Does this look like just fish poop?

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0079.JPG
I've got a hospital tank set up with copper in my 3rd week to treat ich. I did one initial treatment of fentanyl prior to water change & starting copper. Biggest fish (naso) is about 3.5". Does this (4-5") look like anything I need to worry about?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are dirty, nasty fish. :p It looks a bit more connected than I normally see from my Tangs. Nothing about it looks too bad to me and the fish may have been a bit constipated when he finally let go. @4FordFamily could probably say for sure if it is a problem.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are dirty, nasty fish. :p It looks a bit more connected than I normally see from my Tangs. Nothing about it looks too bad to me and the fish may have been a bit constipated when he finally let go. @4FordFamily could probably say for sure if it is a problem.

+1 Not a problem unless it's white stringy poop.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish two doses of prazi will take care of the white stringy kind, correct?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish two doses of prazi will take care of the white stringy kind, correct?

Metroplex will take care of the white stringy kind when fed in the food.

The picture above looks like regular poo to me too.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex will take care of the white stringy kind when fed in the food.

The picture above looks like regular poo to me too.

Sorry to hijack, but since API general cure has metro in it would that be a sufficient substitute for metroplex? Also, having done one dose of prazi already...would it cover the second prazi dosage as well if I use general cure instead of prazipro? @Humblefish @melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack, but since API general cure has metro in it would that be a sufficient substitute for metroplex? Also, having done one dose of prazi already...would it cover the second prazi dosage as well if I use general cure instead of prazipro? @Humblefish @melypr1985

Technically yes, though it's better for intestinal worms to feed the medication to the fish and not dose it in the water. So, it would help with the flukes, but not quite cover the intestinal worms.... if that makes sense.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing re: metroplex. The manufacture instructions suggest using another product (focus) when medicating food vs. dosing the tank. Is this necessary in your experience? @melypr1985

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing re: metroplex. The manufacture instructions suggest using another product (focus) when medicating food vs. dosing the tank. Is this necessary in your experience? @melypr1985
Yes, it is. Focus binds the Metroplex to the food. If you didn't use it with Focus, the Metroplex would release into the tank water when you added the food to the tank. The fish would still get some of the Metro depending on how quickly they ate, but you wouldn't be able to control the dosage very well.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As brew said, it is indeed needed when feeding metroplex to the fish for intestinal worms. He did a great job of explaining it :)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably should just start my own topic lol but, since we are all here...

I'm already in the process of dosing prazi. I've ordered metroplex/focus but it will take ~week to get here. I do have some metro+ on hand (all my LFS carries) that I could try in the meantime. I've only noticed the stringy poop for the last two days since dosing prazi.

Wait for metroplex/focus or feed metro+? Would it hurt to do one now and the other later?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably should just start my own topic lol but, since we are all here...

I'm already in the process of dosing prazi. I've ordered metroplex/focus but it will take ~week to get here. I do have some metro+ on hand (all my LFS carries) that I could try in the meantime. I've only noticed the stringy poop for the last two days since dosing prazi.

Wait for metroplex/focus or feed metro+? Would it hurt to do one now and the other later?

Metro+ does come with directions on how to make fish food out of it. If you want to do that, I don't see any reason you need to wait for Metroplex/Focus. At least it should work if your fish eat flakes/pellets.
http://www.hikariusa.com/articles/medicated-feed/

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro+ does come with directions on how to make fish food out of it. If you want to do that, I don't see any reason you need to wait for Metroplex/Focus. At least it should work if your fish eat flakes/pellets.
http://www.hikariusa.com/articles/medicated-feed/
Well, no buying grain alcohol in my state so gelatin it is I guess lol it doesn't seem "too" bad so I'll give it a try and keep the stuff I ordered for next time.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro+ contains metronidazole, so it can be dosed or used in food the same as Metroplex, Metro-MS, etc.

It's basically the same product made by a different company. :)

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a hospital tank set up with copper in my 3rd week to treat ich. I did one initial treatment of fentanyl prior to water change & starting copper. Biggest fish (naso) is about 3.5". Does this (4-5") look like anything I need to worry about?
I'm sure it was a typo. You didn't put Fentanyl in the water right?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back