Freaky Friday: What freaky, crazy, insane thing have you done?

Have you done crazy things for the love of the hobby?

• YES and I'll do more!!

Votes: 257 66.2%
  • No way!

Votes: 49 12.6%
  • Kinda...

Votes: 77 19.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 1.3%

• Total voters

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Define crazy and who is judging that it is crazy? People at work think I'm nuts for spending the amount of money I have spent and building a room in my basement for (according to them) just the filter. And is it crazy to drive two hours one way to a new aquarium store and not actually buy anything?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's hardcore.

I ran it for a few years and thought it was very cool. The radiator kept the LEDs cool and I had some glass tubing in it so I could see the water flowing. There was also a flow switch so if the water stopped, the lights went out.

Where I live now is a brand new building and it was so damp when they built it that the thing kept shorting out due to the open wiring. :cool: But definately cool.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done some crazy things during my time in this hobby like hopping in my car and driving 125 miles on July 4th to buy frags on a whim! I've driven 400 miles one way to pick up a whole LIVE tank system and transport it via my church van to my house! I've paid an insane amount of money for rocks and even used my drill on glass!! HA!

What freaky, crazy, insane thing have you done for the love of the hobby?

1573917308744.png
2 years ago I had a hundred and 20 gallon tank, and a parakeet on top of the tank pooping inside it. Hoping that would feed the corals, the bird's name was called poopy. Unfortunately poopy poop too much and threw off my water parameters, so poopy got a new home and the tank got a new home also. Those were the days, there's other things we did which I'm not too proud of. We'll just leave it at that

1656511-414378633b3e779fbe239785edb3f0d4.jpg

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally dropped my anemone behind a dresser. Couldn’t move the dresser so I slowly scrapped the NEM within reach with a long tool. When I picked it up it was covered in cat food, hair and old litter . It shriveled up but now it’s doing great. This was only a few days ago. I was mortified

I did something similar with a zebra loach back in my freshwater days. I don't exactly remember what happened, but I think I was cleaning the tank and he jumped out and fell behind the tank and I just couldn't see him, and I was home alone so I couldn't move the tank by myself. I accepted he was going to be dead. My step dad got home around 30 minutes later and I asked him to help me move the tank forward so I could get him before it started to stink. Got the tank moved and he was still alive! Plopped him back in the tank expecting there to be no way he survives the night. That was 9 years ago and he's still doing awesome. He was out of the water for at LEAST 35-40 minutes.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The craziest thing for me is just how readily I'm willing to spend money on the hobby compared to anything else. $500 for a few tiny colorful sticks...sure! An extra $1 to add cheese to my burger when eating out...heck no! what a waste of money!

I MAY have pulled out a bit of extra money from savings for an extra light for some better coverage :rolleyes:
LOL!! This is so true!! Or won't drive an extra block for something like my groceries but will drive half a province (I'm in Canada) to pickup a fish.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something crazy just a minute ago. I ordered another tank! I was going to set up my quarantine tank for my corals and inverts that wouldn't be making the transition to my 50 gallon but just now decided instead to buy them a new tank to give them a special place on my desk. IM 10 gallon build incoming!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits need extra shells. I had a few dead snails. I cleaned them really well and to sanitize I put them in the microwave. Cooked dead snails is not a pleasant smell. Heather told me if I have do that again I need to find a lawyer.

The smell made my kids and wife nauseous. The smell lingered for a couple of days.

After 15 dead mice in the bed of my truck in 100+ degrees it takes a lot for me to become nauseous.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done a few. But working on a new record for me. I am afraid to get rid of my 65 gallon redsea. Who would care for the 4 fish in there and the very large LT anemoe? I was supposed to get rid of the tank when I got a 140 gallon one about 5 or 6 years ago. Still have not found them a home. And now I am planning on a new tank, 200 gallon IM tank with internal overflow to replace my 140 gallon tank. Now my husband is insisting I find a home for them before I can get my new tank. So any of you folks who drove hours through a blizzard be willing to come to Casper Wyoming to rescue them? One purple firefish, pair of snowflake clowns and a female target mandarin?

Shelley

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have done a few. But working on a new record for me. I am afraid to get rid of my 65 gallon redsea. Who would care for the 4 fish in there and the very large LT anemoe? I was supposed to get rid of the tank when I got a 140 gallon one about 5 or 6 years ago. Still have not found them a home. And now I am planning on a new tank, 200 gallon IM tank with internal overflow to replace my 140 gallon tank. Now my husband is insisting I find a home for them before I can get my new tank. So any of you folks who drove hours through a blizzard be willing to come to Casper Wyoming to rescue them? One purple firefish, pair of snowflake clowns and a female target mandarin?

Shelley
hi,there are a few members from wyoming here,post a thread, tag me,when i remember, or talk to will send them :)

ReefzJR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something similar with a zebra loach back in my freshwater days. I don't exactly remember what happened, but I think I was cleaning the tank and he jumped out and fell behind the tank and I just couldn't see him, and I was home alone so I couldn't move the tank by myself. I accepted he was going to be dead. My step dad got home around 30 minutes later and I asked him to help me move the tank forward so I could get him before it started to stink. Got the tank moved and he was still alive! Plopped him back in the tank expecting there to be no way he survives the night. That was 9 years ago and he's still doing awesome. He was out of the water for at LEAST 35-40 minutes.
I read more about Nems
After this experience I did more research on Nems. They seem pretty extraordinary, no brain but a network of nerves. They replace their tissue Rapidly. I read somewhere “they can take a beating”
35-40 minutes seems like forever in that situation

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,there are a few members from wyoming here,post a thread, tag me,when i remember, or talk to will send them :)

I talk with them here also. I am one of those folks that would have a lot of trouble with sending them off. I would worry about them. Maybe I could bring myself to getting rid of the anemone. And keep the fish in a 40 gallon. I am hopeless! ;Nailbiting. Did I mention I have had them for around 10 years? Thanks, I will work up to the switch.

v3v3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperband butterfly - i drop it on the carpet floor with all the water in the bag (aprox 5g) when i try to move all from the bag to a bucket for aclimatisation, the fish was newly arrived from a 12h trip . It was semidark in the room and it took me 30-40 sec to find it. I was very very nervous because i was having a bad experience with the first CB. Now is ok, eating, swimming etc. :)

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few off the top of my head:

- Kept a red/giant snakehead for about a year in 1994/1995. It had jumped out one night and I found it dried up the next morning and figured it was dead... til it moved a bit. Threw it back in the tank and it ended up being just fine. Was a cool fish that is now illegal here in the US.
- Decided that I wanted to put in some fish with my 2' fimbriated moray eel. Figured a 7" orange shoulder tang would be fine... didn't see it the next morning. Eel was very fat.
- Made a 5 hour round trip to pick up my 300DD that was fully set up with livestock. Trailer and truck were totally full but it ended up being a success.
- went angling in my tank to catch nuisance damsels, tangs, angels, etc. Maybe not crazy, but certainly fun.
- many other instances of cuts, burns, zaps, bites.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 35 51.5%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back