OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen to mine recently as well after a couple years with good growth. Elegance corals can just bail sometimes. Chances are it's just going to wither and die. Mine has been in my refugium for over 2 months just sits open on the bottom but has slowly decreased in size. I'm pulling and tossing it this weekend.
Well, thanks for your add-on. Stinks so much I didn't know this before and I bought it as a gift for my dad and now he's bummed. It's sitting in a basket on the top of my tank and doing great super open and fluffy but I'm prepared for it to shrink with no protection. Q: Do you feed the one in the refugium?

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for all... Do large elegances do better? Like if I were to find a big one a few inches + across would I have a better chance? Just wondering cuz this was my fathers holy coral that he checked every day and I want to replace it in time for him, with the condition that this wont happen again.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thanks for your add-on. Stinks so much I didn't know this before and I bought it as a gift for my dad and now he's bummed. It's sitting in a basket on the top of my tank and doing great super open and fluffy but I'm prepared for it to shrink with no protection. Q: Do you feed the one in the refugium?
No I do not but its under plenty of light. I personally would never recommend feeding a stressed coral.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for all... Do large elegances do better? Like if I were to find a big one a few inches + across would I have a better chance? Just wondering cuz this was my fathers holy coral that he checked every day and I want to replace it in time for him, with the condition that this wont happen again.
I bought one small and it has really grown just over 2 months. I have had some over a year that grew slow. I sold those back to shop or to someone else.

Elegances for me like direct light. Low to medium flow and no detritus.

Almost all will go through an initial "ugly" stage that appears to be them adjusting. They will shrink in, lose all tentacles and swell like a balloon. After a day or 2 to a few weeks depending how drastic it does, they will recover just fine.

I have just fed using indirect feeding with powder. I had more problems trying to directly feed with pieces.

I have a post in a thread of such an elegance where it recovered as well. They arent hard to take care of but just need a bit of understanding and watching detritus buildup. Great way to also know you need to clean the tank or around it lol.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to see if it will regrow a skeleton, you can remove and put into a cylindar container. Add an air pump with control valve and a cheap light. You will need to add a very small piece of live rock in for bacteria. No sand or substrate. Air pump will provide movement and oxygen exchange. Make sure you have a clear lid for evaporation control. Can even drill a hole to run tube. I recomend using benepets and just a micro amount lol. 100 percent water change weekly to every other week at least.

I wont say this will work for your situation as I havent dealt with one that let go of the skeleton, but this is how I have ran my tanks and elegances thrived.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one small and it has really grown just over 2 months. I have had some over a year that grew slow. I sold those back to shop or to someone else.

Elegances for me like direct light. Low to medium flow and no detritus.

Almost all will go through an initial "ugly" stage that appears to be them adjusting. They will shrink in, lose all tentacles and swell like a balloon. After a day or 2 to a few weeks depending how drastic it does, they will recover just fine.

I have just fed using indirect feeding with powder. I had more problems trying to directly feed with pieces.

I have a post in a thread of such an elegance where it recovered as well. They arent hard to take care of but just need a bit of understanding and watching detritus buildup. Great way to also know you need to clean the tank or around it lol.
Recovered from what? It completely peeling off its Skelton?

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lps have been recorded but few with pwople stating from lobo and acan to torches have regrown after bailout.

While not a bail out, you can see my post in tge thread sshowing recovery. Although yours is different.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back