First time cycling. High nitrate. Nearing the end of the cycle?

RDReefNYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started cycling my tank a week ago. Dry rock, live sand, doing dr Tim’s fishless cycle. Ammonia was at or near 0 before dosing ammonia and adding bacteria. Instructions said to do 4 drops per gallon, tank is 15G, I just went with 40 to be on the light side. When I measured ammonia the next day it was very high. I had to run another test and dilute the sample with RODI then multiply because my test didn’t read high enough. Ammonia was somewhere around 4ppm on day 4. Day 5 I was busy, I measured again on day 6 and ammonia is down to 0.4 and nitrates are at 56.8. It’s it time for a large water change? Do I re-dose ammonia after? Any guidance would be appreciated.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks cycled to me, yeah I'd do a water change and you should be good to add your first fish.

Do a good 50% WC and get your nitrates down, then plan for another big one a week later. Since the tank is new, you'll be getting an algae breakout soon, so you want to reduce those nutrients significantly.

OP
OP
R

RDReefNYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks cycled to me, yeah I'd do a water change and you should be good to add your first fish.

Do a good 50% WC and get your nitrates down, then plan for another big one a week later. Since the tank is new, you'll be getting an algae breakout soon, so you want to reduce those nutrients significantly.
Anything I should pick up in advance to deal with the algae? Also if I wanted to wait for some time to add fish should I keep dosing some ammonia so there is an ammonia source for the bacteria while I wait to add fish?

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything I should pick up in advance to deal with the algae? Also if I wanted to wait for some time to add fish should I keep dosing some ammonia so there is an ammonia source for the bacteria while I wait to add fish?
The algae is a normal part of the cycle, and I personally wouldn't continue to add anything else and let things happen naturally. I would do a water change, physically remove the algae with the water change, and continue to wait (until the ammonia and nitrites are at zero). I have a ten gallon tank and after I had the initial cycle I just did small weekly water changes, removing the algae with time it will go away. Don't continue dosing ammonia as once it's in the system you are good. No harm in taking things slow!

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not in advance but I'd be ready to purchase a clean-up crew when the algae shows up. Until then you just sit tight, because those critters need the food to be there before you add them.

Your local LFS should have a large selection of critters to choose from (hermit crabs, snails, etc)

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 4ppm ammonia your nitrates are likely 15 or so. I expect nitrite is screwing with your nitrate test giving a 50ish reading. I see no need to do a water change personally.

OP
OP
R

RDReefNYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 4ppm ammonia your nitrates are likely 15 or so. I expect nitrite is screwing with your nitrate test giving a 50ish reading. I see no need to do a water change personally.
It was probably higher than 4ppm, my test only goes up to 2ppm so it was just “off the chart” for a few days until I thought to dilute then multiply to get an idea of the number.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change is fine now but I would go a second week before live stock. Dose ammonia after water change. You should see 0 ammonia within 24 hours and noticeable nitrates production again. Then you are running a good cycle. Another water change then first fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back