DIY Screen Top Progress

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe what troylee is saying is it is not possible to sand the polycarbonate. To get it optically smooth, you will need a special process. You can buff out small scratches but you will need to treat the polycarbonate with heat or chemicle to get the clarity such as used for RX glasses or sunglasses. Most poly and Acrylic scratch repair and such is a buffer/filler that fills in the gap. Rx glasses most have UV protection added to them. Acrylic and polycarbonate get mixed up quite a bit. Even I get confused. Was looking up video to polish. Outside of flame, vaporing, or solvent, i did not see anything that actually buff clarity with sanding for poly. Only acrylic. I could still be wrong but yet to fimd.
Correct.. if you get a scratch in poly you’re not gonna get it out.. you have 2 choices a flame “ugly” and a solvent to melt the plastic “ugly again” it can’t be sanded down with micro mesh or a fine wet sand and polished out.. it will to a extend but it’s distorted and swirly it will never look factory again it’s impossible to get a clear glassy look. It’s very easy to polish acrylic out to a glass finish with zero swirls.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a weird thing and almost makes no sense. How do we build tanks out of this stuff? lol
The “wet side” expands in a convex direction, with concave on the dry side. This is the opposite direction that the water pushes on it. Also it is braced at 90 degree angles by the tether panels. This ads some stability.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The “wet side” expands in a convex direction, with concave on the dry side. This is the opposite direction that the water pushes on it. Also it is braced at 90 degree angles by the tether panels. This ads some stability.
Kind of a joke question really but Thanks! I figured the sides at 90 might add stability. That makes sense that the inside would bow out and outside in didnt 100% take that full in to account.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of a joke question really but Thanks! I figured the sides at 90 might add stability. That makes sense that the inside would bow out and outside in didnt 100% take that full in to account.
It’s weird how it works lol.. I’ve built plenty of kalk reactors and calcium reactors etc and the lids bolt down with thumb screws and are fine! I’ve even made replacement skimmer lids and they don’t curl up being round haha! But lay a square or rectangle piece of acrylic above water and the corners will curl up almost over night. Submerge a piece in water and it stays flat.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s glued together the edges are solid! It still does bow just doesn’t curl up.. you go buy one of those sea clear tanks and fill it up it looks good for a couple days then it belly’s out..
It was actually meant as a joke but you make a good point. I had just thought of that as a thickness thing. I had a 300g given to me years ago. When I first got it it was covered in coralline so I filled it up to test for leaks and clean it. It didnt bow anywhere dont remember the manufacturer I think sides and top were 1/2-5/8". Bottom was thicker then the rest. I've seen the sea clear and "cheaper" manufactured ones bow before seemed the acrylic was thinner like 3/8" for a 125. This dumb joke question has actually fielded me answers I didnt know I wanted or needed.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s weird how it works lol.. I’ve built plenty of kalk reactors and calcium reactors etc and the lids bolt down with thumb screws and are fine! I’ve even made replacement skimmer lids and they don’t curl up being round haha! But lay a square or rectangle piece of acrylic above water and the corners will curl up almost over night. Submerge a piece in water and it stays flat.
The submerged in water makes sense as both sides will "absorb" water equally.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was actually meant as a joke but you make a good point. I had just thought of that as a thickness thing. I had a 300g given to me years ago. When I first got it it was covered in coralline so I filled it up to test for leaks and clean it. It didnt bow anywhere dont remember the manufacturer I think sides and top were 1/2-5/8". Bottom was thicker then the rest. I've seen the sea clear and "cheaper" manufactured ones bow before seemed the acrylic was thinner like 3/8" for a 125. This dumb joke question has actually fielded me answers I didnt know I wanted or needed.
Most acrylic tanks will bulge outward over time on large panels. Sometimes very noticeable sometimes not, but certainly still there. We can get into the math and determine how much, but I think that is beyond the scope of the conversation.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead try it… let me know how that works out for you… it will never be optically clear again.. I’ve been using this stuff for over 30 years now, daily lol..

I believe what troylee is saying is it is not possible to sand the polycarbonate. To get it optically smooth, you will need a special process. You can buff out small scratches but you will need to treat the polycarbonate with heat or chemicle to get the clarity such as used for RX glasses or sunglasses. Most poly and Acrylic scratch repair and such is a buffer/filler that fills in the gap. Rx glasses most have UV protection added to them. Acrylic and polycarbonate get mixed up quite a bit.

