Does community even exist anymore?

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the time of year when you see how hungry the hobby is. In the last week I saw a $500 frag covered in hair algae, some pretty common frags going for a premium. And a ton of 10% discounts with a chance to win a whatchamacallits and thingymajigs.

Anyone else feel like we are pricing ourselves out of the hobby?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what your selling lol, :)
I would not buy anything covered in algae

Attachments

• IMG20231118191649.jpg
    IMG20231118191649.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG20231118191659.jpg
    IMG20231118191659.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG20231118191633.jpg
    IMG20231118191633.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 86

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice a shift in my area. It seems sellers were banking on the covid boom to continue. It didn't. Now attendance at swaps and shows are much lower and many people have left the hobby. But prices somehow remain high. Probably trying to recoup the loses from miscalculated investments. Reefing will pickup again, but slow times are here for a while, imo.

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice a shift in my area. It seems sellers were banking on the covid boom to continue. It didn't. Now attendance at swaps and shows are much lower and many people have left the hobby. But prices somehow remain high. Probably trying to recoup the loses from miscalculated investments. Reefing will pickup again, but slow times are here for a while, imo.
I can completely agree with that. The bubble has bursted. And unfortunately there are very few examples of prices dropping after a spike.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said and keep saying, you'll never see the likes of COVID in the reefing industry again. Peak reefing is done.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can completely agree with that. The bubble has bursted. And unfortunately there are very few examples of prices dropping after a spike.
It will drop or they will be stuck with unsellable frags (colonies).

Livestock prices are already coming down at the LFS & wholesale level.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. Prices been coming down all year and there are tons of really nice coral frags below $20 from a wide range of vendors. There are also $100+ premium frags for those that chase designer names. IMO, the pricing right now is very fair and caters to all income levels.

Obviously if you are one of those that chase designer names but don't want to pay the $$ for it, that's on you.

Example, you can get a lot of zoas and favias in the $10 - $25 range in any live sales. But you want that $200 stratosphere zoa, it's all yours. Same for acros. You can get PC rainbows for $25 or if you want designer names, you can get angry bird for $500.

F4u-SuperCorsair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New-ish to saltwater here. Here's hoping for the bubble to burst as the prices are out of control for fish, corals, and equipment.

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. Prices been coming down all year and there are tons of really nice coral frags below $20 from a wide range of vendors. There are also $100+ premium frags for those that chase designer names. IMO, the pricing right now is very fair and caters to all income levels.

Obviously if you are one of those that chase designer names but don't want to pay the $$ for it, that's on you.

Example, you can get a lot of zoas and favias in the $10 - $25 range in any live sales. But you want that $200 stratosphere zoa, it's all yours. Same for acros. You can get PC rainbows for $25 or if you want designer names, you can get angry bird for $500.
While I can agree that if you are looking in the right place, live sales and such. You can find some deals. But I did a quick search at a few online spots for their lower cost options. And you would be hard to find a zoa or favia under $40 and sps under 65. Granted that was a quick search and probably holds no weight. But interesting to say the least

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is the time of year when you see how hungry the hobby is. In the last week I saw a $500 frag covered in hair algae, some pretty common frags going for a premium. And a ton of 10% discounts with a chance to win a whatchamacallits and thingymajigs.

Anyone else feel like we are pricing ourselves out of the hobby?
are you sure it wasn't just some really rare and exotic algae, and the pesky coral was the hitchhiker?

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will drop or they will be stuck with unsellable frags (colonies).

Livestock prices are already coming down at the LFS & wholesale level.
I respectfully disagree with this statement. Livestock has gone up this year by alot. I recently sold a show size Blonde Naso I purchased a little over 2 years ago for $50 at about 2 inches or so. Thinking I was going to bring another one in and start all over. That was until I found out the same size fish is now $150 locally. Just one nassarius snail is going for 3 bucks now when they were about a dollar less than a year ago. I was floored when I went to replenish my janitorial staff. Lol. I picked up a flame angel 3 months ago paid $90. Same fish now is $125.

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you sure it wasn't just some really rare and exotic algae, and the pesky coral was the hitchhiker?
It might of been one of those deep water hair algae we’ve been hearing about. Hard to tell til it colors up.. also can say you have been consistently with your pricing over the years

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can agree that if you are looking in the right place, live sales and such. You can find some deals. But I did a quick search at a few online spots for their lower cost options. And you would be hard to find a zoa or favia under $40 and sps under 65. Granted that was a quick search and probably holds no weight. But interesting to say the least
Like any hobby, it's up to consumers to research and find the best price. There is guaranteed one or two live sales per months just from sponsors here. It's not hard to find cheap corals...

Zoas starting at $5 at @uniquecorals

LPS starting at $15 at @riptideaquarium

Acros under $60 and before another 40% off @AquaSD

Obviously those are links to sales since everyone is having black Friday sales right now but again these prices can be found throughout the year

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like any hobby, it's up to consumers to research and find the best price. There is guaranteed one or two live sales per months just from sponsors here. It's not hard to find cheap corals...

Zoas starting at $5 at @uniquecorals

LPS starting at $15 at @riptideaquarium

Acros under $60 and before another 40% off @AquaSD

Obviously those are links to sales since everyone is having black Friday sales right now but again these prices can be found throughout the year
great places to support too. Thanks for sharing for anyone looking!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back