Elegance coral

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lighting and flow did you have on it? Any fish picking at it?

OP
OP
P

PowerLineman01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DarthSimon i greatly appreciate you trying to help. I don’t want buy one too soon only for it to suffer the same fate. It has been about a month since my other one completely died off so maybe I will wait one more.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been able to keep elegances successfully. Unfortunetly sheen I downsized my tank I had to remove my elegance and a few others. I lost many along the way. What I learned is they dont like to be in a shadowed area. Nice flow that moves the tips arond and most important is to have as little detritus as possible. They dislike detritus very much. I knew it would ve time for a water change when it started to retrack the tips and bubble and balloon up. They also go into a rough stage in a new system at times. They will look like they are going to die and keep closed up. After a week or a few they will be normal and heal. I have had one loose all its tentacles only to eventually regrow back. Shading also causes them to retract. I lost a couple also do to gall crabs. Nasty little boogers lol. This things are easier to keep than most people think. Patients is key.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been able to keep elegances successfully. Unfortunetly sheen I downsized my tank I had to remove my elegance and a few others. I lost many along the way. What I learned is they dont like to be in a shadowed area. Nice flow that moves the tips arond and most important is to have as little detritus as possible. They dislike detritus very much. I knew it would ve time for a water change when it started to retrack the tips and bubble and balloon up. They also go into a rough stage in a new system at times. They will look like they are going to die and keep closed up. After a week or a few they will be normal and heal. I have had one loose all its tentacles only to eventually regrow back. Shading also causes them to retract. I lost a couple also do to gall crabs. Nasty little boogers lol. This things are easier to keep than most people think. Patients is key.

Patience won’t heal an elegance suffering from ECS, I believe. In fact, it appears we don’t understand enough about disease to stop it at all. Like BJD, it’s reportedly highly contagious. Indonesian species are known to spread ECS to those from regions less known for ECS (Australia).

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience won’t heal an elegance suffering from ECS, I believe. In fact, it appears we don’t understand enough about disease to stop it at all. Like BJD, it’s reportedly highly contagious. Indonesian species are known to spread ECS to those from regions less known for ECS (Australia).
While I believe corals can get ECS, and had spent a year or 2 researching as well as experiencing it myself. I think people get it confused with miss understanding the care for it. If the tanks has issues such as alot of detritus, no direct lighting, or improper flow, It will die off. I am not sure where ill my images went as I have posted in different sites. But here is some with ecd. This first pic is of an elegance which had ECD. Tips falling off, white sticking mucus like threading that binds the coral up. Puffy and tentacles retracted and starting to now shrivel up.
Screenshots_2021-09-05-07-28-38.png

Same coral after time. Slightly shaded.
Screenshots_2021-09-05-07-38-36.png

Again, coral direct light after moving it. I also had trimmed the base if the coral down a bit so the large disk would rest on glass more. Same one within final pic that is on my profile pic.
20210905_074045.jpg

I had 3 at one point. All were doing this at different points. Each one happened when shadowed or detritus was bad as flow was never an issue.
Screenshots_2021-09-05-07-31-37.png
Screenshots_2021-09-05-07-33-00.png

I lost the blue elegance coral do to leaving in the shade. It did the exact same things. The other 2 lived fine. I gave one to a friend when I got a different tank and the last one traded in when I downsized my tank again. I am currently looking for an elegance frag that is small.

It took me about 5 other elegances before thess, so 8 in total, and lost all but last 2. 1 of those 8 also had gall crabs that it died from.

