First reef - 40 gallon breeder mostly DIY

sassmastawillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally starting to put together my first reef tank after months of gathering equipment and planning. Almost done with building the stand, but wanted to start a build thread now if anyone had any input along the way.

The stand is made from 3/4" plywood following the design and steps from this video:

I built my terrarium stand out of 2x4s and its such overkill, and I wanted as much open space inside the stand to hide all my equipment. People have confidence in plywood stands, but if there's any skepticism on the structural integrity, I might add some more braces.

Display tank is a 40 gallon breeder and sump 20 gallon long aquarium.
Here is a list of the rest of the equipment I have so far:
2 NooPsyche K7 PRO III lights
Sicce Syncra silent 2.0 return pump
Jebao SLW-20
Aquamaxx FC-80 protein skimmer
Eshopps Eclipse s overflow box
Robo-tank aquarium controller
And Im going to use a 10 gallon dog food container for my ATO reservoir. I already have a cheap pump and some float sensors I've tested with reef-pi for the ATO system.

Still need to order a new more pieces of equipment, like heater, another powerhead and fuge light.
I've been playing around with a few design to 3D print my own filter roller. We'll see if that work. If not, I see if I can get one on sale.

Next step after I finish with the stand is to build the sump. Planning on cutting glass for the baffles, and setting up 4 chambers; filter, skimmer, refugium, then return. Then Ill drill the tank and stand for plumbing.

Is there any benefit to having the overflow in the middle of the tank or in the corner? What do people like to use for return nozzles too?

PXL_20240513_211846467.MP.jpg

AnomMatty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!

For overflow/return I think corner to corner helps create more water movement naturally, but it may be moot. Personally fan of the loc-line for returns, as you can adjust/change it should you want down the line.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck yeah. love a good 40br build. one of my fav. tank sizes, a true classic.

one suggestion i would have is remove the rug/carpet under the tank. 100% chance water drops and spills will be there. so much easier to clean up off the hard floor vs the carpet.

plywood is fine for the stand. if build correct you should have Zero issues with it. nice job BTW.

OP
OP
sassmastawillis

sassmastawillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck yeah. love a good 40br build. one of my fav. tank sizes, a true classic.

one suggestion i would have is remove the rug/carpet under the tank. 100% chance water drops and spills will be there. so much easier to clean up off the hard floor vs the carpet.

plywood is fine for the stand. if build correct you should have Zero issues with it. nice job BTW.
Appreciate it, spent almost a whole week so far on just the tank construction and I'm still need to add the doors.
And I don't plan on putting it on a carpet. Just set it down on that one for the time being. Once I'm actually finished with the stand, I'm going to put some felt pads underneath it so it doesn't damage the flooring.

morkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will follow your build closely. Stand looks great.
I have a spare 40 breeder I would like to turn into a maroon clown and BTA tank. I was considering a drop-in AIO, but your 20L sump may have changed my mind.

Txoutlaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We sorta have the same setup but I built a CTC overflow and use a 20H for my sump.also a 10g brute for my ATO.

Going to be following along.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 134 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back