Fish sick?

Linoss17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased these two clownfish but I noticed on one of them a little discoloration I’m new to the hobby and I’m not sure if it’s discoloration or the color of the clownfish it seems only one fish has it. Does it look like anything to you guys?

Attachments

• IMG_6287.MOV
    24.5 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just purchased these two clownfish but I noticed on one of them a little discoloration I’m new to the hobby and I’m not sure if it’s discoloration or the color of the clownfish it seems only one fish has it. Does it look like anything to you guys?
In the video they appear very normal. While I see a very slight haze to their pigment but nothing that suggest they are ill.
Common with Wild caught clowns are the brooklynella disease in which you would see:
thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish as the mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.

OP
OP
Linoss17

Linoss17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the video they appear very normal. While I see a very slight haze to their pigment but nothing that suggest they are ill.
Common with Wild caught clowns are the brooklynella disease in which you would see:
thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish as the mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
I’ve noticed some more white spots and some weird red spot on my clown fish near his eye. Do you see anything abnormal on him? Early signs of any disease ?

Attachments

• IMG_6325.MOV
    91.3 MB

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed some more white spots and some weird red spot on my clown fish near his eye. Do you see anything abnormal on him? Early signs of any disease ?
Stuff can get stuck to their slime coat. Wait 24hrs and see if it's still there tomorrow. More than likely as they replenish the mucus it will fall off overnight.

OP
OP
Linoss17

Linoss17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to my lfs and they have diagnosed the clownfish with brooklynela they recommended ruby reef rally pro. They have told me to dose it directly into my display tank to get rid of it from the tank instead of putting them in my qt. Have you guys had any experience using ruby reef ? I’ve been searching for formalin but no store carry’s any around me and due to the holidays I wouldn’t get it shipped until January and by then my fish would be dead. Have you had any success with ruby reef or any other products?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to my lfs and they have diagnosed the clownfish with brooklynela they recommended ruby reef rally pro. They have told me to dose it directly into my display tank to get rid of it from the tank instead of putting them in my qt. Have you guys had any experience using ruby reef ? I’ve been searching for formalin but no store carry’s any around me and due to the holidays I wouldn’t get it shipped until January and by then my fish would be dead. Have you had any success with ruby reef or any other products?
Does the LFS sell ruby reef rally pro?

I think patience is your best bet. I don't want your fish to die, but they might, no matter what you do or don't do.

OP
OP
Linoss17

Linoss17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the LFS sell ruby reef rally pro?

I think patience is your best bet. I don't want your fish to die, but they might, no matter what you do or don't do.
Yes they told me to use to use ruby reef rally pro. He said he uses it for his fish when he gets new shipments or he has to do service calls for sick fish but I’ve found formalin is better but it is harder to get around me has anyone used a different product before with success?

OP
OP
Linoss17

Linoss17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your initial post was 7 days ago. How is the fish now?
One of my 3 clownfish is doing fine but 2 of them are barely eating and don’t swim like how the other one does and they keep their fins closed. They just started rubbing their body on the rock and sand. I currently started dosing ruby reef rally pro they have not shown signs of discomfort due to the rally pro.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about putting that in your display, as it has formaldehyde and probably other things in it.

If you are truly dealing with brook, dipping fish and putting them in a 'sterile' QT would be the treatment.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • Full frame

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back