Early start on build?

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan of this build is a 75 and a 60 on a 40b sump. There is a strong change I will swap out the 60 for another 75 or larger depending on how my money situation plays out in the next couple of weeks. Anyway, Ive mostly finished what I need to build for the first 75, the rest of the build is fairly involved so it will take me some time. Im thinking about just getting that first tank and the sump up and running as soon as I can instead of waiting until everything is completed. Would be nice for several reasons, the biggest one is Im not sure how I feel about having $500 worth of live rock delivered from florida to texas in August.

Anyway, the skimmer I bought (Simplicity 240dc) had the total finished volume in mind. I never used one of their skimmers so Im wondering would this be way too much overkill for a 75g plus about 15g in the sump? Would that skimmer still function if dialed way down? Ive thought about maybe running it intermittently but Im not sure I like the idea of the fluctuations that would cause.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start it up! There will always be changes down the road and getting the live rock going now will get the system head started for the additon of the next tank when that happens. I don't think the skimmer is an issue.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back