Does this urchin look unhealthy?

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if the pic is not great, it seemed fine yesterday, was wearing a shell and moving around and eating. I did a feeding yesterday where the a gyre was turned off. I left the room, and when I came back it was just turning on, and the urchin was attached to the front of the gyre, so I turned off the gyre. After I turned it off it released from the gyre and feel to the sand bed.

Not sure that would cause any harm, but this morning it seems to have some spines pointing in different directions.
IMG_3514.jpeg

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Just looks covered with goo. Spines seem erect...dropping spines doesn't always mean death.

BTW, they don't like very high nitrates I read somewhere.

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usually they go very fast….Ive seen a few sorta drop spines but in 24hrs those were dead…
basically IME I’ve never seen a sick urchin that I could tell: they were either alive or dead
Yea I bought my first one at my usual lfs that was a much smaller tux urchin about .5 inch. Figured I get a smaller one. Pretty sure it was sick or stressed since it lost like 8 spines during the drive. Wasn't very active either. A few hours in the tank after acclimating (drip) and it didn't move once. Following day all spines were gone and confirmed dead.

Pretty sad as it was my first urchin. But I found some bigger ones 1.5in at a different lfs for same price. That sucker was active. This time I just temp acclimated with bag float 30 minutes. Then dropped it in. Started moving immediately. Its been about a week now. Love watching it take shells for a ride.

mnsean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usually they go very fast….Ive seen a few sorta drop spines but in 24hrs those were dead…
basically IME I’ve never seen a sick urchin that I could tell: they were either alive or dead

What does dead urchin looks like? I accidentally dropped mine in the back chamber, where the heater is and I didn’t notice for about an hr… which caused her to lose all her decor then she disappeared for about a week now..

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks fine to me. Good spine coverage and from what I can see tentacles.

I'd be more worried if you didn't see tentacles moving around and spines dropping. In all reality you may have just made it grumpy moving it.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does dead urchin looks like? I accidentally dropped mine in the back chamber, where the heater is and I didn’t notice for about an hr… which caused her to lose all her decor then she disappeared for about a week now..
depends: long spine urchins turn into a pile of goo, whereas tuxedos,et drop all the spines
pencil urchins spines droop …that’s of course when I see them ymmv

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back