Flooring options???

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are going to refloor our entire house and get rid of our chipping/bubbling laminate and carpet. We love the wood look but have 5 fishtanks, 2 large dogs, 3 cats and teenagers. Went to the flooring store today and they highly recommended vinyl plank flooring. Does anyone have any experience with this flooring? The flooring store recommended the glue type due to the weight of the fish tanks. What precautions would we need to take as far as the glue with our reef tank? What other options are out there besides the LVP? Anybody have bamboo under there tanks?

Homestead_Dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All bamboo is a bamboo veneer over engineered hardwood. Its not water resistant.

chris31759

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of installing Karn Dean brand loose lay vinyl plank flooring. I was told by the retailer and manufacturor there would be no problem with the weight. If the tank ever floods, I can pick up the flooring to dry it off. I saw the flooring in a dog training facility. It is a little pricey. Must have been designed by the aquarium industry. Good luck

Ineedhelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
luxury vinyl plank, it is water proof unless the water gets under the planks. If it does you unhook it and set it out to the sun and let it dry.... No warp, no damage....

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the wood look, go with a nice wood look tile. It is amazing.

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Any issues I need to worry about with glue/adhesives? What are some strategies I can take to protect my tanks?

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update... We went with Kardean glue down. No issues with the tanks and fumes. It actually didn't off gas very much at all. 2 weeks after installing in our bedroom a seam blew on my 55g tank. Floor worked perfectly! Was able to shop vac up the water and nothing got underneath the floor (inspected from basement side). Have had for a few months now. Very easy to clean and wipe up the occasional drips from maintaining the tanks. Highly recommend Luxury Vinyl flooring to anyone that wants rustic look of hardwoods.

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After installing laminate hardwood floors 2 years ago and having a new Innovative Marine 16, burst at the back bottom seam and spill all 16 gals, as well as 10 gals from the ATO onto the floor. Which was compounded by the Roomba spreading said water throughout the house.
We said poop on it and went with porcelain wood look tiles and epoxy grout.

Could not be happier with the change. We can hose the floor if we wanted and not have any worries.

Edit: I should have read further and paid attn. to the posting date.. Doh!!!

OP, glad you are happy with the flooring.

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After installing laminate hardwood floors 2 years ago and having a new Innovative Marine 16, burst at the back bottom seam and spill all 16 gals, as well as 10 gals from the ATO onto the floor. Which was compounded by the Roomba spreading said water throughout the house.
We said poop on it and went with porcelain wood look tiles and epoxy grout.

Could not be happier with the change. We can hose the floor if we wanted and not have any worries.

Edit: I should have read further and paid attn. to the posting date.. Doh!!!

OP, glad you are happy with the flooring.

We looked at the tiles too but didn't go that route because they were cold and hard on the feet and annoying loud when the doges walked on them. Glad you like them though, If we ever finish the basement those are a possibility.

Back