Emergency what happened to my hand

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started working at an LFS with a 350 gallon reef display. I was scraping algae prior to a water change and hit my finger on the rock, drawing blood. Since then my finger has been slowly increasing and decreasing in pain which is kind of just dull and achey, but then when it gets wet when washing my hands it Burns without soap or anything. There’s some zoas and plays, GSP, bristleworms, and a foxface which are all things I’m concerned about. Idk what else is in the tank. It’s been several hours now and the pain has plateaued and stayed consistent now for a while and I’m worried. Is this palytoxin? Is there something stuck in there? Did the foxface get me when I couldn’t see? I’m fairly sure what I hit was the rock, it felt firm and didn’t move so I don’t think it was the foxface but my mind is running. Unfortunately I don’t have any photos of the tank but I can get some tomorrow if this is still an issue

7D8B494A-BBBD-4A59-BE28-B76675D3300A.jpeg B0C709BC-FDD7-464E-A462-219CA4150268.jpeg FBD5F8A0-99D4-43E5-95E8-AAC2C48A7009.jpeg 23EB248F-D94F-4806-B054-04E8261D51DB.jpeg 4EBF15D5-9117-4DCC-878A-0AD041A73703.jpeg

djs4him

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started working at an LFS with a 350 gallon reef display. I was scraping algae prior to a water change and hit my finger on the rock, drawing blood. Since then my finger has been slowly increasing and decreasing in pain which is kind of just dull and achey, but then when it gets wet when washing my hands it Burns without soap or anything. There’s some zoas and plays, GSP, bristleworms, and a foxface which are all things I’m concerned about. Idk what else is in the tank. It’s been several hours now and the pain has plateaued and stayed consistent now for a while and I’m worried. Is this palytoxin? Is there something stuck in there? Did the foxface get me when I couldn’t see? I’m fairly sure what I hit was the rock, it felt firm and didn’t move so I don’t think it was the foxface but my mind is running. Unfortunately I don’t have any photos of the tank but I can get some tomorrow if this is still an issue

7D8B494A-BBBD-4A59-BE28-B76675D3300A.jpeg B0C709BC-FDD7-464E-A462-219CA4150268.jpeg FBD5F8A0-99D4-43E5-95E8-AAC2C48A7009.jpeg 23EB248F-D94F-4806-B054-04E8261D51DB.jpeg 4EBF15D5-9117-4DCC-878A-0AD041A73703.jpeg
Soak it in hydrogen peroxide and you should be fine. Consult your doctor if you're still concerned about it.

OP
OP
F

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more photos I look at the more concerned I become. I can sort of psych myself into symptoms so the mild chest discomfort I’m feeling I think is more likely anxiety, but when I thought it was just a cut the burn concerned me. I’m not sure which part of the rock I hit but it was close to some palys (I think they’re palys, they’re on the larger end compared to zoas usually. They’re yellow and blue). If it is palytoxin what should I do?

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are asking a bunch of strangers who may or may not have any medical experience what you should do. I think if you are that concerned which it seems you are - your best bet would be to have someone with real medical experience look at it. And tell them what you weee doing.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a break in the skin on one knuckle and some redness and mild edema.

H2O2, wash with soap and water, topical antibiotics at this point.

If it gets more red or swollen get it looked at and be sure to tell them it was in a salt water tank.

As noted lots of bacteria they usually will cover vibrio species

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No advice you get here is a substitute for having a doctor evaluate you and give a medical opinion.
If you're worried now, then I doubt you will become any less anxious as the night wears on.
If you have access to an urgent care center, you can try going there. The alternative, obviously, is an ER.
Do understand that you will likely need to educate the medical staff about the various dangers you're worried about... Unless they are familiar with rabbitfish venom, palytoxin, etc, they will want to rule out other things, so you may need to be pushy and make them consider your concerns first.

That being said, it looks like you hit right on the knuckle. That can definitely cause pain, and the nerves might be irritated (kind of like hitting your funny bone) which could cause the burning sensation when you ran water over it.

How long ago did you get the cut? Have you taken anything for pain or taken an antihistamine?
Aside from the anxiety symptoms you describe in post #4, are you having any neurological symptoms (change in smell, taste, sensation)?

OP
OP
F

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I touched the palys directly or not. I have washed it several times, I’m currently on phone with poison control. Unfortunately I don’t have H2O2 but I do have Benadryl and Advil. I have my significant other with me. The cut happened about 7 hours ago now and the pain has stayed within the same ranges, occasionally increasing and decreasing. The other symptoms are going down it’s mainly the finger pain

OP
OP
F

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am rather cold but the apartment is pretty cold usually for the chinchilla, so hard to tell if there’s extra chills. Poison control is consulting someone else and calling me back. At this point I’m documenting this for myself and for others as well as looking for others experience. The finger feels colder against my others and is definitely tight on the knuckle when I make a fist

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I touched the palys directly or not. I have washed it several times, I’m currently on phone with poison control. Unfortunately I don’t have H2O2 but I do have Benadryl and Advil. I have my significant other with me. The cut happened about 7 hours ago now and the pain has stayed within the same ranges, occasionally increasing and decreasing. The other symptoms are going down it’s mainly the finger pain
H2O2 is not the best thing to use on cuts anyway. Washing with antibacterial soap or using alcohol, iodine, or betadine will help disinfect the area without further damaging the tissue.
Glad you have someone with you and that you've called the professionals.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

OP
OP
F

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, poison control said to watch for systemic symptoms and pus, neither of which I have. However, I am in significant pain today and can’t fully flex or extend the finger, and now there’s a spot in my wrist that’s in similar pain as well that’s in line with the finger.

Attachments

• 7FE6DA39-95D4-400E-B698-D910D1427F0C.jpeg
    7FE6DA39-95D4-400E-B698-D910D1427F0C.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 7C214E10-7EA1-46C2-9E02-A02B432367C0.jpeg
    7C214E10-7EA1-46C2-9E02-A02B432367C0.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, poison control said to watch for systemic symptoms and pus, neither of which I have. However, I am in significant pain today and can’t fully flex or extend the finger, and now there’s a spot in my wrist that’s in similar pain as well that’s in line with the finger.
So why haven’t you gone to see a doctor? You seem pretty bothered by this but are willing to just chill on it? I don’t understand people like you who are willing to just sit around and wait as things get worse instead of getting the attention they need. Poison control was never going to be much help in this scenario but I’m guessing you called them because it was easier than going to a doctor or er. Go get checked out you are being very stupid about this, I won’t sugar coat it. You should have done this last night or closer to when it happened.

Empti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Symptoms do seem somewhat psychosomatic (brains convincing yourself you have them). Stop googling about it and just leave it alone, its most likely either a slight infection from an open wound caused in bacteria laden water or even just a bristle worm spike (most likely in my opinion). The fact your spot in your wrist with similar pain is likely either psychosomatic if you've read about mycobacterium marinum and convinced yourself you might have it, or you could just have inflammation within the extensor tendon which runs along where the initial lesion is. Either way it doesn't seem that bad but if your that concerned, like everyone has said, just go see a dang doctor.

Goby Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why haven’t you gone to see a doctor? You seem pretty bothered by this but are willing to just chill on it? I don’t understand people like you who are willing to just sit around and wait as things get worse instead of getting the attention they need. Poison control was never going to be much help in this scenario but I’m guessing you called them because it was easier than going to a doctor or er. Go get checked out you are being very stupid about this, I won’t sugar coat it. You should have done this last night or closer to when it happened.
I agree. Get to urgent care today.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 118 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 94 34.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back