Does community even exist anymore?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not quite as rich as some others in the reefing hobby, meaning I have had to take several months to save up even for my 15 gallon first salt aquarium. Seeing how bad the 'reef tax' is on certain items that really have no business being that expensive, has made me lose a little bit of faith from the get-go. For context, I started my aquarium not long ago.

Talking about curating a community, I think if my coral ever succeeds to the point where I could frag it and sell it, I would rather just give it away to beginner reefers nearby. It feels almost criminal for me to even fantasize about selling anything that I can just grow in my tank for 'free' especially if it's a cheap coral (GSP, xenia, et cetera).

I might be talking out of my behind here, time will tell, maybe I will get my hands on something I feel like I could sell. For now though, it feels absolutely shameless and low, the way it feels like every single reefer feels compelled to become the next biggest frag factory and sell everything they get their hands on. I understand wanting to recoup some losses from tank setup or running costs, or heck even just make a buck off it, but the frequency and the high prices for seemingly no reason has me feeling a bit discouraged.

The reason I feel this way is because I keep trying to start discussions with people on Facebook as a beginner reefer, but 75% of the time when I try to start a casual DM about how enjoyable this hobby is, or ask for tips and tricks, all I get in return is a barrage of grail torch videos clearly indicating the only reason people even talk to me in the first place on Facebook is to try and sell me something.

In short, this hobby has felt very impersonal so far. I want those connections and I want the community. So far, I've found that by using forum and Discord instead of Facebook.
Yup, I know what you mean. I can't even give coral away, people don't want to leave their house. I am always about helping others though, and never take from the community. You just gotta find the true Reefers out there that do care, and not looking for validation or money.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I know what you mean. I can't even give coral away, people don't want to leave their house. I am always about helping others though, and never take from the community. You just gotta find the true Reefers out there that do care, and not looking for validation or money.
I used to give coral away and when I saw my stuff for sale on Facebook, that ended. People suck... So much for community.

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to give coral away and when I saw my stuff for sale on Facebook, that ended. People suck... So much for community.
Oh. Can't trust anyone I suppose. I think I will just give my frags to LFS or friends only, then. I think I would be a bit disappointed if someone tried to do that with a gift I gave them, personally. :frowning-face:

Last edited:

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of that too, but giving shouldn't have terms. I understand if you were lied to though.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give corals away all the time and sell corals for dirt cheap. $50 gold torch, $5 zoa frags, free GSP and clove polyps and montiporas. I even delivered corals to people's houses.

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a take crash maybe a year ago when I moved to a new house. And the out-poor of support that came my way offering frags and encouragement was amazing. While I didn’t take any of them up on the offer. It really did keep me going and from that day. I will always be willing to help others out if I can. Experienced the community at its best. But it seems like a ton might have changed since then lol

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said and keep saying, you'll never see the likes of COVID in the reefing industry again. Peak reefing is done.
You say that like mother nature isn’t going to come up with another population reducing virus... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indo gold regular price is $150 a head. This weekend discount is 35% off all euphyilla. 25% off goni, 50% off acros, 20% off everything else. You can't expect businesses to run selling only $10-$20 frags. They cater to all budget but if you want their holy grail torch for $50, that's a you problem.
I just shut a tank down and sold off quite a few fish. Also just gave away several hundred dollars in coral. Some saucer sized trachys and others. I have one more to go my 180. I'll be selling the fish for a fraction of what you'd expect to pay and giving away another load of coral. I'm close to you. I'll give you everything I have left. But the catch is you gotta take it all. Even the cheap ones. Sold a show size Blonde Naso for $125. I thought that was fair. Go to a shop and that same fish will easily cost you $400. Sold an 8"inch Fiji foxface for 100 bucks same thing it will cost you more than double for that same fish at a shop even if you can find one. Sold several other full size bristletooths for $50 bucks. Again seems more than fair to me. To answer your question I would never spend more than a $100 on any coral and even then it better be special. I have some nice stuff and none of it came from WWC or TSA.

Last edited:

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of that too, but giving shouldn't have terms. I understand if you were lied to though.
I don't have terms, but to take something that I give and list it for profit within 72 hours claiming you grew it, is just flat out wrong.

IDK if you grow out a frag I give then profit from it, but to give away a rock covered colony and see it listed near instantly, nah... As I said people suck.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have terms, but to take something that I give and list it for profit within 72 hours claiming you grew it, is just flat out wrong.

IDK if you grow out a frag I give then profit from it, but to give away a rock covered colony and see it listed near instantly, nah... As I said people suck.
I know what you mean. We all get jaded by how we are treated. LFS's and vendors do that daily though. People largely assume that they have grown out the coral, when a lot of the time it just came in, got fragged up, and listed for sale shortly after. I know that is not the case in this situation, but it is just something we have no control over. To me, all the bad goes away when things finally go right, and I actually help out someone. Maybe I am naive, but I won't give up trying to help.

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it does. I find affordable prices for great corals at local Frag Swaps and my LFS.
Come to think of it my LFS has some pretty good prices. I think it is because they are quite a big store locally and lots of people contribute their frags to the store.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Community DOES exist, but I think more locally when it comes to the seeking of corals. When you go nationally and ship, everyone compares to everyone else and prices keep going up because let’s face it, we exist in a hobby with a LOT of wealthy folks willing to pay crazy money to get what they want.

Meanwhile I’m selling Orange Passion “frags” like this for $60 locally in our community and I feel bad charging that much but that’s a year of growth.

IMG_7126.jpeg

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come to think of it my LFS has some pretty good prices. I think it is because they are quite a big store locally and lots of people contribute their frags to the store.
Good point. My LFS has spotless tanks, quarantines new inventory, and buys and sells from the community.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other day at my Love/Hate LFS. I traded my Chameleon Wrasse that I grew from a no color brown to beautiful specimen, for a very sad shape blue throat. When I went back in, I was talking to the other brother said " so when that wrasse gets better you are going to bring him back right?" This is the same store that wants you to bring in frags of your stuff, not for trade, but out of the kindness of your heart. While they will sell that same frag to their other customers. I am completely cool with livestock credit, which one of the brothers does. but not this one. It's infuriating. Partially because it is a half block away so it is so dang convenient.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other day at my Love/Hate LFS. I traded my Chameleon Wrasse that I grew from a no color brown to beautiful specimen, for a very sad shape blue throat. When I went back in, I was talking to the other brother said " so when that wrasse gets better you are going to bring him back right?" This is the same store that wants you to bring in frags of your stuff, not for trade, but out of the kindness of your heart. While they will sell that same frag to their other customers. I am completely cool with livestock credit, which one of the brothers does. but not this one. It's infuriating. Partially because it is a half block away so it is so dang convenient.
I wonder which lovable LFS is that, lol. Message me with an answer!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't express how happy I am to live where I do where I can FULLY participate in the hobby without half of the corals being so outrageously expensive I'd never allow myself to risk that it might die for seemingly no reason. I can actually buy an Acanthophyllia if I want. That shouldn't be so difficult to say and mean. I simply wouldn't be able to justify the outrageous prices paid in America when it is a hobby after all. And it's ridiculous, however you rationalize it. Of it truly costs that much than be innovative and lower the price with a new system.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back