Feeling like an idiot...

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 150g has been set up for a few months. I've had live rock for quite some time in an older 75g, as well as 75g of cycled water.

I started introducing fish about 6 weeks ago.

I made the big mistake by not QT my fish.

I now have ick.

I have a huge batch of soft coral coming in on Wednesday.

I was going to set up my 75 as a QT quickly and remove my fish and treat accordingly, but I went out to my garage to find out someone stole it the evening before.....

I guess I could use some practical advice as to how to go about this.

My coral is more important to me than my fish currently, but I adore my fish....

I could use some expert advice.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of your struggles. No need to feel like an idiot, stuff happens.

If you are only missing the tank you can literally go to Walmart and buy some Rubbermaid bins. They work, it's not the most ideal thing for being able to inspect the fish but in an emergency situation it would do. You really just need a HOB, heat and flow. Airstone is helpful as well.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you desire to run an ich free tank, now is the time to do it. It will never be easier to catch and treat your fish now. Once you have an established reef, it’s many times harder.

We need to know what fish you have before we can advise you what to do. Finding a temporary container for your fish is not hard. Rubbermaid bins, 40breeder tanks are pretty easy to find.

Expert advice is to go slow. Bad things happen when you move fast with lots of fish. Ich is not a fast killer, if it kills at all. Don’t worry about putting corals into the tank. Nothing will happen to them. Just don’t glue them on rock so you can easy move the scape to catch the fish. Make sure you have biological filtration setup in your holding tank that can handle the fish load. Also, depending on the amount of fish you have, consider TTM in batches instead of all at once (most ich-sensitive fish first). You could also copper, but I prefer TTM.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 150g has been set up for a few months. I've had live rock for quite some time in an older 75g, as well as 75g of cycled water.

I started introducing fish about 6 weeks ago.

I made the big mistake by not QT my fish.

I now have ick.

I have a huge batch of soft coral coming in on Wednesday.

I was going to set up my 75 as a QT quickly and remove my fish and treat accordingly, but I went out to my garage to find out someone stole it the evening before.....

I guess I could use some practical advice as to how to go about this.

My coral is more important to me than my fish currently, but I adore my fish....

I could use some expert advice.
Sorry for your troubles :(

How does someone steal a 75 gal! That must of been a legitimate heist ! ;Nailbiting

OP
OP
Softpaws

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate both your replies.

My fish are the following.

Hippo Tang (showing symptoms)
Key Hole Angel
Sail-fin (showing symptoms)
4 Ocellaris
1 Blennie
1 More Tang
2 fire shrimp

I have a nice sump as well as refugium.

OP
OP
Softpaws

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles :(

How does someone steal a 75 gal! That must of been a legitimate heist ! ;Nailbiting

Lol! I have no idea. I had much more expensive items in storage as well. Doesn't make sense.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol! I have no idea. I had much more expensive items in storage as well. Doesn't make sense.
Maybe we will catch them on here in a few weeks when they need help setting it up ;) lol

OP
OP
Softpaws

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a Fire Shrimp try to pick off Ick, or Flukes, or both?

OP
OP
Softpaws

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fire shrimp are picking at the fish that seem to be infected.

I will be picking up a new tank tomorrow morning to make into a QT.

Lesson learned.

OP
OP
Softpaws

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I fed my fish this evening. They are all eating voraciously.
... Not too sure if that is an important observation or or not.

OP
OP
Softpaws

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A neon cleaner goby works just as hard, but will eat food. It is just small and might become a snack.

Just like the wrasse I meant, not the shrimp. The goby is captive bred and cheap, also supposedly eats pellets as well as flukes, parasites, ich.

Will the goby actually "clear" my ICK, or only buy me time? Regardless, should I put all my fish into a QT for 3 months?

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert, two different camps on ich. Some say every tank has it, just healthy fish fight off the illness. Some treat it in quarantine prophylactically and say it's gone forever. The tank transfer method is a proven method, expensive in your case. I like my pets, so yes, I would try to save them. Also the goby would pick the ich off, but it will still be in the tank to re infect.

OP
OP
Softpaws

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm not about keeping ICK in my system. I wan't to get rid of it completely.
I don't want to "manage" something nasty, especially if there is an option.

I'll start setting up my QT tomorrow.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume that the only way to make your tank "ich free" is to remove all of your fish and treat them with copper for 4+ weeks separate from your display, and keep the display fallow for 76+ days (I highly recommend the Hanna copper tester, by the way). I'm sorry to hear that you have ich. I have heard of people running reef tanks with ich being dormant but not eliminated, but I don't know enough about that to knowledgeably comment on it besides that it is something that I have heard of.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fallow-periods-going-fishless.190324/

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great advice I have nothing to add really . it's a good sign that the fish are eating well & the shrimps eating the ich off the fish Very good You are setting up so soon. It will take a while to get it cycled.
also you need a home for them while the tank is fallow . But I'm sure You thought of that already. Good luck !

OP
OP
Softpaws

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are setting up so soon. It will take a while to get it cycled.

I like this advice.

Yes, I "was" setting up quickly, too quickly.

Going to slow it down, quite a bit, after this incident.

My goal is to save my fish, get rid of anything nasty, and create a healthy system for both my corals and fish.

Fragile little systems.

Thank you.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good but still get that qt up & cycled as soon as Ya can.
Using a HOB filter with sponge material and adding biospira is a relatively safe way to get a biofilter going in QT.

@Softpaws "cleaner" shrimp, Wrasse, gobies etc. Will pick at the parasites but not fully erradicate them.

Fish eating are a good sign. You will need to use a proven method such as copper, hypo, TTM in order to fully erradicate the ich while your DT goes fallow for 76 days.

Are you certain it's ich? Can you upload a photo of the hippo?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 137 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back