OP
OP
Reefphd

Reefphd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I leave for Disney World in two days for the Halloween party.
When I get back next week I will begin the task of putting in seeded live rock and coral.
This should be a simple transition for the animals I'm getting. 140 gallons of shiny new salt water.
Pictures to follow.

mcmunn93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20161102_185655.jpg
20161102_185645.jpg
20161102_185627.jpg

OP
OP
Reefphd

Reefphd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5565.JPG Added about 30-40 lbs of cured live rock and coral.
The rock in the middle was held for almost a year by my friend Brian. I've had this rock in my aquariums for the last 7 years.

I'm not totally happy with the layout, but none of the rock is touching the sand.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The floating look is cool! Great work!

OP
OP
Reefphd

Reefphd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5571.JPG
Cured rock and some coral added. Getting algae on the rocks, everything is progressing nicely.
Not one piece of the reef structure rock is touching the sand and I'm seeing a lot of the detritus shedding from the rock floating up to the overflows.

I still need to connect my reef angel, doser, and reservoir.

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, @atoll and @Reefphd , what have you guys accomplished by arguing over the Internet? Yeah you both may have gotten your opinion across but what good did it do? You both have basically destroyed your reputations on this thread to any newcomer. This is not a place to argue it is place to share. If you have a disagreement work it out over the direct messaging not on a thread. I hope you two can work it out[emoji846]

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The staff has cleaned up the argument that was going on as it had gotten to a point of violating our forum rules. Please remember to follow our site rules in all posting. If you have any questions about this decision, feel free to pm me (or any staff member). Now...let's get this thread back on topic.

OP
OP
Reefphd

Reefphd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, @atoll and @Reefphd , what have you guys accomplished by arguing over the Internet? Yeah you both may have gotten your opinion across but what good did it do? You both have basically destroyed your reputations on this thread to any newcomer. This is not a place to argue it is place to share. If you have a disagreement work it out over the direct messaging not on a thread. I hope you two can work it out[emoji846]

I'm sorry that this got out of hand. I was not expecting this type of behavior from a senior member.

OP
OP
Reefphd

Reefphd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Reef, I do love the Gyres, but have had trouble with them in the past. When cleaning mine, I found that they don't go back together that easily.
It was so bad that Coralvue sent me so many replacement parts that I now have a spare third Gyre. I will say that Coralvue was really awesome about helping me fix the issues.

They now run in alternate schedules. You should see the detritus fly out from under the reef!

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I still question if I made the right choice with my vortechs because they are so loud (I have the older ones).

OP
OP
Reefphd

Reefphd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, vortechs can be loud, but my old vortechs ran for about 4 years before I sold it and got the gyres.
I loved my vortech, because of how durable it was, but the Gyres move a lot more water.

If you do buy a Gyre, make sure you get the reinforced blades. The basic ones snap like crackers when baby keyhole limpets wander in! Haha

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I love my vortechs mainly because of the versatility and their clean look in the tank. I will remember to get the reinforced blades if I do get a gyre!

OP
OP
Reefphd

Reefphd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I will point out is the controllability of the Ecotech Radions and Vortechs through their wireless device. I already have the radions and the controller.
Which is why I'm seriously considering going back to Vortechs.
I don't think you can control lights and gyres from Coralvue, correct?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back