Fallow to March 26, 2017

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only petstores still open are big box and I called them both. Neither have any methylene blue or medications that have it as an ingredient. Nuts.

All you can do at this point is keep him comfortable, I'm afraid to say. :(

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only petstores still open are big box and I called them both. Neither have any methylene blue or medications that have it as an ingredient. Nuts.

Dang. If he's still with us tomorrow, it would be worth trying then. Best of luck with him :)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably shouldn't get my hopes up, but Voodoo is doing ok. He's managed to get himself upright. Gosh, I love that stupid fish. I'm gonna cry if he dies.

**Cautiously Optomistic**

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happily the 2 clowns and the blenny are fine. Eating and full of attitude. Let's see if I can keep them alive. Barring any disease, they should be ok. I leave for Florida in 10 days and I'll be relying on my husband to take care of and observe them for the week I'm gone. I spent this last weekend going over my feeding routine for both fallow tanks and the fish. I just hope he doesn't forget to feed my betta, Monet.

Last night I finally saw my peppermint shrimp. I hadn't seen Sandy Claws for the past 2 weeks. I was getting worried that Delores, the purple condylactis, had trapped him in the hole she moved into about a week and half ago. But, he came shuffling out from behind the rocks when the mysis started falling from the sky. Why do they move like dottering old men? LOL

There was no reason to keep Tecumseh separate from the clowns, they all came from the 55g, so all 3 are in the same tank now. I'll clean out the other 20g, let it dry and then get it ready for the lightning clowns that should be coming in a little less than a month. Which reminds me, I need to get some of the other medications to have on hand. Now that I've lost most of my livestock, I'll be needing to run the QTs for 2 or 3 months to get the tanks repopulated. I can't even think of what I'm going to put in the 55g other than my husband wants his pair of clarkiis. It's just too soon for me to even think about it. I'll figure it out around the end of February.

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
58 days to go! :eek:

It's getting close to gardening season, too. The seed catalogs are arriving and a friend and I are planning a day trip to Port Townsend to visit my favorite nursery, Far Reaches Farm. Really cool place and I know my friend is going to love it.

I think that's why I like taking care of corals and anemones so much, it's like gardening underwater. You can make it as interesting and as unusual as you want, as long as you're willing to make the effort to care for the more exotic specimens and those with "special needs". Just today I realized that reason one of my husband's corals is dying is because it's non- photosynthetic. So I immediately fed them some Reef-roids that I had ordered from Amazon a week or so ago. I guess something in me knew I would need it! I've lost my tiny bird's nest coral, too. I think it got knocked over way too many times by the Steves, aka the bulldozing turbo snails. Makes me sad because that tiny thing had some real potential to be beautiful. No fancy colors, just a plain jane beige bird's nest. Now it's just a calcium twig. All the other corals are thriving at least but I still I feel terrible that I keep learning everything the hard way and other living things pay for my ignorance. They didn't ask to try living on my learning curve. I'm vowing to be more careful when purchasing corals and make sure I understand and can meet their needs.

I'm super please with how my 3 remaining fish are doing in QT. Maleficent is her usual feisty self, bullying poor Belly when he gets too close. So odd that she took care of him while he was sick, always sticking close, holding him up when he needed it and now she's being a snot to him again. Belly lives up to his name still, as soon as he sees the pipette of mysis he's all over it! He'll grab the pipette if I don't squeeze out some mysis quick enough!! I try to direct feed the clowns so that Maleficent will stay on her side of the tank. Seems to work ok. Tecumseh is being his typical adorable self. What is it about these crazy, charming starry blennies? Their sweet little flowery"horns" and comedic looks just give me the giggles. He reminds me of The Lorax, yea, the little dude from Dr. Seuss.

