OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with no filter sock (I am really debating removing mine) how do you prevent micro bubbles when I run NO sock its just crazy bubbles. Would adding to the drain to put it under water fix this?

Try adding three weir to the final return path, I recall listening to a speaker at CMAC-2013 talking about rock rubble over-flow trap on the drains, PM me if you want to see the designs.

seagull18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many times a week do you remove and replace with clean ones?

About every 3 days but I do have a heavy bio-load. Also I use a 100 micron sock which will get dirtier faster. Many of the filter socks that come with units are 200 micron. Again for me to change and clean the socks (4 of them) takes about 10 minutes.

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run one because I love the polished crystal clear water. Not much more work on the weekly routine.

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replace mine about once a week. I have a few sets so it only takes a few minutes. Pull the dirty ones out and throw them in a bucket of bleach/water and then the clean ones go back in the sump. Water is always crystal clear.

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replace mine about once a week. I have a few sets so it only takes a few minutes. Pull the dirty ones out and throw them in a bucket of bleach/water and then the clean ones go back in the sump. Water is always crystal clear.
About the same for me except I just throw mine in washer no soap of course.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the same for me except I just throw mine in washer no soap of course.

I do mine in the wash also. I give them a wash with vinegar every two to three washes. I also change the socks every 2 to 3 days. I have 5 socks for now at 100 micron. I also love the water clarity with the 100's..

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't find that to be true actually. Have had settling chambers into all my sumps for years, and the design that works the best is to have full height baffles that force water under then over. Full tank volume, but lower water velocity allows detritus to settle out. Each baffle can be spaced a few inches apart, thus taking up very little space from the sump. Grinding a hole in the bottom or on one side allows you to drain the section easily. In the past I used an old mag float as a way to stir up the gunk for easy draining.

What do you mean by "works best". Go to any aqua cultural site and search for settling basin.
Cone Bottom Detritus Settling Tank Thread - Atlanta Reef Club Forums

Almost everything I have ever thought of "works best". **** what a recommendation.

Masedaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the poly mesh socks instead of the felt like socks. Mine are 2 hundred micron but they do an excellent job. The mesh will last longer in between changes, so I change mine once a week. With the felt socks I was changing twice a week.

To clean them, I put them in the washing machine with no soap. I fill the washer with the hottest water selection and then add a capful of bleach directly to the hot water. I don't use the bleach dispenser. I do an extra rinse on the cycle as well. Every third wash or so I'll turn them inside out.

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a splash of bleach as well. Wait until I'm on my last one and wash the dirty ones let air dry. I change out every week when I clean skimmer cup and check over and do regular maintenance.

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run em though the Washing machine with a bit a bleach and did an extra rinse cycle.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by "works best". Go to any aqua cultural site and search for settling basin.
Cone Bottom Detritus Settling Tank Thread - Atlanta Reef Club Forums

Almost everything I have ever thought of "works best". **** what a recommendation.

Haha, have you actually tried making one, or just parroting what you have read. Last time I checked, I wasn't running an aqua culture system (read: large). Based on my own experience with lots of designs, some bad some good, I simply found your advice poor.

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We seem to have a somewhat even split, can see why both ways if, setup correctly for a particular tank works... I'm all for KISS (like Franky point out) the less things to go wrong the better. I also see repeated use of bleach being used a bit to help with sock maintenance, but no soaps... Has one one tried alternative products like "Planet Inc., Ultra Powdered Laundry Detergent" or something similar, if so please share with the group?

Masedaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are yours the felt type, Phil? I have found the felt type socks clog very easily. I switched over to the poly mesh socks, they are better in my opinion. I get several more days out of one sock.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, have you actually tried making one, or just parroting what you have read. Last time I checked, I wasn't running an aqua culture system (read: large). Based on my own experience with lots of designs, some bad some good, I simply found your advice poor.

Yes, I built a settling basin in 1999 for a set up I had in Nashville TN. So my experience is poor and yours is great based on what "works best" So when I asked what wokrs best means, you become offended. Fine!

Masedaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I built a settling basin in 1999 for a set up I had in Nashville TN. So my experience is poor and yours is great based on what "works best" So when I asked what wokrs best means, you become offended. Fine!

Ugghhh, everyone has different opinions.... No need for the upset. The DRAMA begins!!!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back