Feeling like an idiot...

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont like using cupper because the immune system of the fishes will go down quite a bit.
I would use 60 watt UVC or a little more and the problem will disappear.
The UVC units need correct flow and a good part of it needs to be where the fishes sleep. The parasites is spreading in the night when the fishes sleep.
They are very poor swimmers (up to 2 cm/second) so circulation makes it harder for them to attach.
Dont reduce tank flow in the night. If You usually do that - quit.
Leave the UVC on for 2 weeks after last spot sighted and Your fishes will be fine.
After the UVC use the fishes have their immune system intact. (It is the reason that the other fishes are not infected)

And I know it is doubtful if we can say it is the immune system that is working but we definitly know - healthy fishes is not affect as much as fishes in bad condition.
I run UV 24/7 on all three tanks. 2 are 300gal. But I have ick in my fish only 300gal.:( turning it off to do copper. The UV worked well in my reefs though.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are QT’d in totes. Aqua scape is cleaned up and corals are beautiful and heathly. (I’ll post about these later, kudos to whom I ordered from)

Now, time to treat my fishies and stay fish free for a few months.. in the mean time I’ll feed my corals and learn more about lighting and flow.
So glad your coral arrived healthy. Good luck with the fish!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PePe is the guy. I need to take a run up by him. any CC eating is a winner !!!
We Lov Pepe! He has even driven an hour to our house to help us! We swear by him! I won’t lie. My current ick came from a puffer I bought from him in nov. but he has treated his systems and fish since then and has been better. It doesn’t stear me away. He also treats for flukes. All stores get ick but it’s how they take care of it and the fish that matters. He has expanded his store and is really nice. He certainly cares about the animals and takes time to care for his systems. We see him once a week for supplies. My husband works two minutes from him!

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep the shrimp with the coral. If the tank will be fallow, they will be fine with the coral and ich will be gone after the time passes. You can treat the fish with copper or whatever treatment you decide and not worry about the shrimp.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in Appleton is this PePe's store located?
Here is a photo of the address. He is wonderful. Very knowledge, clean store, fair prices, healthy fish with the rare exception of something unexpected but I have very rarely been burned and if I was he certainly didn’t realize it. He will not sell a fish to someone that doesn’t have the proper system. I hope you visit. Good luck! He also has very nice color selection for the area and he will special order fish or supplies.

82784D1F-C2C0-4BBE-A06C-B410D0B06901.png

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the goby actually "clear" my ICK, or only buy me time? Regardless, should I put all my fish into a QT for 3 months?
Neither, there’s no proof of any of those animals eating ich, but fish try to get cleaned when they’re infested so we feel they help.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You must have one of the best LFSs around! The two closes stores by me both actively sell fish with ich and velvet to customers. :0
Curious - why would you go there - or is it the only choice? I have never seen CI in a tank at any LFS from which I bought fish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a photo of the address. He is wonderful. Very knowledge, clean store, fair prices, healthy fish with the rare exception of something unexpected but I have very rarely been burned and if I was he certainly didn’t realize it. He will not sell a fish to someone that doesn’t have the proper system. I hope you visit. Good luck! He also has very nice color selection for the area and he will special order fish or supplies.

82784D1F-C2C0-4BBE-A06C-B410D0B06901.png
Yes - agree on this - he is a great guy - and a great store

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - why would you go there - or is it the only choice? I have never seen CI in a tank at any LFS from which I bought fish.

Only two saltwater LFS an hour from me in one direction. Only one in another direction (not counting Petco), also an hour away. I live in no man's land so local shopping is limited. One of the shops has very reasonable prices for goods that makes the trip worth it for me just for salt alone. I buy a lot of salt. LOL. Also, the store owner allows me to put in orders for fish and pick them up on delivery day. The fish never go into the store's tanks. The philosophy of the owner is to manage ich because it's in all tanks. I've learned not to argue the point with him on this topic. The majority of the fish I buy are from online vendors, but we know many are still harboring some pathogen these days. I figure it does not matter where I buy fish today. I'm going to treat prophylacticly whether there are visual signs of illness or not. I know not everyone agrees with this philosophy, but for me, it is the only way I'll consider adding fish to my tanks.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only two saltwater LFS an hour from me in one direction. Only one in another direction (not counting Petco), also an hour away. I live in no man's land so local shopping is limited. One of the shops has very reasonable prices for goods that makes the trip worth it for me just for salt alone. I buy a lot of salt. LOL. Also, the store owner allows me to put in orders for fish and pick them up on delivery day. The fish never go into the store's tanks. The philosophy of the owner is to manage ich because it's in all tanks. I've learned not to argue the point with him on this topic. The majority of the fish I buy are from online vendors, but we know many are still harboring some pathogen these days. I figure it does not matter where I buy fish today. I'm going to treat prophylacticly whether there are visual signs of illness or not. I know not everyone agrees with this philosophy, but for me, it is the only way I'll consider adding fish to my tanks.
Curious - does he use low dose copper?

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - agree on this - he is a great guy - and a great store
This was not the first fish store we went to but now is our trusted place. We probably would have given up on the hobby in the first year if we hadn’t found Pepe. We have 2-300gal tanks and one 93 gal and 90% of my fish and corals have come from him. A few from WwC and a couple fish from Other places but we almost exclusively use him for livestock now and truthfully I am not consistent with quarantining my fish :( even though I know I still should because sometimes disease is hiding. I know all stores do get sick fish but when he has a problem he takes care of it and does not deliberately sell sick fish to anyone. He is considerate not to sell the wrong fish or coral to someone that will not work in their tank. Early on I wanted a Dori and he told me it wouldn’t work in my 75 gal and I was insistent! So he said if you promise to bring it back to me when it gets too big or to buy a bigger tank then I will sell it to you! So I upgraded to 300gal 3 yrs later. He cares about the animals and the customers. He has helped us so many times and we enjoy his company. He has taught us so much. I’m glad you’ve had good experiences there also. As you can tell I think very highly of him and thankful for his knowledge and help for the last five years!

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - does he use low dose copper?
One does keep tanks running with low dose copper (that I know of). The other store keeps tanks at very low salinity to try to control ick. The low salinity does mask it somewhat, but fish are observed actively covered in ich frequently in his tanks. The salinity is not low enough to eradicate ich.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 55 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back