Reefphd

Reefphd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Whoop,

Get ready for a small novel.

So it was a fun process that took a day to do.

I bought two diamond drill bits, 1/4" & 1/2".
The lower pieces have the 1/2" rods, 1/4" for the upper.

I placed the rocks on a thick towel and with my Milwaukee in hand, I slowly drilled the rock with one hand while with the other fed a tiny stream of water from a cup onto the bit to keep the it from getting too hot and burning out. I was also afraid the rock would split from the heat.

I drilled about half way through the rock and with a spring action hole punch I cleared the center pieces (cores) left by the drill.

For the upper pieces, I also drilled 1/4" holes into the lower pieces to securely fasten them. Otherwise, you'll have a terrible game of jenga once you start adding corals.

I was going to use Acrylic weld to fuse the rods to the rock, but read on here that crazy glue would hold it as well.

So I cut my acrylic, glued the ends and inserted them into the rock. Twisting the rod in so the glue evenly dispersed.

Btw, when cutting acrylic rod, you only needs to score one side about 1/5 the way with a fine tooth hacksaw. The piece snaps right off when you bend it. You can use fine sandpaper to clean the ends.

I let the glue cure on the rods and inserted the top pieces into the bottom pieces (glued).

It took me a majority of my Saturday morning and afternoon to finish, but the rocks are solidly in place without any issue of toppling.

The last thing I want to mention is the issue of finding so many perfectly flat pieces of rock. I searched LFS's, online, here...
In the end I reached out to Bulk Reef Supply, (I love those guys).
I called them up and explained what I was looking for. They took the time out to select all incredible flat rocks for me. The rock cost me $109. For 35lbs total. I would've paid easily $350 had I bought it local.

So if you're deciding to do this, give them a call. They rock!
(Sorry, I couldn't help myself)

Bill

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefphd. I do remember the name. I don't go on Reef Central any more. :D
I also have some suspended rocks in my tank but I did it a little differently. My tank is long and shallow so a large rock sticks out about the water. I have it suspended with monofilament fishing line above the tank to keep it from falling

OP
OP
Reefphd

Reefphd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool Paul, I rarely go there now myself.
If I remember correctly, didn't you have the oldest running aquarium around?

That's a seriously cool way of doing it!
Picture?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how old the oldest is so I can't be sure. Mine is 45 years old now.

Jude135

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Be sure you post the photos when it's inhabited with fish and corals. I too am curious about the glue you used, and if your biofilter will be adequate. Great job.

OP
OP
Reefphd

Reefphd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, my god man.
I think I've seen pictures of your reef at a LIRA meeting.
That is just simply incredible!

Jude,
It was regular gel cyanoacrylate.

So it turns out that one of my return bulkheads is leaking and won't stop. I glued the hardpipe in, so I have to cut it out.
Unfortunately, I don't know a local place to buy 3/4" bulkheads.

Delays...

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt they would have a picture of my reef at a LIRA meeting, but you never know. :rolleyes:

There is a boating store in Seaford on Meric road isn't there? About a mile or so east of Wantaugh Park. They should have 3/4" bulkhead fittings.

OP
OP
Reefphd

Reefphd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is full and circulating. All bulkheads are holding. Now to raise the salinity.
My Gyre is pushing all my sand to one side... the other Gyre doesn't seem to have the horsepower. Probably needs to be taken apart.
IMG_5495.JPG

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! I keep toying with the idea of doing something like this too.

His & Hers. 240 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. About to start a similar scape this weekend. Mine will be an arch. Touching the sand in one spot and turning into the back glass. I'll be attaching mine to the back glass using magnets and superglue.

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. I'm about to aquascape my 140 1/2 pipe and one of the issues is the height of the tank. I have another up and running and I addressed the issue in that one with ledges but the floating reef idea might just work.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back