DIY Screen Top Progress

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One side is complete, this one is made from acrylic. Had some 1/4 inch on hand, will see if it holds up. Had a problem with the spline slot on the right side piece, will recut another piece. Decided not to do complete polish on the edges, stopped at 2500 grit. You can see the polish level on the round piece for the feed hole lid. Tested this on the unusable right side piece, complete polish makes it look made in china. 1/4 inch white mesh from BRS and grey spline from amazon. Still have not decided to round the outside corners or not, I have a jig for my trim router to round them if needed.
20240317_162702.jpg
20240317_163402.jpg
20240318_102451.jpg
20240318_102511.jpg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made an acrylic top for my dart frogs before I knew this, warped badly shortly after starting to use them and that was no where near the amount of humidity a tank full of water has. Flightless fruit flies everywhere, they cant fly but they sure can climb and jump.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't know for sure, but figured I would try it anyway . Just don't like the coatings on polycarbonate.
I hear ya… acrylic absorbs to much water and curls up… thicker makes it worse lol..

OP
OP
ShakeyGizzard

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made an acrylic top for my dart frogs before I knew this, warped badly shortly after starting to use them and that was no where near the amount of humidity a tank full of water has. Flightless fruit flies everywhere, they cant fly but they sure can climb and jump.
I knew acrylic would possibly bend under the lights, thought of ways to reinforce it. Polycarbonate will yellow and get brittle under UV lights unless its coated with a UV blocker. Didn't want to chance that coming off into the tank.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean? Polycarb can’t be polished?
Just what I said.. you can’t sand and polish it.. it will never look like acrylic or glass lol… the only means of even getting a shine on it, is using a solvent and melting the edges.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew acrylic would possibly bend under the lights, thought of ways to reinforce it. Polycarbonate will yellow and get brittle under UV lights unless it’s coated with a UV blocker. Didn't want to chance that coming off into the tank.
No matter what you do it will curl.. been there done that! Poly has uv Inhibitors on one side of the sheet “it’s labeled” and that side would stay on the outside of the tank.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a weird thing and almost makes no sense. How do we build tanks out of this stuff? lol
It’s glued together the edges are solid! It still does bow just doesn’t curl up.. you go buy one of those sea clear tanks and fill it up it looks good for a couple days then it belly’s out..

OP
OP
ShakeyGizzard

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what you do it will curl.. been there done that! Poly has uv Inhibitors on one side of the sheet “it’s labeled” and that side would stay on the outside of the tank.
Guess I could order me some polycarbonate. 1/4 inch thick should be good ?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I could order me some polycarbonate. 1/4 inch thick should be good ?
Typically it’s 3/8” cause you wanna route down at least 3/16” for the spline.. you could get away with 1/4” and not go so deep on the spline

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just what I said.. you can’t sand and polish it.. it will never look like acrylic or glass lol… the only means of even getting a shine on it, is using a solvent and melting the edges.

You can most certainly polish polycarbonate. It’s used in optics. Even sheets are easy to work with and deep scratches can be buffed out.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can most certainly polish polycarbonate. It’s used in optics. Even sheets are easy to work with and deep scratches can be buffed out.
Go ahead try it… let me know how that works out for you… it will never be optically clear again.. I’ve been using this stuff for over 30 years now, daily lol..

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe what troylee is saying is it is not possible to sand the polycarbonate. To get it optically smooth, you will need a special process. You can buff out small scratches but you will need to treat the polycarbonate with heat or chemicle to get the clarity such as used for RX glasses or sunglasses. Most poly and Acrylic scratch repair and such is a buffer/filler that fills in the gap. Rx glasses most have UV protection added to them. Acrylic and polycarbonate get mixed up quite a bit. Even I get confused. Was looking up video to polish. Outside of flame, vaporing, or solvent, i did not see anything that actually buff clarity with sanding for poly. Only acrylic. I could still be wrong but yet to fimd.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back