DIY rock

mook1178

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on making my own rock for my setup. I know to cure it until the pH doesn't change. Then cure it in saltwater as well.

My big question is who has done 90% of their tank in DIY rock and been successful for a long period?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm probably about 75% Aragocrete.
IMG_20231207_174333753.jpg

Here's a few of the pieces I've made.
IMG_20220802_163649010.jpg

IMG_20230413_091900197.jpg
IMG_20230418_185644764.jpg
IMG_20220805_162848594.jpg
IMG_20230413_091835117.jpg
IMG_20230326_154859329.jpg
IMG_20230322_164959015.jpg
IMG_20220807_185154305.jpg
IMG_20230418_190141429.jpg
IMG_20220807_181924441_HDR.jpg

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One thing to consider when curing the rock: new rocks binds phosphates. When you get to the point of saltwater curing, add some phosphates. I didn't with the first couple of rocks I made and saw an immediate phosphate crash and had to dose fairly heavily for a couple of weeks. The next batches of rocks all got saltwater cured with phosphates to get the equilibrium before adding to the tank.

OP
OP
M

mook1178

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to consider when curing the rock: new rocks binds phosphates. When you get to the point of saltwater curing, add some phosphates. I didn't with the first couple of rocks I made and saw an immediate phosphate crash and had to dose fairly heavily for a couple of weeks. The next batches of rocks all got saltwater cured with phosphates to get the equilibrium before adding to the tank.
I'm planning on starting with my own rocks. So hopefully most phosphate leach will be removed with the first few water changes.

How long have you been running your tank? Have you seen any long term issues other than a phosphate spike?

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did DIY rock a long time ago and I forget about it mostly except that I consider it a mistake.

What I do remember is that my rock never looked remotely as great as @tbrown 's... and also, I did have phosphate issues long-term and I worried about the rock being the problem.

I ended up tossing it all and just getting dry rock.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm planning on starting with my own rocks. So hopefully most phosphate leach will be removed with the first few water changes.

How long have you been running your tank? Have you seen any long term issues other than a phosphate spike?
No spike, phosphate dropped to 0 and I lost a couple of Acros. My tank was started with about 60 pounds of dry rock and 80 pounds of live sand, then I've added around 120 pounds of Aragocrete rocks. My tank has been running for a year and a half with nothing negative beyond the initial drop in phosphates.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any rock (and sand) will try to equalize with the phosphate level in the water. If there's lower phosphate in the water and higher phosphate in the rocks, it'll leach phosphates and vice versa. Higher phosphates in the water than the rock and the rock will absorb the phosphates. Most dry rock has 0 phosphates so any phosphate in the water will be absorbed until the rock reaches equilibrium with the water.

@Randy Holmes-Farley can probably explain it better than that.

OP
OP
M

mook1178

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any rock (and sand) will try to equalize with the phosphate level in the water. If there's lower phosphate in the water and higher phosphate in the rocks, it'll leach phosphates and vice versa. Higher phosphates in the water than the rock and the rock will absorb the phosphates. Most dry rock has 0 phosphates so any phosphate in the water will be absorbed until the rock reaches equilibrium with the water.

@Randy Holmes-Farley can probably explain it better than that.
That makes sense. I was wanting to start with mostly rock I made and adding a small amount of live rock to cycle the tank.

So from the aspect of the rock being a source/sink for phosphate, I should be fine with doing water changes those first few weeks. I should just add phsophate testing as part of my cycle testing.

Thanks for your help!

Oh also, wait until my phosphates settle out once I start adding fish before I add corals.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That makes sense. I was wanting to start with mostly rock I made and adding a small amount of live rock to cycle the tank.

So from the aspect of the rock being a source/sink for phosphate, I should be fine with doing water changes those first few weeks. I should just add phsophate testing as part of my cycle testing.

Thanks for your help!

Oh also, wait until my phosphates settle out once I start adding fish before I add corals.
Certain corals rely on phosphates more than others - Acros for example. Low phosphate and high alkalinity can be a death sentence for Acros.

Algae can be another concern. 0 phosphates and high nitrates I believe can Cause either dinos or cyano but I don't remember which?

Also also, make sure you use Portland Cement (or similar) that doesn't use silica sand and don't use playground sand (that's basically silica sand).

OP
OP
M

mook1178

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain corals rely on phosphates more than others - Acros for example. Low phosphate and high alkalinity can be a death sentence for Acros.

Algae can be another concern. 0 phosphates and high nitrates I believe can Cause either dinos or cyano but I don't remember which?

Also also, make sure you use Portland Cement (or similar) that doesn't use silica sand and don't use playground sand (that's basically silica sand).
I knew to use Portland cement, but had not looked into what playground sand was, so thank you! What sand do you recommend?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I knew to use Portland cement, but had not looked into what playground sand was, so thank you! What sand do you recommend?
This is what I went with because it's the cheapest I could find on Amazon. Any Aragonite sand or Oolite sand should work. Crushed coral works as well but tends to be bigger and more expensive.
IMG_20230323_141730395.jpg

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here's a couple of my old threads from these projects.

I didn't do a walkthrough for just plain old Aragocrete rocks but it's the same technique, just without the egg crate. Making it upside down in the sand works better because you can "design" the top better and it'll be a bit more textured.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did DIY rock a long time ago and I forget about it mostly except that I consider it a mistake.

What I do remember is that my rock never looked remotely as great as @tbrown 's... and also, I did have phosphate issues long-term and I worried about the rock being the problem.

I ended up tossing it all and just getting dry rock.
I used Egg Crate to form frames for some of mine. It's helped with structure. Glass/acrylic rods can be used as well.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on making my own rock for my setup. I know to cure it until the pH doesn't change. Then cure it in saltwater as well.

My big question is who has done 90% of their tank in DIY rock and been successful for a long period?
I used Portland type 2 cement and oyster shells years ago. I slowly swapped it out for real rock but there are still a couple pieces in my system.
You never have to worry about po4 dropping off with oyster shells. ;)
But sand will look much nicer. Maybe mix sand and shells?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back