First time treating my fish with Cupramine. Anyone is following the recommended dosage?

Oliver199234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the recommended dosage for Cupramine is sufficient or too much for the fish. I'm following the guidelines given to me by Seachem Cupramine. Tested at 0.5mg/L

I bought a blue eye kole tang and placed it in my quarantine tank (with 1 clownfish and a blue tang for 5 days)

Everything was fine until the blue eye tang kole tang is covered in ich (a lot and I'm sure it's ich not velvet). It was the first time that fish died in 48 hours.

I think my clownfish and blue tang are infected because all of the sudden they're swimming to the powerhead

The blue tang has been scratching its body against the biocubes and breathing heavily.

Took me 2 days for me to get all the medication. Now my clownfish is fine but my blue tang is getting tired and laying on the ground.

Is it too late to save it?

I've checked my water parameters and everything is fine since the water is from my display tank (3 years old)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oliver199234 Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should follow the instructions. Too low and the parasites will not be killed, too high and the fish will be killed. Be sure you have a good test kit, preferably Hanna. you should try to keep the concentration in the 0.45 - 0.55 range. Copper Power or Copper Safe are a bit easier to dose since the compound allows a much higher concentration and hence a wider range of safety.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Although you think it's ich, the behavior sounds more like velvet. Either way, the treatment is the same.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Although you think it's ich, the behavior sounds more like velvet. Either way, the treatment is the same.
PS - could you send a picture?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is the recommended dosage for Cupramine is sufficient or too much for the fish. I'm following the guidelines given to me by Seachem Cupramine. Tested at 0.5mg/L

I bought a blue eye kole tang and placed it in my quarantine tank (with 1 clownfish and a blue tang for 5 days)

Everything was fine until the blue eye tang kole tang is covered in ich (a lot and I'm sure it's ich not velvet). It was the first time that fish died in 48 hours.

I think my clownfish and blue tang are infected because all of the sudden they're swimming to the powerhead

The blue tang has been scratching its body against the biocubes and breathing heavily.

Took me 2 days for me to get all the medication. Now my clownfish is fine but my blue tang is getting tired and laying on the ground.

Is it too late to save it?

I've checked my water parameters and everything is fine since the water is from my display tank (3 years old)
Recommended is coppersafe which is a safer chelated form with bonders to keep its effectiveness. If youve already started ionic type- cupramine. . . . . .5 is the max although a tad higher still safe. I recommend 4.75 monitored with a Hanna Copper test kit to allow for room for error and to compensate with true tank volume.
Add aeration during treatment with air stone and monitor ammonia with a reliable test kit

OP
OP
O

Oliver199234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your replies. My blue tang has recovered a lot! From laying on the ground to swimming actively in 48 hours. I thought I'll lose this guy. Although he's not eating as much as he used to, at least he's eating 2 - 6 pellets a day now.

My clownfish doesn't seem to be affected at all.

I'm still keeping the cupramine at 0.5mg/L and plan to run this treatment for 21 days. (The instruction says 14 days but I just want to be play safe - not sure if it's the right thing to do)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back