Fauna Marin Potassium test kit

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with this kit?

I have tested my tank water and have also done the calibration test and I can't get either to show the change to pink at 1ml of dosing of the titration solution

Here is a pic of the calibration solution with a dosing of 1ml. I should have gotten a reading of some sort way before that.

Fauna marin Potassium test picture.jpg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with this kit?

I have tested my tank water and have also done the calibration test and I can't get either to show the change to pink at 1ml of dosing of the titration solution

Here is a pic of the calibration solution with a dosing of 1ml. I should have gotten a reading of some sort way before that.

Fauna marin Potassium test picture.jpg
I have this test but I have not as yet actually run it. I have been using the reagents to work with @taricha test development using Hanna Checkers, so I really can not give any insight to why this is happening.

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested. I only have half a salifert kit left, and I see no indication they'll be available again soon. Seems the red sea kit has awful reviews.

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I just picked up this kit the other week and had to watch their YouTube video to get the steps down.

I was within 10ppm of the Salifert kit and ICP.

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Speaking of the Salifert kit..........over the years I had always noticed they became inaccurate after about 6 months to the point of being un-useable, so I'm don't mind it being gone.

Just looking for a replacement as I dose K on my new mixed IO.

I'm sure stocking issues will get better in a few months on the other brands. Right now all the Salifert users are scrambling for a replacement, so all brands seem to be out of stock.

At this point Fauna seems to be a bust to me, but I'll wait for more info to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong, but at this point it's been a waste of $40

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do the math and trust it, I guess? The test kits were so bad, you were likely trusting and guessing anyway. :) Just see if the folks on here can double check your math the first time.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you find it low?

Seems odd for any salt mix to not have NSW potassium since it is not expensive, and I've not seen reliable data suggesting an issue.

FWIW, I only used IO, never dosed any, and K was spot on by Triton ICOP, but that was a number of years ago.

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you find it low?

Seems odd for any salt mix to not have NSW potassium since it is not expensive, and I've not seen reliable data suggesting an issue.

FWIW, I only used IO, never dosed any, and K was spot on by Triton ICOP, but that was a number of years ago.
It is usually ~360 ppm in my tests using Salifert over the years, But here is an ICP low level and you can see it came back at 345. I like to keep my SPS reef at 400-420. So like Big E, I spike with Potassium Chloride

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is usually ~360 ppm in my tests using Salifert over the years, But here is an ICP low level and you can see it came back at 345. I like to keep my SPS reef at 400-420. So like Big E, I spike with Potassium Chloride

Do you find it low?

I've gotten 340-360 range with Salifert and confirmed by more than one ICP company for fresh mix IO. I've been spiking it for a few years now.

It doesn't deplete per my 10% weekly water changes in my systems so this has worked out well.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten 340-360 range with Salifert and confirmed by more than one ICP company for fresh mix IO. I've been spiking it for a few years now.

It doesn't deplete per my 10% weekly water changes in my systems so this has worked out well.

OK, thanks. It certainly seems fine to add 50 ppm K to the IO.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Big E. Hope you're doing well. Take a look at #31 it is an amendment to using FM Agent A and the DIY procedure using a Hanna H713 checker. I just ordered FM potassium kit to get agent A to try this. Please LMK if it works for you. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/developing-a-potassium-test-salifert-style-or-alternative.988758/page-2#post-11895715
Note this procedure has been updated (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/d...le-or-alternative.988758/page-2#post-11895715)

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back