OP
S

Salinas Hawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think you should stay away from the damsels. Eventually you'll want to add some other smaller fish and the damsels will destroy them. If the five yellow tangs are the only tangs in the tank and you don't add much more for bigger fish than I would say go for it. Add them all at once and there is a possibility you won't ever see aggression issues.

Actually, last time my tank was up I had a wide variety of fish.... This time im thinkin Tangs, Damsels, and afew Anthias. Then all out coral. Perhaps I'm more of a devil than the Blue Devils. My biggest concern is that five Tangs will result in high nitrates and brown sps.

If the damsels fight, oh well... Thats kinda nature. If the Tangs fight, I will catch them and give them away... Hopefully in time. If my Anthias get killed by damsels... Errrrh.

Im a gambler, but if enough oof yall with more experience than me say that its gonna be a blood bath... I wont try it.

OP
OP
S

Salinas Hawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I did it. 9 blue devils and five yellow tangs in my 180g. And I have five Maldives Lyetail Anthias in Quarantine. So far, so good. I know that is meaningless, and It may be a " battle royal, blood bath, etc.". As beautiful as these fish are swimming around together now, it feels like a ticking time bomb.

I tried to upload a pic on my iPad but failed. Error message.

Yes, many experienced people warned me, but a few said go for it. Mr Saltwater Tank has three yellow tangs in his 300g. I do follow the advice I get, but enough people also said go for it, so I did.

If the damsels die, hey think about the plot of feeder goldfish. As for the tangs, if it gets ugly, I dont have many coral, so I will do what it takes to catch them, and find them better homes.

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For one thing, you get up way to early my friend, lol. I hope it works out for you. I deff like to press the limits and go against the grain with things in life but have always tried to ''play it safe'' with this hobby. It must be very cool looking for all of them to be together in there, just keep an eye on everything as I'm sure you will, especially with your purple tang. Lets see some pics when you get a chance please!

OP
OP
S

Salinas Hawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will get better pics soon for sure. I finally got around to using PB and IPad to post pics.

The nine Blue Devils have been in there a month longer than the Tangs. They have been model citizens. Hahaha, lol. Really.

I also have a Latz, Orchid Dottyback, three Maldives Anthias, and a Vloriks wrasse. So there isn't much for damsels to pick on. And I have tons of rock, so when they do chase each other around, they are able to quickly get away from each other.

Still, It feels Like a ticking time bomb.

Greedo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank now has three Yellow Tangs and five Blue Devils. The damsels never really bothered any other fish. The two Tangs and Four damsels that are missing just disappeared, almost certainly sniped by there buddies. I think a few were sniped during weekends where the fish didn't get enough food.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back