Flukes – General Guidelines

lewis.maryann08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they will not host on snails. Your CuC can stay.
How long would i need to keep my tank fishless? I dipped my tank and he had tiny spots come off him not sure if its flake or what they were tiny..

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The majority of flukes will be gone at around ~ 2 weeks fallow. I believe the recommended time to be safe is 4 weeks.

Edit. Just confirmed 4 weeks. List of recommendations for fallow periods below:

Fallow Periods - Below is the general consensus fallow periods for all diseases that require it. In most cases, it is the longest known time period that the encysted stage can survive on corals, inverts, rocks, substrate without a fish host to feed on. The fallow period starts when the last fish is removed from the tank.
  • Black ich (turbellarian worms) - 4 weeks
  • Brooklynella aka “Clownfish disease” or “Brook” - 6 weeks
  • Flukes (monogenean worms) - 4 weeks
  • Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) - 76 days
  • Uronema marinum - No fallow period, as it does not require a fish host to survive. It is an opportunistic parasite that strikes when a fish’s immune system has been compromised. Uronema mainly affects damsels (especially chromis) and clownfish.
  • Velvet (Amyloodinium) - 6 weeks

Last edited:

arju

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi need help is this fluke.? i now qt n dose prazi. i did fw dip before dose prazi. thank you
ba294834c56343f7babd517345aadb08.jpg

takayan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I would like to understand why Freshwater Dip does not work for fluke in gill?
Can FW dislodge the flue in gill?

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would hyposalinity at 15ppt for 1 week kill flukes? I’ve gotten so much contradictory information and I’m so confused. Also, when brining salinity back up, what’s considered a safe rate? Would 2 ppt/day be safe? Thx!

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would hyposalinity at 15ppt for 1 week kill flukes? I’ve gotten so much contradictory information and I’m so confused. Also, when brining salinity back up, what’s considered a safe rate? Would 2 ppt/day be safe? Thx!

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone advise on next steps for prazi resistant flukes? I’ve been dosing in the display.

After my third treatment I noticed a surviving fluke on my clownfish. The parasite is a clear, sesame-sized oval shaped parasite which I assume are flukes.

How should I proceed in eliminating these flukes?
1.Keep dosing prazi at a slightly elevated dose every 3 days to maintain a constant dose of prazi a little longer?
2.remove 15 fish from 180 display, medicate in QT and go fallow on display for 4 weeks?

My previous treatments to date are:
1st dose prazi in display as instructed, waited 5 days to redose.
2nd dose. Waited 3 days and I saw another fluke on clownfish. Decided to do 3rd dose at a slightly elevated dose.
3 days later after the third dose I now see a fluke.

When I last dozed I saw the clownfish spasm as the fluke then died. I know the prazi works, but these things are still alive. :(

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my .02 on prazipro I think Hikari prazipro is good if you can buy it from a source you trust. The problem is prazipro is temperature sensitive if it gets to cold it’s useless and if it is expired it’s useless. I’ve purchased prazipro from big online stores that move a lot of the product and it has showed up and been junk. I would catch the clown fish FW dip it to make sure you are dealing with flukes!!! A lot of times we are not good identifiers of flukes with our eyes they are not visible to most, only really experienced aquarist can usually identify them and they to still FW dip just to verify. I trust powdered praziquantel it’s more stable and less sensitive to cold heat etc. I would treat the fish if positive for flukes in a qt the display has to many things that can interfere with the Med and to many things that the med may harm. If you don’t have a reef just fish you could remove fish and inverts and drop salinity to 1.009 run hypo 14 days. General cure is a good med with praziquantel in it

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hot2na fenbendazole in qt or display?

Catching all my fish in the display to put in qt will be a nightmare. But if it has to be done....

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hot2na fenbendazole in qt or display?

Catching all my fish in the display to put in qt will be a nightmare. But if it has to be done....
Fenbendazole works great as a 12 hour bath dosed at 125mg per gallon. I did it in a bucket with a heater and airstone. You’ll really have to work at getting dissolved though. One treatment is all that should be required. I bought the Thomas labs on Amazon

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.

So capture all fish.
Dip in fenbendazole.
Put all fish in QT, while display is fallow?
Then reintroduce fish...

Does this sound right?

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. How long does the fallow period need to be?

I saw max fluke egg time is typically 8 days. 2 days for juveniles to die off without food.

Then other references was 4 weeks...

Or am I best just treating the display?
I can remove sensitive corals much easier than all 15 fish from my large rock structures... :(

Thank you everyone!

Last edited:

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t treat the DT with fendo. It will make the water milky with fenbendazole that doesn’t dissolve my guess is only a few 100% water changes and/or a very good particulate filter would remove the undissolved powder. It could kill all the worms living in your rock leading to ammonia spikes. Because of how hard it is to dissolve and the resulting milky Water you only want to do fendobendazole in a bath so you can put the fish in and get them out of the water.

I used fendo once to treat Prazi resistant flukes and I think the flukes May have come back, so I’d recommend 2 baths 5-7 days apart if possible. But it’s also possible my fish died from internal parasites, and others seem to have had good results with just one bath.

As for the fallow period the four weeks for flukes May be overkill, it comes from Humblefish, a trusted person who knows more about fish disease than most.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can mix it with food and feed to the fish in the DT...however best would be to trap 'em all out and treat in a QT..there's a thread on here somwhere about fenbendazole,and humblefish can steer you in the right direction as well...HTH

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refresh my memory please.

Praziopro with cupramine? Yes it no?
G.C with cupramine? Yes or no?

#reefsquad Just got next batch of fish up to theriputic level. Come home to two dead fish.FW dip reveal probably 50 or more flukes.....nice ugh.

Or massive water change and hit it with praziopro?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refresh my memory please.

Praziopro with cupramine? Yes it no?
G.C with cupramine? Yes or no?

#reefsquad Just got next batch of fish up to theriputic level. Come home to two dead fish.FW dip reveal probably 50 or more flukes.....nice ugh.

Or massive water change and hit it with praziopro?
Generally you don't want to run any meds with copper. Copper suppresses the immune system, hunger, and depletes the O2 content in the water. Prazi and GC deplete O2 levels as well. So the two mixed together makes for hard breathing. If you must run them together you want ALOT of surface agitation and an airstone running.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally you don't want to run any meds with copper. Copper suppresses the immune system, hunger, and depletes the O2 content in the water. Prazi and GC deplete O2 levels as well. So the two mixed together makes for hard breathing. If you must run them together you want ALOT of surface agitation and an airstone running.
This^ Plus I would use general cure. Much less of a risk for bacterial bloom. Liquid prazi contains alcohol and that is what fuels the bloom whereas the powder form (GC) does not.

Also if they are that heavily infested it may be wise to do a FW dip on all fish before adding GC to the mix. Flukes when exposed to prazi spasm pretty violently and can cause damage. The FW dip is a much calmer release from the fish as the basically just freeze up and fall off. So the FW removal prior to the meds could keep you from running into issues.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back