earthquake - how's your tank?

What has your tank encountered during an earthquake?

• Water Loss

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seam Failure

• Tank on Floor

• Fish Jumps

• Other

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious. after seeing a picture of a massive sized tank in CA, it made me think of what peoples tanks have experienced when the ground shimmies? are we just losing water over the sides or seam failures? How do your fish respond? Jumpers etc..?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately we don’t have many big ones in the UK, but hopefully everyone else affected is fine

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Back a few years ago in the pacific Northwest we had a fairly big earthquake. Originally they said 7.2, but down graded it to 6.8 I believe. Any way a 6.8 is nothing to sneeze it.
I was at work in a coal generated powerhouse and it rattled and rolled like it was coming down.
It was truly scary.
Once they allowed us to leave (after head count), I raced home ( 30+ miles) and seeing the occasional house damaged, I was totally convinced my 180 gallon and 135 gallon tanks had to be destroyed, on the floor.
I actually thought I would see water draining out the front door.
When I got home, I was amazed that everything was intact and relatively safe.
Power was off on the circuit my tanks were on.
Both tanks lost 25-30 gallons of water.
The water sloshed out of the open canopy, hit the walls behind the tanks, and out. Some water hit the ceilings.
My 135 was still in the exact same spot on the stand, but the stand was 1" farther away from the wall on one end and 1/2" on the other end.
The 180's stand was still positioned where it was before, but the tank itself had moved about 3/8" off center on one end.
No fish losses, but a few corals had to be put back up in place.
Both tanks survived well. Had the 135 for 3 more years before selling it and had the 180 for another 5 years before selling it.
I'm just glad my diy stands were overbuilt. They came through with flying colors.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back a few years ago in the pacific Northwest we had a fairly big earthquake. Originally they said 7.2, but down graded it to 6.8 I believe. Any way a 6.8 is nothing to sneeze it.
I was at work in a coal generated powerhouse and it rattled and rolled like it was coming down.
It was truly scary.
Once they allowed us to leave (after head count), I raced home ( 30+ miles) and seeing the occasional house damaged, I was totally convinced my 180 gallon and 135 gallon tanks had to be destroyed, on the floor.
The water sloshed out of the open canopy, hit the walls behind the tanks, and out. Some water hit the ceilings.
My 135 was still in the exact same spot on the stand, but the stand was 1" farther away from the wall on one end and 1/2" on the other end.
The 180's stand was still positioned where it was before, but the tank itself had moved about 3/8" off center on one end.
Both tanks survived well. Had the 135 for 3 more years before selling it and had the 180 for another 5 years before selling it.
I'm just glad my diy stands were overbuilt. They came through with flying colors.
this is the info that I wonder about.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a 4.2 two days ago while I was stalking my tank...barely moved the water. Fingers crossed for anything bigger though. Realistically, I doubt you would lose much water in a 5.0-6.0.
I lived in South Bay for many years but never had a tank. Instead I had a 300 gallon koi pond on my dining room floor till the 6" fish all disappeared. I suspect the cat but never found any bones or anything. Was one of those pre-formed ponds from Lowes with a fountain in the middle.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was truly scary.
I lived in West Seattle during that one but was in Whistler when it happened. No tank at the time but I expected to find stuff dumped out of the cupboards or something. Nothing significant was out of place when I got home.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I lived in West Seattle during that one but was in Whistler when it happened. No tank at the time but I expected to find stuff dumped out of the cupboards or something. Nothing significant was out of place when I got home.
The epicenter was near Nisqually.
At my house there was very little damage. But on the way home between the Centralia steam plant and Lacey I saw a couple chimneys knocked over and couple other random parts off houses not being where they were supposed to be.
7 miles from my house was the Safeway store my wife worked at and was there when it hit.
The final tally was they lost nearly 40% of the items that was on the shelves. Mostly glass containers.

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alaska, 2018 we had a 7.2 that was centered about 10 miles away.

I had a 220G Oceanic set up for about 8 1/2 years. Quake moved the entire tank more than 6" off the stand. Broke the drain pipes off at the bulkheads on both sides. Probably lost about 25G or so between the bulkheads draining into the stand, and the water over the rim.

I have pictures somewhere, I'll dig them up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back