Extreme Water Clarity and Cyano Eradication, Made Easy!

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works fairly well here too. I give my bottle a good shake and just give it a good hard squeeze. I don’t measure anymore given the comments here about low risk of OD’ing. Hard to say what gets removed from the skimmer or filter floss.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
1 tsp of calcium carbonate in a 125. Seems to work good at clearing up the water for sure. I've heard mixed reports about vermetids - mine don't disappear but they do seem to get less noticeable.
IMG_20230511_140320197.jpg

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1 tsp of calcium carbonate in a 125. Seems to work good at clearing up the water for sure. I've heard mixed reports about vermetids - mine don't disappear but they do seem to get less noticeable.
IMG_20230511_140320197.jpg

Reef Builders is using a TON more for vermetid control...

"The formula for calcium carbonate that I use for this treatment is 2 tablespoons of calcium carbonate per liter of tank water"

how-to-get-rid-of-vermetid-snails

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

"The formula for calcium carbonate that I use for this treatment is 2 tablespoons of calcium carbonate per liter of tank water"

2 tablespoons in a 500 gallon tank - 6 teaspoons. He does half of that twice a day so 3 teaspoons in a 500 gallon tank which is 1 teaspoon for 166 gallons so I actually used more but only once a week instead of twice a day.

Edit: my math is off somewhat, not sure what I did. They used 1 teaspoon per 84ish gallons, I used 1 teaspoon per 125.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ill most likely be doing this in the near future as my vermited population keeps adding up.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2 tablespoons in a 500 gallon tank - 6 teaspoons. He does half of that twice a day so 3 teaspoons in a 500 gallon tank which is 1 teaspoon for 166 gallons so I actually used more but only once a week instead of twice a day.

Edit: my math is off somewhat, not sure what I did. They used 1 teaspoon per 84ish gallons, I used 1 teaspoon per 125.

Per ReefBuilders, "The formula for calcium carbonate that I use for this treatment is 2 tablespoons of calcium carbonate per liter of tank water"

100 gallons of water = 378.54 liters.

378.54 x 2 tablespoons per liter = 757.08 tablespoons of Calcium Carbonate. Thats a lot of CC. lol

[edit] removed miscalculation

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per ReefBuilders, "The formula for calcium carbonate that I use for this treatment is 2 tablespoons of calcium carbonate per liter of tank water"

378.54 x 2 tablespoons per liter = 757.08 tablespoons of Calcium Carbonate.

1 gallon = 768 teaspoons.

So, they are suggesting almost a 1:100 ratio. ~1 gallon of Calcium Carbonate in 100 gallons of tank water.

I have to be misinterpreting their recipe.
If I remember correctly they were making a paste and putting it in the webs of the snails. If so that would make sense.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I remember correctly they were making a paste and putting it in the webs of the snails. If so that would make sense.
My math was wrong earlier and now corrected in that post. ;-)

They do mention basting onto the nets. However, in my tank those little fellows are in places you cannot get to with a turkey baster. I think that is probably the case in most all of our tanks with vermetids.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My math was wrong earlier and now corrected in that post. ;-)

They do mention basting onto the nets. However, in my tank those little fellows are in places you cannot get to with a turkey baster. I think that is probably the case in most all of our tanks with vermetids.
Yeah I never had a problem with them in the past… currently I have outbreak of these boogers and I spend a hour every couple days smashing them lol..

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does smashing them really kill them. Im skeptical. They keep popping up in my tank.
I use needle nose pliers and turn the entire thing to mush so I’d say yes.. I’ve heard jabbing a tooth pick in the holes works also but I feel it should hide in the spiral..

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

378.54 x 2 tablespoons per liter = 757.08 tablespoons of Calcium Carbonate. Thats a lot of CC. lol

[edit] removed miscalculation
However, in context:
  • "The formula for calcium carbonate that I use for this treatment is 2 tbsp to 1 liter of tank water and then dose half of that twice a day."
They're mixing 2 tbsp into one liter of tank water and dosing half of that into the tank twice a day. They're not dosing 2 tbsp of calcium carbonate per liter of tank water. Also, as mentioned above they are "target feeding" this mixture directly into the vermetids.

