My Blue tang not looking good...

Draxlupito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
I have been playing this saltwater fish sport for half a year. I used to play in a cubic 35 tank and everything was fine. But when I moved to a bigger tank at the end of January, a lot of things happened. First thing is, my tank was attacked by cyano, I heard that a dose of Chemiclean can clean up the mess. But then I discovered that my Blue Tang (which I got as a gift about a month ago) had white scales. It stays like that for a few days, then goes away, then comes back again. I had a Coral beauty angelfish and diamond goby that died a few days ago and it had the same behavior. The only difference with Dory is that they don't lose those scales after a few days, but grow more. It probably took about a week for them to die. Besides the Blue Tang, I have 2 clownfish, bird nose wrasse and a rabbitfish. The two clownfish appeared to have similar white scales, but they seemed quite normal and were still eating well, as was Dory.
Now what do I do with my tank? Should I remove all the corals and other invertebrates for the copper treatment and then put them back in? Please help me!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to create a "hospital tank", and move the fish to the hospital tank, and then treat the fish in the hospital tank. When the fish are cured, they can be moved back to the main tank.

Can you post some pics of the fish please, so the fish doctors can see what kind of disease?

#fishmedics will tell you how to set up a hospital tank and what to do next.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANG-WELCOME.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi everyone!
I have been playing this saltwater fish sport for half a year. I used to play in a cubic 35 tank and everything was fine. But when I moved to a bigger tank at the end of January, a lot of things happened. First thing is, my tank was attacked by cyano, I heard that a dose of Chemiclean can clean up the mess. But then I discovered that my Blue Tang (which I got as a gift about a month ago) had white scales. It stays like that for a few days, then goes away, then comes back again. I had a Coral beauty angelfish and diamond goby that died a few days ago and it had the same behavior. The only difference with Dory is that they don't lose those scales after a few days, but grow more. It probably took about a week for them to die. Besides the Blue Tang, I have 2 clownfish, bird nose wrasse and a rabbitfish. The two clownfish appeared to have similar white scales, but they seemed quite normal and were still eating well, as was Dory.
Now what do I do with my tank? Should I remove all the corals and other invertebrates for the copper treatment and then put them back in? Please help me!
before doing anything, please post a you tube video 20-30 seconds in length under white light intensity for best assessment and suggested treatment
This tank is newer and may play a role.

OP
OP
D

Draxlupito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before doing anything, please post a you tube video 20-30 seconds in length under white light intensity for best assessment and suggested treatment
This tank is newer and may play a role.
I tried to post a video but it kept getting an error and asking for permission from a moderator. I will post the videos to YouTube and post them here immediately. Thanks for the reply

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to set up a QT with no calcium-based rock that would absorb copper.
You can use a HOB or sponge filter, but you will need to monitor ammonia closely, especially if the filtration material isn't cycled.

All fish need to be in the QT.

Copper Power or CopperSafe, dosed at 2.25 to 2.50 ppm. Full strength immediately. 30 days.

The video is not very sharp, but the skin appears to be cover with spots and the fish is flashing. The flashing could be due to an advanced case of ich or flukes.

If you can get a crisper picture, diagnosis confirmation will be easier. Our protocol normally is 30 days for copper followed by 2 or 3 8-day cycles of praziquantel. If the fish have both a severe case of ich and flukes, you will need to treat the two simultaneously.

edit: you will need to allow your DT to remain fallow for 6 - 8 weeks before returning the fish.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Here the videos of the tang, please help me, I'm so panicked

The rate this fish is swimming, need a longer video and as a reminder- WHITE lighting ONLY. Cant see a thing with blue on Blue

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple posts that will help you through the situation.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would set up a hospital tank and use the protocol with copper and prazipro as posted. Since you've had multiple deaths in a short period - and the way that fish looks (hard to tell in the video) - velvet is suggested

OP
OP
D

Draxlupito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to set up a QT with no calcium-based rock that would absorb copper.
You can use a HOB or sponge filter, but you will need to monitor ammonia closely, especially if the filtration material isn't cycled.

All fish need to be in the QT.

Copper Power or CopperSafe, dosed at 2.25 to 2.50 ppm. Full strength immediately. 30 days.

The video is not very sharp, but the skin appears to be cover with spots and the fish is flashing. The flashing could be due to an advanced case of ich or flukes.

If you can get a crisper picture, diagnosis confirmation will be easier. Our protocol normally is 30 days for copper followed by 2 or 3 8-day cycles of praziquantel. If the fish have both a severe case of ich and flukes, you will need to treat the two simultaneously.

edit: you will need to allow your DT to remain fallow for 6 - 8 weeks before returning the fish.
Thanks you so much!
Do you think a 35 cubic meter tank has enough room for them? Should I use the DT tank as a treatment site? I'm afraid that when I move them to another tank, they will be stressed and make their illness worse.
I don't think there is a sign of flukes but it look like velvet. But the strange thing is that this happened to him a few times and I saw him recover after 2 days and then it happened again. I also noticed that the ich had tiny white dots, but it seemed more like a layer of white powder. The same goes for both clownfish, but their symptoms are much milder than Dory's, just a little on the back and have shown no signs of spreading for about 3 days now.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you so much!
Do you think a 35 cubic meter tank has enough room for them? Should I use the DT tank as a treatment site? I'm afraid that when I move them to another tank, they will be stressed and make their illness worse.
I don't think there is a sign of flukes but it look like velvet. But the strange thing is that this happened to him a few times and I saw him recover after 2 days and then it happened again. I also noticed that the ich had tiny white dots, but it seemed more like a layer of white powder. The same goes for both clownfish, but their symptoms are much milder than Dory's, just a little on the back and have shown no signs of spreading for about 3 days now.
What size again? 35 cubic meter would be enormous. 35 liters perhaps? That would be very small.

55x50x40 centimeters would be 110 liters (appx 29 gallons) = more than adequate for the 6 fish

35x35x35 centimeters would be 43 liters (appx 11 gallons) = too small for the 6 fish

Appears the tank has a lot of calcium-based rock and substrate which cannot be used in QT.

You should also place a bowl of inert sand (not aragonite) in the QT for the wrasse to bury in.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was also my thought too when I saw it :( hope the medics can help. Getting an ID on what it is
It isn’t velvet - that causes rapid breathing, hanging in water currents, followed swiftly by death.

With that continuous scratching, I’d say this is flukes, but I’d like to wait for a better video under whiter lights.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just saw this now and agree on flukes
J see Jay is on this, so stepping out for now

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back