Fallow to March 26, 2017

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Valkyrie Do you shine a white light either directly overhead or behind the ammonia alert badge before viewing it? IME; that little trick makes a world of difference.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Valkyrie Do you shine a white light either directly overhead or behind the ammonia alert badge before viewing it? IME; that little trick makes a world of difference.

Yes! This saved me more than a few times.

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Belly, the clown fish, is doing much better. He even chased after and ate some frozen mysis. I am not going to treat the two clowns with copper right now. Dr. Tim's nitrifying bacteria arrived today so I dosed both tanks with it. The ammonia test should be here tomorrow. Maybe I should just see if either of them get spots before I treat. I'm not at all thrilled about all this drama.

It was kind of touching, Maleficent, the maroon clown is typically a little snot to Belly. I'm pretty sure Belly is also a maroon, just not as dark. Anyway, she's nipped at him in the past and chased him off often. But when he was recovering she stayed close to him. I was afraid she was going to attack him in his weakened state, but she didn't. She even looked like she was holding him up. Last night when I went to bed, he was on his side again. About 4am this morning Maleficent was holding him up. She'd swim away a little and just as he'd start to tip over she'd snuggle back up to him. Then just before I left for work around 8:30am he was holding himself up and she was still staying close. It's been really heartwarming to see the little brat be so sweet to Belly.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really hard to keep going and it's only been a week.

Keep your chin up! You are doing more than a lot of reefers would/could. You are doing your best and that's all anybody can ask of you. Just don't give up :)

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so tired. Exhausted. Every night after 12 hours on my feet I have spent at least an hour taking care of my fin friends. It's worth it, I'm not complaining. Oh okay, I'm complaining, but just a little. :oops:

Watched Belly and Maleficent eat some pellets. I can't hardly believe that they're friends now. They're going to go into the 29 in March and I sure hope this friendship sticks. There's a rose bta in there that is lonely for some clowns, maybe they'll adopt each other. ;)

So Dante, the scopas, I'm so worried but I have no idea what to do or why he is having trouble swimming. Upside down, nose down, side down, with a little effort on his part he'll swim upright. What is wrong with him? Why is he doing this? How can I help him? Is it the copper? Is it something else? Voodoo and Tecumseh don't seem to be having any problems. They're both eating, too. I don't think Dante is eating anymore, though. Is it his swim bladder, can I fix it?
He's not very photogenic, but this is his nose down posture.
dante swimming wrong.jpg

Most of my Amazon stuff has come in. Finally got my Burgess Atlas. Love that tome! :D More thermometers, heaters and another pump for a second Brute to hold saltwater. I'm pretty sure my husband thinks I've lost it.

I noticed on a lot of videos people using the little plastic condiment cups to mix their fish foods in and I thought about getting some so that I could return some of my ramekins to the kitchen. Geez, it seems like I'm always commandeering my kitchen utensils and measuring tools for the fish or my pottery. Anyway, I found something I liked better than the condiment cups. They won't wear out, they come in a pack of a dozen and they cost less than $7. I can use my dremel to engrave on them if I need to and they're easier to clean than plastic.
Stainless steel condiment cups.
Cool, eh?
stainless steel.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think Dante is eating anymore, though. Is it his swim bladder, can I fix it?

You can try to put him in a non medicated HT and see if he perks up. It could be the copper :(

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dante is gone.

This is my fault for not trusting my own darn instincts. Last night I thought, "I should get him out of there, this is not good." followed by, "I'm probably over-reacting."
Over exhaustion and ignorance killed my scopas. Dang it!
I typically curse like a sailor but I'm respecting the forum rules, so....
rainbowunicornbutterflykitten.jpg

Ok, so the learning curve sucks. Both for the fish and for me. I need to trust myself and my fish need me to trust myself. Now that there are 2 clowns, a naso tang and a blenny, I'm wondering if I should reduce down to one 20 instead of 2. I'm also wondering if I'm doing the right thing treating these fish instead of just letting the two DTs go fallow while the fish live in the 20s. Watching as if they were new acquisitions and treat if they break with something.
I can't trust my instincts on this because I'm in a, not a panic mode, if it were I wouldn't be here right now. I would like to say I'm in a nervous, scared and highly concerned mode and I'm terribly conflicted. I started this adventure with 7 fish and I'm down to 4 in less than 2 weeks.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this. :(

Are all your other fish eating & acting normally in copper? What level is it currently at?

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this. :(

Are all your other fish eating & acting normally in copper? What level is it currently at?

The naso tang appears to be doing great, although I just saw him poo and I don't know if fish get diarrhea, but that's what it looked like to me. Normal or abnormal? He eats, not a lot, but I've watched him eat a few pellets every time I have fed him.

The blenny is a tough read because he's always been so shy. If I step back from the tank he'll eat, though.

They are about 1.5 to 1.75ppm copper. Not quite matching the 2.0 color. I'm going to order the Chemetrics, I was just waiting for payday.

The two clowns have not been re-dosed with copper after I did the 50% water change. I've watched them eat and they get excited when they see the turkey baster, Belly attacks it if I don't feed him fast enough. Otherwise, they are pretty quiet and not super active.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like maybe things are stabilizing. FWIW; tangs have some of the nastiest poops I've ever seen. I wouldn't be concerned over a little diarrhea. ;)

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made a decision for after Voodoo and Tecumseh finish their copper treatments. I'll change out their water over a few days and move the clowns in with them. They'll only have to be together for another month after that, so I'm pretty sure I can keep the tank clean enough for all 4 fish. I'm going to set up the other 20 for a pair of maroon lightning clowns. I'm on the waiting list and they will come available about then. I have a 10 gallon that I'll use for their quarantine tank. I think I've become extremely infatuated with clowns and to think how much I fought off the idea of having any as I thought that they were just "so cliche'". :cool:

I can't sleep tonight...so instead, I obsess. o_O

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Valkyrie I feel your pain. I would often buy sick fish from a LFS while en route from a trip, and it would be 11pm or later before I would get back home. So, I'd be up until 1 or 2 in the morning doing dips, baths and setting up the QT. Sometimes the fish was still alive when I got up in the morning, sometimes not. o_O

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 20% water change on the coppered tank. The naso tang started doing something weird today. He keeps backing up into the air stone bubbles. He just backs up and wiggles his tail in the bubbles.
???
Voodoo backs up.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 20% water change on the coppered tank. The naso tang started doing something weird today. He keeps backing up into the air stone bubbles. He just backs up and wiggles his tail in the bubbles.
???
Voodoo backs up.jpg

Naso's are so weird and funny! I'm not sure why he's doing that except maybe he's constipated or something and trying for an enema.... not likely.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back