anhydrous it will be 1.726 grams TSP to 1 liter water to form 1000 mg/L solution
(1,726x0.5793= 999 mg/L)

But because food grade TSP is probably partially hydrated I would say there is no big deal to use 1.88 grams per liter
I saw this post a fews days ago. I ordered the trisodium phosphate from loud wolf. Got it today it’s in one big clump. It is suppose to be like that?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I dose the sodium triphosphate I drip it into a high flow but always get white precipitate. Is this bad?

It could be several things, but I think magnesium hydroxide is a likely one, just like a high pH two part.

Does it seem to redissolve?

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I dose the sodium triphosphate I drip it into a high flow but always get white precipitate. Is this bad?
I don't get any precipitate when I dose Trisodium Phosphate. I mix it at rate of 2g/L RODI.

I do get a very slight milkyness when I dose it, very faint though, and no precipitate, it's gone in seconds.

pav306

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm trying to find a supplier for this in the UK, my usual company has it but as a slightly different name/compound:

https://apcpure.com/product/tri-sodium-phosphate-dodecahydrate/

Na3PO4.12H2O - tri-sodium phosphate dodecahydrate.

Is this the same as the Trisodium Phosphate linked withing this thread, does the Dodecahydrate have any effect of the provided calculations?

TIA

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm trying to find a supplier for this in the UK, my usual company has it but as a slightly different name/compound:

Is this the same as the Trisodium Phosphate linked withing this thread, does the Dodecahydrate have any effect of the provided calculations?

TIA
Just use this one:

Mono Sodium Phosphate Anhydrous Food Grade from APCPure.com

Regards,

B.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TIA

It just adds some water into it, and so it less potent. You'd need to use 2.3 times as much of the product you mention.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to resurrect a (slightly) old thread - I just mixed up a batch of DIY phosphate solution following Randy's formula for the first time (1.88g trisodium phosphate in 1L of RO water) and wanted to confirm what I am pretty sure is stated above -
Is this equivalent concentration to NeoPhos?

I have been dosing 15-20ml a day of NeoPhos to maintain phosphate levels in my 50g reef; will the dose be pretty similar for the DIY solution? Or is there anything different about the actual chemical involved.
My phosphate test kit just ran out yesterday; I don't want to bottom out or overdose while the new one is on the way!

Thanks!

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the calculator from james planted tank. I actually mix mine stronger to dose less. But, it will tell you amounts and effect.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry to resurrect a (slightly) old thread - I just mixed up a batch of DIY phosphate solution following Randy's formula for the first time (1.88g trisodium phosphate in 1L of RO water) and wanted to confirm what I am pretty sure is stated above -
Is this equivalent concentration to NeoPhos?

I have been dosing 15-20ml a day of NeoPhos to maintain phosphate levels in my 50g reef; will the dose be pretty similar for the DIY solution? Or is there anything different about the actual chemical involved.
My phosphate test kit just ran out yesterday; I don't want to bottom out or overdose while the new one is on the way!

Thanks!
It is - or close to it.

pav306

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use this one:

Mono Sodium Phosphate Anhydrous Food Grade from APCPure.com

Regards,

B.
Hi Borat, Randy,

I have decided to go the Mono Sodium phosphate route as you suggested, do I use the same calculator for mono sodium and the tri-sodum?

1.88g of mono sodium phosphate for 1000ml solution.

Would this still equal .01ppm phos per 100ltr tank volume when 1ml is dosed, or do i need to adjust the amount?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back