Feeling like an idiot...

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on getting a photo for a positive ID. If it’s definitely ich, and not velvet... you do have the luxury of a little more time to get everything ready to go in the QT, especially with your shrimp “helping out” ;)

If it’s velvet... your window of time to save your fish is greatly narrowed.

OP
OP
Softpaws

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here he is. Sorry about pic quality.

IMG_1084.jpg

OP
OP
Softpaws

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spot on his head is just the light reflecting off of him.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, with the size of the spots I agree it’s likely ich vs velvet (though, @HotRocks has a better eye for this than me so if he disagrees - believe him lol) but, at any rate it’s a pretty bad case so I wouldn’t take too long getting this rolling.

Ich isn’t AS deadly as velvet, but it can still be deadly, especially to tangs.

OP
OP
Softpaws

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s a pretty bad case so I wouldn’t take too long getting this rolling.

My Sailfin actually looks worse. However, those are the only two showing symptoms.

My wife and I are taking the day off tomorrow of work to take care of this.

I have a huge shipment of softies coming in tomorrow so it's the perfect time to catch my fish, arrange the scape, and start a fish free zone for 3 months.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, with the size of the spots I agree it’s likely ich vs velvet (though, @HotRocks has a better eye for this than me so if he disagrees - believe him lol) but, at any rate it’s a pretty bad case so I wouldn’t take too long getting this rolling.

Ich isn’t AS deadly as velvet, but it can still be deadly, especially to tangs.
I agree with the ich diagnosis from what I can see in the pics.

OP
OP
Softpaws

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking the fish out this evening.

Not quite sure how to go about this but we ha e two tubs with cycled water from the 150. Hooked up a wave maker, heater, and pvc for now.

How and when would you recommend treatment??

I know it’s a loaded question..

I have been looking at treatments here already. Just curious how you all think to go about it.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking the fish out this evening.

Not quite sure how to go about this but we ha e two tubs with cycled water from the 150. Hooked up a wave maker, heater, and pvc for now.

How and when would you recommend treatment??

I know it’s a loaded question..

I have been looking at treatments here already. Just curious how you all think to go about it.
I am a fan of copper. Specifically copper power which is a chelated copper.

Here is what I do:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/unread

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Although a good practice, I do not QT HOWEVER . . . I do observe the fish at the LFS for overall swim behavior, breathing, body condition and ask to see it eat. I enter a few drops of praziPro when I introduce a new fish and 31 years LUCKY

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although a good practice, I do not QT HOWEVER . . . I do observe the fish at the LFS for overall swim behavior, breathing, body condition and ask to see it eat. I enter a few drops of praziPro when I introduce a new fish and 31 years LUCKY
You must have one of the best LFSs around! The two closes stores by me both actively sell fish with ich and velvet to customers. :0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You must have one of the best LFSs around! The two closes stores by me both actively sell fish with ich and velvet to customers. :0

My main LFS also does their own quaranting which helps a lot !!

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a Fire Shrimp try to pick off Ick, or Flukes, or both?

Shrimps and cleaner wrasse May try to pick off ich from the infected, but they won’t get to it...ich is under the skin. That is a very big misnomer about cleaner fish and shrimp.

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find temporary alternate housing for the soft corals - you should be able to leave the fish in tank, cure them and have the tank CI free in about 10 days.
I describe it starting here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/saltwater-ich.585166/page-3#post-5953548

In short:
Reduce salinity to 10ppm for 3 hours every third day for a total of four hyposalinity treatments.. Fish should be clear in 5-8 days with total in tank eradication of the CI parasite.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont like using cupper because the immune system of the fishes will go down quite a bit.
I would use 60 watt UVC or a little more and the problem will disappear.
The UVC units need correct flow and a good part of it needs to be where the fishes sleep. The parasites is spreading in the night when the fishes sleep.
They are very poor swimmers (up to 2 cm/second) so circulation makes it harder for them to attach.
Dont reduce tank flow in the night. If You usually do that - quit.
Leave the UVC on for 2 weeks after last spot sighted and Your fishes will be fine.
After the UVC use the fishes have their immune system intact. (It is the reason that the other fishes are not infected)

And I know it is doubtful if we can say it is the immune system that is working but we definitly know - healthy fishes is not affect as much as fishes in bad condition.

OP
OP
Softpaws

Softpaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are QT’d in totes. Aqua scape is cleaned up and corals are beautiful and heathly. (I’ll post about these later, kudos to whom I ordered from)

Now, time to treat my fishies and stay fish free for a few months.. in the mean time I’ll feed my corals and learn more about lighting and flow.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been really lucky with Pepe in Appleton. Just got a copperband butterfly from him that we watched in the store for a couple of weeks and thought I would quarantine but my quarantine tank parameters were off so I skipped it and put it in my 93cube. It’s been a month and I’m still crossing my fingers! No signs of disease! And it’s eating! We are lucky to have good LFS close to us!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FWIW - people that QT have bad experience with velvet and Ich. You're certainly not an idiot - Not going to get into the discussion as to that - but you are definitely not an idiot

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve been really lucky with Pepe in Appleton. Just got a copperband butterfly from him that we watched in the store for a couple of weeks and thought I would quarantine but my quarantine tank parameters were off so I skipped it and put it in my 93cube. It’s been a month and I’m still crossing my fingers! No signs of disease! And it’s eating! We are lucky to have good LFS close to us!

PePe is the guy. I need to take a run up by him. any CC eating is a winner !!!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back