I'm not trying to cause a stink I'm just making sure false information isn't being portrayed. They state they have a 500 gallon tank. They're not dumping 1,892.7 tablespoons of calcium carbonate into their tank every day for 2 weeks.

Edit: corrected my calculation.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use needle nose pliers and turn the entire thing to mush so I’d say yes.. I’ve heard jabbing a tooth pick in the holes works also but I feel it should hide in the spiral..
Ive been pulling my colonies out and doing it that way but to hard to do in the tank. Ive been using a screwdriver.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
However, in context:
  • "The formula for calcium carbonate that I use for this treatment is 2 tbsp to 1 liter of tank water and then dose half of that twice a day."
They're mixing 2 tbsp into one liter of tank water and dosing half of that into the tank twice a day. They're not dosing 2 tbsp of calcium carbonate per liter of tank water. Also, as mentioned above they are "target feeding" this mixture directly into the vermetids.

I'm not trying to cause a stink I'm just making sure false information isn't being portrayed. They state they have a 500 gallon tank. They're not dumping 1,892.7 tablespoons of calcium carbonate into their tank every day for 2 weeks.

Edit: corrected my calculation.
For me, I think the confusion is why they would even say "tank water"; that sounds like a ratio to the DT water. I use RODI and it works just fine.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For me, I think the confusion is why they would even say "tank water"; that sounds like a ratio to the DT water. I use RODI and it works just fine.
I think that's probably in response to the people that say you have to mix it with DI water. DI probably isn't necessary if you're dumping it into the tank anyway. Same with broadcast feeding I would imagine. I tend to use tank water for anything I'm dumping in the tank that doesn't require it being completely dissolved. RODI is great to use but sometimes it's unnecessary.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think that's probably in response to the people that say you have to mix it with DI water. DI probably isn't necessary if you're dumping it into the tank anyway. Same with broadcast feeding I would imagine. I tend to use tank water for anything I'm dumping in the tank that doesn't require it being completely dissolved. RODI is great to use but sometimes it's unnecessary.
I use DI water if I want to keep it on the shelf for a bit.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use DI water if I want to keep it on the shelf for a bit.
Yeah. This stuff is easy enough. I use 1 teaspoon so I get a small container, add some tank water, add a teaspoon of Calcium Carbonate, shake well, let it sit for a few minutes just to hydrate a little more, and dump in the tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I think adding calcium carbonate particles to a reef tank is a fine plan to accomplish certain goals, folks should realize there are effects that go beyond those that are desired.

All of the fresh calcium carbonate surface area will act as seed crystals for precipitation of calcium and magnesium carbonate. You won't be able to readily detect the magnesium drop, and calcium too may be harder after just one addition, but alk dropping may be significant, especially in high alk, high pH aquaria.

It is also likely that trace elements are being depleted faster this way, either by already being bound by organics that then bind to the CaCO3 surfaces, or that bind directly tot eh CaCO3 surfaces and are incorporated into precipitating calcium carbonate (in the same way coral skeletons incorporate many ions from the water).

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
While I think adding calcium carbonate particles to a reef tank is a fine plan to accomplish certain goals, folks should realize there are effects that go beyond those that are desired.

All of the fresh calcium carbonate surface area will act as seed crystals for precipitation of calcium and magnesium carbonate. You won't be able to readily detect the magnesium drop, and calcium too may be harder after just one addition, but alk dropping may be significant, especially in high alk, high pH aquaria.

It is also likely that trace elements are being depleted faster this way, either by already being bound by organics that then bind to the CaCO3 surfaces, or that bind directly tot eh CaCO3 surfaces and are incorporated into precipitating calcium carbonate (in the same way coral skeletons incorporate many ions from the water).
Thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley ! I have seen the alk drop mentioned and have even warned several other members here that it may occur. Great information!

Back