I had the eureka moment for detritus when a guy I know who kept many various elegances I was talking with. He already knew about detritus and we were discussing ECD do to the bubbling issue as well as ballooning, the sticky mucus like thread, the loss of tips and inflating of the entire polyp as well as complete retraction of the coral I had. During the conversation He said that one of his elegances wasnt doing well. When he went to inspect inside the pvc he had it sitting on was filled with detritus. After removing the detritus, the coral returned to normal. He kept his without shading and proper flow.
While there is ECD, I dont believe it is irreversible. I also dont think it is as wide spread in the hobby as people think. I believe it is caused by underlying conditions such as infection, parasites or water issues. This is why it looks like its spreading in a tank. Something with the water isnt correct and they are all effected. Why the guys only had 1 coral effected and not others was do to the pvc containing it and coral acting like a cap sitting on top containing most of it.

I also would notice the entire disk(polyp) I flate after water changes sometimes and return to normal hours to a day later.

I apologize for such a long post. But there is alot more information. I wish I could find the pics I did of the coral showing The ECD effects and then the recovery but images above seemed to do that a bit. Shile time isnt the all cure, it is what is needed after you can figure out the underlying problem in most cases.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never heard of ecs. But I did have brown jelly in hammers.
I lost a few hammers but not then all. I would also take them out right away , if a colony I would cut as much off as possible.
I believe brown jelly is a bacteria caused by water conditions some but not really sure
I know it happens more in wild hammers that just been imported than ones that been in tanks for years. But once again who knows
I would wait 2-3 months.
My experience with elegance corals

I always started that off is med flow and about 100 par I had mine for about 3 years and it’s currently under 200 par. It does get nice flow which keep it clear of detritus. I do have a big sponge growing on its base which I want to remove but it doesn’t seem to be causing any harm and I am too lazy to pull it abs clean it lol

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never heard of ecs. But I did have brown jelly in hammers.
I lost a few hammers but not then all. I would also take them out right away , if a colony I would cut as much off as possible.
I believe brown jelly is a bacteria caused by water conditions some but not really sure
I know it happens more in wild hammers that just been imported than ones that been in tanks for years. But once again who knows
I would wait 2-3 months.
My experience with elegance corals

I always started that off is med flow and about 100 par I had mine for about 3 years and it’s currently under 200 par. It does get nice flow which keep it clear of detritus. I do have a big sponge growing on its base which I want to remove but it doesn’t seem to be causing any harm and I am too lazy to pull it abs clean it lol
I have had that issue and lost my really nice torches and hammer. Same thing not the right conditions by being to laxed on maintenance. I had some type of pink ball like sponge growing in mine. I removed it to keep when I turned in for store credit. If sponge isnt growing over disk I wouldnt worry.

Awsome with your elegance doing well. So you have it shaded or in the open under the 200 par?

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not shaded Its in the middle of a 265 tank on the bottom of a 30 inch tall tank with 2 g5 over it at 75 percent
I
Only corals I would shade are scoly, Tracy, meat corals
I feel most others can get used to higher par if intruded slowly

I have a 7 foot tank with 2 braces

so I have 1 light each in the first and 3 hole and 2 in the middle. So obviously the middle get more par than the corners

I normally start new corals in the corners. 2-4 months later I might move them to higher par.
this elegance did start off in the corner Then after 4 months I moved it to the middle of the tank under shade of a braching rock structure, so not full shade and a few weeks later full blast

I think these and hammers sometimes don’t get enough flow causing issues later on.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not shaded Its in the middle of a 265 tank on the bottom of a 30 inch tall tank with 2 g5 over it at 75 percent
I
Only corals I would shade are scoly, Tracy, meat corals
I feel most others can get used to higher par if intruded slowly

I have a 7 foot tank with 2 braces

so I have 1 light each in the first and 3 hole and 2 in the middle. So obviously the middle get more par than the corners

I normally start new corals in the corners. 2-4 months later I might move them to higher par.
this elegance did start off in the corner Then after 4 months I moved it to the middle of the tank under shade of a braching rock structure, so not full shade and a few weeks later full blast

I think these and hammers sometimes don’t get enough flow causing issues later on.
Awsome, I have to agree as well with flow. In struggling with a frogspawn. Hopefully lineman can get it healthy again. Its not easy though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back