EMERGENCY but don’t prefix it!!!!

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity keeps dropping. 2 month old tank. Not sure why it just keeps lowering. I calibrate refractometers before and keeps going lower

I had 1.023 and now today 1.021/.20 not sure what’s going on. No skimmer. ATO is obviously off because I’m not going to stop off with RODI .

Truly so confused. Using to different refractometers

Please help!!

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide some photos of the tank? I would give a thorough examination of the surrounding areas... Is there any creep anywhere?

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide some photos of the tank? I would give a thorough examination of the surrounding areas... Is there any creep anywhere?
No creep at all I’ve examined everything and I think both my refractormeters are fresh. I let my faucet drip onto the reader for both and had to calibrate because it was different and then checked and my salinity from yesterday is higher now which would coincide with yesterday being a tad bit lower and I know, ATO off and evaporation and then salinity rises would account for this…..

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using your faucet drip to calibrate?

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use the faucet. Use RO water to calibrate, your faucet will not give you accurate results to gauge against.
Similar to how buildup happens in our RO And we need to flush it, when you leave it off and open it up it has all the gunk that is settling in the end.

Are you sure your RO is at zero? Do you have a TDS monitor?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity keeps dropping. 2 month old tank. Not sure why it just keeps lowering. I calibrate refractometers before and keeps going lower

I had 1.023 and now today 1.021/.20 not sure what’s going on. No skimmer. ATO is obviously off because I’m not going to stop off with RODI .

Truly so confused. Using to different refractometers

Please help!!
How are you calibrating your refractometer?

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use the faucet. Use RO water to calibrate, your faucet will not give you accurate results to gauge against.
Similar to how buildup happens in our RO And we need to flush it, when you leave it off and open it up it has all the gunk that is settling in the end.

Are you sure your RO is at zero? Do you have a TDS monitor?
Yes I do and yeah! Let me double check

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time you buy something at your LFS, ask them what they keep their salinity at and test it to yours when you get home. Or have them test your refracto meter.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your RO is reading zero, do as @exnisstech says and follow Randys calibration fluid recipe.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rodi water
Might be worth calibrating with a 35 ppt standard so that you know that the instrument “knows” how to read 35 ppt. I am not a fan of calibrating any instrument so far from the actual measurement, especially zero.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it is simple test error, there is no way salinity appreciably drops unless you remove some salt water from the tank, or top it off with fresh water to a higher level.

Are you doing water changes, and if so, are you matching the salinity to the aquarium?

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it is simple test error, there is no way salinity appreciably drops unless you remove some salt water from the tank, or top it off with fresh water to a higher level.

Are you doing water changes, and if so, are you matching the salinity to the aquarium?
Yeah matching it all.

So I have an extra ato and I’m topping off with saltwater till it rises anddddd I bough a 35ppt solution to calibrate both refractometers

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back