Finally joined the wrasse family

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chelated copper is safer. I've had success using copper with wrasses. Just bring the copper level up gradually and they handle it just fine.

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had success with a Melanurus wrasse using Cupramine for a 30 day treatment with no problem, however I raised the copper levels much slower than the directions recommend. The directions state 1 ml per 10.5 gallons the first day. I used half of that dose waited 48 hours and dosed half again. I continued at half rate every 48 hours until I reach the therapeutic level of 0.5 mg/l. If at any point he looked stressed I waited an extra 24 hours before the next dose. Haven't tried it on fairy wrasses yet.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the leopard wrasse was belly up this morning unfortunately. I'll have to try a more reputable lfs for them next time. It was only a day and a half since I got him, so I don't think it was something I did, but sad still. On the bright note the solarensis took some nibbles and was out until I came by, so everyone else looks to be on the up and up.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry about your leopard :(

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasses can be touch and go the first few days regardless of where it was from.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of picking up a yellow coris since the sand isn't in use any more when I stop by the lfs to pick up the black worms and brine shrimp tonight. Also thinking of getting a lawnmower blenny, but would either of those harass the existing wrasses? Particularly the solorensis which is up sometimes, but isn't really comfortable yet. It's a 40 breeder, and the yellow coris at the store was small.

IMG_20170228_114131.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the crysus would be fine with your other wrasses. In my experience, they are pretty shy. Can't speak for the blenny, never had one.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a h. Chrysus, lawnmower blenny, and a lonely little c. Flavidorsalis which was calling my name. So that's about the max I'm comfortable with for a bioload, and I'm doing daily water changes to let the filters adjust. The quarantine tank has been up for over a month, and ammonia badge says were in good shape. Solorensis was up and about, but still shy when I come around. No aggression so far, and every one was nibbling on brine shrimp. I'll wait until everyone is eating well until I start prazi/Metro and then start the ttm. Can anyone identify the paracheilinus? Is it a carpenter or mccoskers?

Sorry, one more question, I have egg crate over the quarantine tank, but a real mesh lid over the display tank. Do you think I need to put something finer on top of the egg crate for the month in quarantine or I can get by with just the egg crate. I'm pretty sure the coris could slip through, but I doubt the others would make it.

Thanks!
IMG_20170228_203140.jpg IMG_20170228_202539.jpg

Last edited:

Rutrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, when I introduce them in a month, should I use a social acclimation box for them? I have 2 ocellaris, a yellow tang and a genicanthus Watanabe. How many can I put in a time in the elite aquatics box?

I don't think you have any existing wrasses in your DT or other wrasse-like fish (anthias or dottybacks), and your mix of wrasses has been together in QT, so I personally would not use the acclimation box when you add them. I definitely would for a couple of days far any future wrasse additions.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody is out and about except the yellow fin fairy since yesterday and has some stringy white poop so I started api general cure and kanaplex becauae the flasher appears to have a mouth infection. Added an air stone to help with biological filtration as I'm not going to be changing water till I start the ttm when the meds have run their course.

I was going to wait till the second transfer to do the second round, give them time to relax in the new tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back