Do you have Earthquake plans in place for your reef aquarium?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
personally, no. an earthquake in the north east isn’t a common thing but definitely does cause some concerns. i definitely want a power outage plan just because that’s much more common here

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought about it. Earthquakes are rare in upstate NY. Now I have to think about it

rsmbudgetbuild2024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3785.jpeg

I picked up this model which was in rough shape and had issues fixed up and very happy with it. Some guys on YouTube have made hush boxes for them you won’t believe how quiet they get. But if you have one I strongly recommend to also either buy or make a bonding ground plug for it to be able to use appliances like your furnace for example.

Furnace - 400w (for summer months swap this with a 400-500w backup air conditioner pushing 5-10,000 btu. )
separate hot plate off Amazon for cooking - 500w (when in use)
Fridge 2x (main fridge with compressor on 700w when idle around 150w which is most of the time and my red bull mini fridge with is 150w compressor and 40w idling)

All my lights would be running off lithium battery inverters like this one rated for 150 watts placed wherever needed just in the evening hours that’s there required. A 4-12ah battery can last from days to weeks to months or more depending on responsible usage. These can run all types of aquarium pumps all day long too btw so convenient. And a fast charger plugged into the generator would pull 80-150w as needed to charge but I have a small factory supply of these lithium batteries.

IMG_3786.jpeg

the next upgrade would be to have the generator easily tie into the electrical panel directly in the event of power loss but my system which relies primarily on power delivery via extension cord is really just an eye sore.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a fault line on the East coast. I remember many years ago in college they said that it was going to start becoming active soon with more frequency.
I am not sure if this is the same one you're talking about, but they are saying this quake was from a fault that has been very quiet for a few 100 million years. IMO, it's possible this fault will become very active in the next few years.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have felt many after today's quake. How are your starfish and puffers doing after the quakes? You're in NY, right?
I’m in PA and that’s the first thing I checked on lol. Not a drop of water spilled from the tanks so fishies are happy.:)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I found out early this afternoon as Our aircraft remained on the ground with destinations to PA, NY, NJ, VA and Washington D.C.
Hope everyone doing ok.

dwarfseahorse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had quite a few tanks 30 years ago when the big one hit us. Small shakes were never really a problem other than possibly some water loss from a few of the tanks. However, the big one caused the house to come off the foundation and all tanks went down regardless of how stable of an item they were on. We were out of town and our neighbor rushed over and found a few living fish and put them in water. Unfortunately, the ones she found were salt water and she put them in regular water so that didn't work. Glass everywhere. Even the one we had above the fireplace on a really strong mantel system came down (along with the fireplace that came down on the outside). Now, I keep plenty of Salt Water and plenty of Fresh Water and extra containers that I could quickly put my fish in (if I am at home when it happens). Back then some people used coffee cans that they put holes in so that the coffee can would slowly drip water into the container their fish were in (no electric). Backup generators will always come in handy if your tank does not come down. Unfortunately, it is like tornadoes. My house came off the foundation and my neighbor's home a few doors down didn't even have anything come off her book shelves. If it is a bad earthquake the first problem becomes getting through all the glass without getting cut.

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, it's funny to see this thread as I was impacted by the earthquake today as I live in NJ. My immediate thought at what level of earthquake can my tank withstand :) never had considered this in my area being a concern, but after today it is! I think if my aquarium cracks due to a quake, it is a sign to get out of the hobby. lol

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Went through a 6.8 quake a few years ago.
Had a 180 and a 135 set up.
Was at work and once head count was over we were sent home.
I was convinced I would see water running out my front door when I got home.
But it wasn't too bad. Lost 20-25 gallons from each tank.
The circuits were popped on both tanks.
Water sloshed back and forth and out.
Hit the wall and even hit the ceiling.
When the water hit the wall it ran down and popped the outlets.
One tank ( 135) was about 1/2" off center on the stand. The 180 didn't move at all.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I live in Arizona and we don't have Earthquakes :) thankfully we don't have any
We don’t either until we do. Technically speaking small earthquakes happen everywhere everyday and can only be felt once the magnitude is higher. So never say never.

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Wellington nz and my old tank went through a 6.2 and 7 something (though the 7 was a little bit away). The tank was along the movement of the quake, if that makes sense? And about half the water ended up on the floor but the tank itself was fine.

Personally, have quite a bit of experience with earthquakes, I'm much more concerned about something falling into the tank and cracking it. If it's big enough the tank topples, you have much bigger problems. There's nothing you can do to prevent movement which splits a seam. In saying that, because of earthquakes, I won't get a tank longer than around 5ft because the seams are more vulnerable. I have a generator, but realistically in a 8+, we won't have running water or power for months. Everything will die.

Honestly, I don't think anyone should be worried about anything less than a 6. If anything happens to your tank with that, it's probably an installation issue (stand not being stable, something falling on it) or a freak accident.

If it's bigger than than, you're likely looking at more significant damage to your house/city and there's not much you can do.

I do enjoy everyone freaking out though when the largest eq in their entire area in the history of forever is a 4.3 or something. You guys should worry more about tornadoes or flatworms.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People in California laughing at us right now and making memes about it….
Despicable Me Lol GIF
And us in Florida. At least, with hurricanes, we get significant warning. Modern house and not in flood zone, most you need to prepare for is 2-3 weeks of no electricity

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back