Maybe we have different definitions. Below is through 0.250” polycarb (left), through scratched with 120grit (center), silver dollar sized spot polished (right). Looks pretty clear to me. There are several ways to polish poly both mechanically and chemically.

IMG_3543.jpeg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe we have different definitions. Below is through 0.250” polycarb (left), through scratched with 120grit (center), silver dollar sized spot polished (right). Looks pretty clear to me. There are several ways to polish poly both mechanically and chemically.

IMG_3543.jpeg
Hold it up and look through it into the light.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t tell from that photo as there’s nothing behind it to focus on.. like I said it’s doable but it’s no where perfect or optically clear. Acrylic all day long that’s what they use on windshields for planes and fighter jets for a reason. Hold that over a black hood on a car a couple inches away and take a picture you’ll see the scratches and swirls.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pollen season :thinking-face:
Shooting through it focused on coral.
IMG_3551.jpeg
Are you sure that is poly and not acrylic? Did you order a piece of polycarbonate or is tgis off something? And what did you use? As most buffers and clearers use fillers and thin flim layer to smooth and rid while not actually clearing it. Eitger way great job on clearing.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure that is poly and not acrylic? Did you order a piece of polycarbonate or is tgis off something? And what did you use? As most buffers and clearers use fillers and thin flim layer to smooth and rid while not actually clearing it. Eitger way great job on clearing.

IMG_3544.jpeg

This piece is cut off a sheet I ordered personally but it works the same as pieces we have at the shop which are required to be certified as they go on aircraft… at Eglin. Use your imagination.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3544.jpeg

This piece is cut off a sheet I ordered personally but it works the same as pieces we have at the shop which are required to be certified as they go on aircraft… at Eglin. Use your imagination.
If you didnt use a chemical vapor or chemical type chemical or filler, this would be the first ever i could find or hear about for perfect clarity as I can not find nor have ever heard of polycarbonate being sanded or buffed completely clear using sanding or buffing without those, or is that what you did? I dont know your equipment or capabilites lol.

Use my imagination for? Not understanding or over my head lol.

Can you go over that process and what you used. Cause then that would help alot of people since it is no where else found and even commercial sites state you cant buff or sand to perfect clarity without process stated above for polycarbonate. This will give a better understanding. Especially since you ordered and cut from polycarbonate. Really interested not sarcasm.

I work for aircraft company as well. So thats cool.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you didnt use a chemical vapor or chemical type chemical or filler, this would be the first ever i could find or hear about for perfect clarity as I can not find nor have ever heard of polycarbonate being sanded or buffed completely clear using sanding or buffing without those, or is that what you did? I dont know your equipment or capabilites lol.

Use my imagination for? Not understanding or over my head lol.

Can you go over that process and what you used. Cause then that would help alot of people since it is no where else found and even commercial sites state you cant buff or sand to perfect clarity without process stated above for polycarbonate. This will give a better understanding. Especially since you ordered and cut from polycarbonate. Really interested not sarcasm.

I work for aircraft company as well. So thats cool.

For 3D surfaces we use vapour. For this I just block sanded with 400, 1000, 1500 for 4-5 seconds each (small section). Form there it was maybe 1 second light pressure on a 10” felt wheel. For large area you would want to use a disk not wheel. There are polycarb specific pastes but in a jam I’ve used rouge as its laying on the bench and I’m lazy.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pollen season :thinking-face:
Shooting through it focused on coral.
IMG_3551.jpeg
It looks okay but far from perfectly clear.. put that effort into a piece of acrylic and you’ll see what I’m saying. Try and polish the edges of that poly and see if you can pull the prismatic out of it like acrylic a

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks okay but far from perfectly clear.. put that effort into a piece of acrylic and you’ll see what I’m saying. Try and polish the edges of that poly and see if you can pull the prismatic out of it like acrylic a

I spent less than a minute… seems to mean a lot to you though so sure. You can’t polish polycarb.

OP
OP
ShakeyGizzard

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just watching my thread evolve, not going to mention the answer I have from my companies engineer group to stop the acrylic from bowing. But still like the discussion on polish, this would make poly more feasible due to increased cost.
Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back