I thought this fallow time was going to be so boring! But I'm always finding new inhabitants in the 55g and taking care of all the inverts in the 29g keeps things interesting. I'm amazed by how much my stomatella population has grown, holy cow. From the looks of all the eggs I have on the back of the tank, there will be many more. 2 months ago I had 2 or 3 of them, now I count at least 5. The copepod population is exploding as well.

Sorry to be such a rambler, but I'm trying to post daily (failing, but still trying!!) and often I just type as my mind wanders. :D

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. Not much to report. Still rolling along the fallow line. The 3 amigos are doing fine. Oddly enough, this morning when I turned on the blues Tecumseh & Belly were snuggled up together. What a strange sight to behold.

Emptied the other 20g. Cleaned up all the equipment. Just need to take a few minutes to clean the tank itself. I'm not going to have time to set it up before I leave early-squirrely Friday morning. I work my regular schedule all week and will need to spend that 1.5 hr after I get home: feeding the tanks, corals, anemones, and fish, making sure I pack everything I'll need. Oh yea, and my 13 year old Cairn Terrier had one of her front legs amputated this past Wednesday so she needs extra attention (meds, checking the surgical site, etc.) I have to make my husband a list of instructions on feeding my 5g freshwater tank with my betta, cory cat and snails, and taking care of my bunny. I think he's got the saltwater tanks down, but I still might leave an outline for him.

I almost have the 20g set up for the lightning clowns. Just waiting on the light & powerhead to be delivered. Debating on whether or not I want to go ahead and fill it tomorrow that way the cycle can start. I'm just not sure I should do that and then not be able to touch it for 2 weeks. Maybe that's not such a bad thing?

I'm in love with acans! I used to think that it was scolys I liked, but after I killed one in less than a week they kind of lost their charm. I'm still not sure how I did that!

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish the clowns and blenny didn't look so bored! How about some fish enrichment ideas? They need something to do!

Having a struggle with Kh in the 55g. It takes nothing for it drop. There's not even any corals in there! All the corals are in the 29g! Live rock & sand, snails, an anemone, and a brittle star. So I've been reading up on and watching videos about kalkwasser. I don't know if that's the answer.

I'm also having a bubble algae explosion in the 55. Not happy about that at all. Finally got down and really looked my refugium over. I had green algae floating on top with...RED! algae. Curses! Is this why the chaeto dissolves?

I don't know, I'm feeling pretty darn overwhelmed. I get the distinct impression that every night after the day of lectures is finished next week I'll be in my room, ordering room service and studying water chemistry, among other things reef related.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish the clowns and blenny didn't look so bored! How about some fish enrichment ideas? They need something to do!

In QT, it's better to have bored fishies than fighting fishies. :D

I'm also having a bubble algae explosion in the 55. Not happy about that at all. Finally got down and really looked my refugium over. I had green algae floating on top with...RED! algae. Curses! Is this why the chaeto dissolves?

The red & bubble algae are probably using up all the nutrients the chaeto needs to live and grow.

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
42 days left.

Just got back from Orlando Thursday night. In the week that I was gone the 55g is overgrown with hair & bubble algae. It's only going to get worse, I suspect. The 29g is doing fine, though the glass was covered with copepods. I know that's a good thing, but dang, it makes things ugly. Someone is going to be happy when they finally land in that tank.

Going to be doing water changes on the 3 tanks today, plus some set ups.

Although my husband did a good job while I was gone, he's not as detail oriented as I am, so little things escaped his notice. He forgot to replace the evaporated water in the 55g with RO instead of NaCl. Sadly, the fluctuation in salinity killed the brittle star. Everything else in there seems ok. The first thing I noticed in the QT was that my maroon clown was deceased. He said that she was fine that morning. She looked picked on, which is strange considering she was the bully. I have to wonder if Belly got tired of her crap and just went in for the kill. They were doing great when I left, sleeping in them same corner, sharing food and swimming together. The blenny looks fine, too.

Here's a few pics from my visit to Sea Life Aquarium in Orlando.

anemone3.jpg

multifish.jpg

ray4.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back