Electrobes' sumpless 40Br

redemer123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice tank!, im not sure if its just bubbles or something but it looks like there is some kind of film at the surface of the water. If so this can be solved by increased flow and surface skimming.

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice tank!, im not sure if its just bubbles or something but it looks like there is some kind of film at the surface of the water. If so this can be solved by increased flow and surface skimming.

Yep, those were slow bubbles on the surface. I had shut off my vortech during the cleaning and forgot to turn it back on. On the super bonus side, I just bought another MP10 for the tank (Which should have arrived last Thursday!).

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hood repaint and rewire

So I haven't started my Tech M adventure quite yet. It's been busy around the house here. I am almost done redoing my garage, and while I was at it, I thought.. instead of just taking the hood off to do some tank maintenance... I would also repaint it and rewire it.

Why rewire it? I screwed it up the first time. Both lights on one side of the tank would light up, then the other... instead of middle lights.. and then the second pair of middle lights. Doh!

Here are pictures of the fun:

First the garage almost being done:
P1010322Medium.jpg

Hood before redoing it:
P1010323Medium.jpg

Sanding it down:
P1010324Medium.jpg

Painted and re-wiring it:
P1010325Medium.jpg

And we're done!
P1010326Medium.jpg

You'll notice the LED moonlights are gone. It'll be temporary. The original moonlights I had worked great but they were slowly falling off the hood. I've decided to use a cold cathode tube (Maybe not.. who knows) as it will be easier and cleaner to install to the hood.

I'm hoping to get the other projects done within the next two weeks. Here's hoping! :xd:

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my ballast is under warranty but it will take too long for it to get here before my corals start to super stress. I bought a fullham workhorse 5 from Aquarium Specialty, and I should get it Tuesday. This is good as not only will I have a back up but if I want, I can switch from 4X24watts to 2X24watts AND 2X39watts. I am still waiting on my Vortech to get here.. but am excited to install it on the tank.

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After rewiring my hood, I decided that I didn't want the ballasts permanently attached to the hood. I decided to wire up some quick disconnects. This required soldering and what not... not a fan! But here we go:

P1010327Medium.jpg

P1010328Medium.jpg

After that fun It went back on the tank (I forgot to take pics... was in a rush). Once my other ballast shows up, it'll take five seconds to connect and I'll be done. For now the aquablue spezials are on to give some light to these poor corals.

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More fixin'

So I finished the wiring as I said before... but I am still waiting on a ballast to arrive, so I am functioning on half lights. Naturally my aquablue specials are on as opposed to the blue pluses.

Also to note:

- I started the Kent Mag treatment on the 4 patches of bryopsis (You'll see some in the photos.) I basically dose the max allowable dose, spraying it onto the patches directly. This will go on until the bryopsis has been exterminated. On the plus side, it seemed to have been waning... so maybe it will die at a faster rate.

- I am going to start changing the sand bed out. This will be done via water changes, sucking out some of the sand bed and changing it out with new sand. This is going to suck, but will be worth it in the end. This is the price I pay for not keeping my sand stirred... it turned all black for reasons we all know, and I hope to prevent this after it has all been changed out.

- The Tunze 9002 skimmer that is in my AC110 has been doing it's job. It's not a ridiculous skimmer, and I was looking for something hyper crazy. This in conjunction with my phosban reactor running gfo and Rox carbon is doing great for my mixed tank. I do get some micro bubbles in the tank, but I have learned to just live with it, and accept that it's worth it for the health of the tank.

- New SPS corals seem to be doing alright, considering all the craziness with the tank. Huzzah!

- My new Vortech MP10 still hasn't arrived, and I am definitely saddened by this. Aquarium Specialty is has contacted Ecotech, but pass this I have no idea when I am getting it. Poo....

Pictures of progress!

P1010332Medium.jpg

P1010334Medium.jpg

P1010335Medium.jpg

P1010336Medium.jpg

P1010337Medium.jpg

P1010338Medium.jpg

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day Two of Bryopsis Treatment via Kent's Tech M:

So far so good. The tank overall is looking a lot better, but I believe it to be the result of all the work upon the tank that I've been doing, as opposed to just the Tech M treatment. Coincidentally, the lack of lights on the tank the prior 3 days helped weaken the bryopsis just before the treatment. I started off with 4 annoying patches about the size (on average) of about a silver dollar. One seems completely gone, while the other three are definitely struggling. This wasn't without consequence... I definitely made my Keds Reds mad, and the purple deaths slimed pretty bad. I tried making them close up before the treatment, but even then not all are gunna be happy all the time.

I am confident this treatment is working but will take some more time. I am actively removing the bryopsis by hand before the treatment, and each time it seems the reef is looking better. I can't wait till this treatment is completed and the bryopsis is eradicated. That and when the second vortech comes into play, and the other ballast arrives.. this tank should be sitting pretty! :)

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day after treatment pics

Mandatory full tank shot.
P1010339Medium.jpg

The ricordeas have been rockin' as of late. The Keds Reds is one of the worst patches of bryopsis but seems to be doing well!
P1010340Medium.jpg

Not my best pic of this structure... but it's the only one I've got! This was the second worst patch of bropsis... but getting better.
P1010341Medium.jpg

The SPS still surviving. They're wondering where the other pair of lights are... I keep telling them tomorrow!
P1010342Medium.jpg

The right side of the tank. It had some varying degrees of bryopsis... but never anything too central.
P1010343Medium.jpg

A peek at my leather in the back. I love this guy!
P1010345Medium.jpg

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all finally came!

The ballast arrived, and to my surprise, so did the Vortech!

P1010347Medium.jpg

P1010349Medium.jpg

P1010351Medium.jpg

P1010352Medium.jpg

P1010353Medium.jpg

P1010354Medium.jpg

P1010355Medium.jpg

P1010357Medium.jpg

JF2381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome rockscape.

How long did it take for the rics to fill that spot so nicely? That looks great.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovin that ricordea rock!

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome rockscape.

How long did it take for the rics to fill that spot so nicely? That looks great.

Hi JF, not too long. I started with about three of each kind (Making about 10-12). Truth be told, it was when I started feeding them when they exploded in growth. Took a couple months after feeding them directly.

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The future

So after I finish the Bryopsis treatment (The last maintenance to do thingie) I'm going to finish up coral placement. I am pretty sure I have enough corals in the tank (ie I can't fit anymore).

My main focus is the center rock. It has quite a bit of room and most of the sps frags I got from Mr.Coral will be going there. Right now there is a frag of hornets there, but they aren't doing well... like most of my zoos in the tank. I'm probably going to sell them off or trade them out.

I'll have the sps frags going into open and high spots in the tank. I'm just waiting to see if they do well before I mount them onto the rocks. So far so good, the polyps are out and I do make it a point to target feed them. With the addition of lights (My ballast finally showed up), they should start coloring up soon.

I'm still debating about getting a controller for the tank. It I got one it would be the Apex Jr. My problem is the famous quote, if it ain't broken don't fix it. The real reason for getting it would be the internet connection and warning messages.

Aside from that, not much will be going on with the tank. Just let the corals grow. :)

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A video!

So I just recently did a major clean up of the tank, after about two hard months of neglect. What I appreciate most about my tank is that it handles this pretty well. The one year old eats a lot of my time and energy!

Here's the video: Sorry about the lighting I am camera stupid.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back