Oceamo ICP-MS Results for Instant Ocean Batch 23108

gws3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Recent Oceamo ICP-MS results for Instant Ocean Batch 23108. Sharing in case anyone is using that particular batch, or just wants a data point for where Instant Ocean measure.

1687546110462.png

1687546142544.png

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recent Oceamo ICP-MS results for Instant Ocean Batch 23108. Sharing in case anyone is using that particular batch, or just wants a data point for where Instant Ocean measure.

1687546110462.png

1687546142544.png
Thanks!

I wish they would have tested for ammonia.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, thanks for posting the info.

When you made it, did you notice any solid precipitate on the bottom? That's not uncommon for IO, and might account for alk and calcium to be on the low side.

OP
OP
gws3

gws3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

When you made it, did you notice any solid precipitate on the bottom? That's not uncommon for IO, and might account for alk and calcium to be on the low side.

No significant precipitate. I mixed a small batch in a 5 gallon bucket for this test sample. I didn't see anything at the bottom when I emptied it. Calcium was low, but Alk was over 9, which I don't consider on the low side, at least not for a salt like IO that's not intended to boost parameters like Reef Crystals.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No significant precipitate. I mixed a small batch in a 5 gallon bucket for this test sample. I didn't see anything at the bottom when I emptied it. Calcium was low, but Alk was over 9, which I don't consider on the low side, at least not for a salt like IO that's not intended to boost parameters like Reef Crystals.

IME, alk is usually higher then that in normal IO, but it may just reflect batch to batch variation or inhomogeneity in a bucket.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Regular IO “should” be over 10 for alkalinity. It’s common for IO to vary between batches though. Keeps cost down when QC is lower.

I’m not saying it’s bad even though some will read it that way. Just stating that it seems to be pretty inconsistent batch to batch.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

1687546110462.png

1687546142544.png

Thank you for the test and results. Adds to the database of ICP tests on salts. I know just how costly it becomes to test them

OP
OP
gws3

gws3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
IME, alk is usually higher then that in normal IO, but it may just reflect batch to batch variation or inhomogeneity in a bucket.

My Hanna HI-755 checker gave me a result of 9.86 dKh. It was consistently about 0.5 dKh higher than Oceamo ICP-MS for the four tests I had done (one for the new salt batch, one for each of my three reef systems).

Potassium seems a lot lower than I’d like.

Agreed. I add KCl to my two part to keep my levels around 400-410 ppm. I view salt mix as a starting point. Even if a salt mix is very close to NSW you're still going to have to dose to match consumption of certain elements, so I don't see a few things being low as an issue. Perhaps consistency is more important. I buy a pallet of salt at a time, which lasts me about a year, so I'm hoping the salt is consistent throughout the batch.

I've always been curious about trace elements and their impact on corals, but have always been skeptical of dosing anything that can't be measured. I'm pretty excited about the ICP-MS testing Oceamo is providing. I plan to start dosing trace elements in a manner aligned pretty closely with the Reef Moonshiners program. I think ICP-MS enables one to do this in a controlled manner.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1687546110462.png

1687546142544.png

How do they code the batch numbers on retail packages? I looked at a RC-50 bag that I have and could read some numbers:

unreadable text : 3222 18809 : 2

Seems like the batch number for mine is 18809?

Thanks,

Jay

OP
OP
gws3

gws3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
How do they code the batch numbers on retail packages? I looked at a RC-50 bag that I have and could read some numbers:

unreadable text : 3222 18809 : 2

Seems like the batch number for mine is 18809?

Thanks,

Jay

I can't speak to individual bags, but the 200 gallon boxes have it printed on the side in large letters. I'm assuming it's the batch number, but I could be wrong.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anecdotally, and my tests would not be anywhere as accurate or precise, but my IO alk always comes in around 10-11 dkh and the Calcium always hovers between 415-430.

These results are quite different from my batch!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Word of the day. Hmm...do I use uniform or do I use inhomogeneity...

Hope your Saturday is going well. Along with everyone else.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My Hanna HI-755 checker gave me a result of 9.86 dKh. It was consistently about 0.5 dKh higher than Oceamo ICP-MS for the four tests I had done (one for the new salt batch, one for each of my three reef systems).

Agreed. I add KCl to my two part to keep my levels around 400-410 ppm. I view salt mix as a starting point. Even if a salt mix is very close to NSW you're still going to have to dose to match consumption of certain elements, so I don't see a few things being low as an issue. Perhaps consistency is more important. I buy a pallet of salt at a time, which lasts me about a year, so I'm hoping the salt is consistent throughout the batch.

I've always been curious about trace elements and their impact on corals, but have always been skeptical of dosing anything that can't be measured. I'm pretty excited about the ICP-MS testing Oceamo is providing. I plan to start dosing trace elements in a manner aligned pretty closely with the Reef Moonshiners program. I think ICP-MS enables one to do this in a controlled manner.

Have you sent out an ICP-MS on your system to compare? What's your water change regime?

I'm in the process of adding a few things that show up on standard ICP. I'm already dosing K to the mixing water to boost. Mg, Zinc and Iron are next in line as they are showing up on fresh mix IO but not in my system. Most of the rest are zero, so I'm intrigued by the MS readings you have gotten.

OP
OP
gws3

gws3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Have you sent out an ICP-MS on your system to compare? What's your water change regime?

I'm in the process of adding a few things that show up on standard ICP. I'm already dosing K to the mixing water to boost. Mg, Zinc and Iron are next in line as they are showing up on fresh mix IO but not in my system. Most of the rest are zero, so I'm intrigued by the MS readings you have gotten.

Yes, see below. The IO test result is the first column, then the next three columns are the three different systems I keep.

I do 20% water changes, every two weeks, religiously.

I dose two part on all my systems currently. I mix CaCl and MgCl together. I also add Iodide, Strontium, and Potassium to this solution to keep those levels close to NSW. I find these three all get consumed. I've been doing this for years as their are home test kits for these.

I've always been curious about other trace elements, but am skeptical about blindly dosing for elements that can't be tested for. ICP-MS really opens the door to keep an eye on these as well. On one of my systems I've recently started doing Reef Moonshiners, no noticeable impacts yet, but it's only been a few weeks. My systems were in a pretty good place to start with, so I'm not expecting a huge difference, but I'm always trying to improve my husbandry.

Looking at my ICP-MS test results, the following trace elements also appear to be being consumed: Barium, Iron, Fluorine, Manganese, Nickel, Rubidium (slightly/possibly), and Selenium.

My Cobalt and Vanadium levels are elevated above IO levels. I suspect this is due to the fact I dose Aquavitro Fuel.

1688902512907.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting the info. If the potassium is accurate, I'm surprised it is low.

That said, I'm not really understanding the salinity calculation or determination. Adding up the main elements I see 36.4 ppt worth of ions, not the 35.4 listed (which might be a measurement rather than a calculation, but it points up the potential errors somewhere).

I'm also not sure what the reference values represent. They do not represent seawater at 35 ppt. The magnesium is much too high for 35 ppt normal seawater.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back