Do you siphon your sand?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I personally used to but now I don’t! I have a good cuc who keeps the sand looking good and in the fowlr tank the wrasse takes care of it and the sand has always been sparkling in that tank. I’d love to hear your thoughts/opinions on this.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been running for about 16 months now. I clean the sand bit by bit- but I have no schedule as such. Since I sat up my auto water change I have been slacking somewhat ;)

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I personally used to but now I don’t! I have a good cuc who keeps the sand looking good and in the fowlr tank the wrasse takes care of it and the sand has always been sparkling in that tank. I’d love to hear your thoughts/opinions on this.
I do not. I did try before but the siphon I used was pulling sand out but my goby does a good job of keeping it clean.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. I have lots of Cerith/dwarf Cerith/nassarius snails plus a sea cucumber that seem to do a pretty decent job

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. I have lots of Cerith/dwarf Cerith/nassarius snails plus a sea cucumber that seem to do a pretty decent job

They keep it looking clean but if you vacuum it you will be surprised how much sludge comes out of the bottom. BTW: If vacuum is lifting sand just decrease the flow.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't siphon it but I stir it all up a couple of times a year using a diatom filter. I use dolomite gravel and a reverse undergravel filter so I need to make sure it doesn't clog.

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1” sandbed and vaccumed it for the first time after 30 days. I was surprised at the amount of detritus and I have a super light bioload. Just based on that alone I’ll plan to vacuum around half my bed every other water change as long as nitrates and phosphates are above 0.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a little bit of an aversion to this because every time i poke or move something a bit, there's a little cloudiness that lifts up into the water column.. I made the noob mistake of not rinsing my sand prior to setting up my system. In its first 4-5 weeks, I was stirring up the bed daily with a baster to poke around at the sand and using seachem clarity while changing the floss out of my hob daily. Fast forward almost 8 weeks, still seeing the clouds but they're not too bad. Planning on starting vacuuming up section by section soon

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
havent vacuumed at all. My village idiot of a diamond goby keeps it clean
why is he/ she the village idiot? Because it dumps sand all over the place and tried to kill itself twice when it got freaked out by my glass scraper
mine tried to get into the siphon hose when i was doing a water change today - maybe related to your village idiot. He/she is a massive diamond goby, which is a good thing as he/she blocked the water flow enough for me to stop before he./she was sucked into the bucket.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gravel, which is a lot easier than sand. I take a large turkey blaster and blast into the gravel while siphoning water, all the uneaten food and what ever else comes right out and into the siphon easy

CK Amstutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I siphon clean every month, every place I can reach. I do add a bag of live sand about once or twice a year. My tank has been running about ten years and is about 150 gallons. I always wonder if I am doing it right.

Attachments

• IMG_9569.jpeg
    IMG_9569.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 50

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to skim out the top layer of sand with thick growths of dinos. I'd rinse it in tank water, filter the water through 5 micron socks and return the sand and water to the tank. Now that I appear to be thankfully past that I haven't decided for sure what is best for my tank. So far I'm relying on my Diamond Goby and two sand sifting starfish. It kinda bothers me that I'm letting my reef sand get dirty while I've always meticulously cleaned my FOWLR tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back